How Are RC's Mediterranean excursions?

My husband and I are traveling on the Brilliance this August in the Mediterranean. I am wondering if anyone can give me feedback on the RC excursions? They are reasonably priced and seem tempting, especially for us first timers. We dont really mind a big group, and we are not in the market to spend money on a private tour.

Thanks in advance.

Meg

If you let us know what ports you will be visiting and your interests,

I will be glad to help you.

Keep in mind that very often private tours are

cheaper and can offer a far better experience.

However, your comfort level is paramount.

The Ports of Call boards will also give you lots

of info and inspiration.

I agree with the previous poster. In many ports we have used the RCI bus transfers to town centers and do our on exploring. Some private tours are great. We have even hired taxi driver to take us to locations. They will wait for you because you pay them after they delivery you back to the port. Never pay before. We have been on 3 Europe and Med cruises. Most ports were done without RCI accept for bus transfers. We did use a bus tour in Rome. On our last trip to Ephesus,Turkey We did a private tour. I suggest that you pick 1 must see port and spend a little extra for the tour, and do the rest on your on.

Did this twice on RC not including TA's. One with my DH where we did our own thing in ports and once with my DD who was 16 so for safety we did all RC excursions. AIX en Provence we did a city tour, approx 70.00 pp. Naples we did a Pompei and Amalfi coast tour. Fantastic! Approx 100.00 pp. Florence we took the "Florence on your Own" bus to the center of the city went to the Academia, museums, Domo and ice cream in the main plaza. We also did RC's bus transports to the beach in Palma deMajorca and beach in Sardinia. I can't remember the exact costs and are from about 8 years ago so I'm sure they're higher now. All of them were very good and highly recommended if you don't want to go off totally on your own. Have a wonderful cruise.[emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My husband and I are traveling on the Brilliance this August in the Mediterranean. I am wondering if anyone can give me feedback on the RC excursions? They are reasonably priced and seem tempting, especially for us first timers. We dont really mind a big group, and we are not in the market to spend money on a private tour.

Thanks in advance.

Meg

As I replied to another poster, I'm doing all RCCL excursions on my 7/1 Brilliance cruise (I'm only undecided about Kotor, but that is because I'm really not super interested in Montenegro - Italy is the reason I'm on this itinerary) and will definitely review them!

Check your roll call...we saved tons of bucks doing "private group tours"...and made lifelong friends as well!

Not everyone WANTS to do private excursions - especially when they're not PRIVATE but shared. I've known more than one person who got screwed over doing them - or in one case attempting to do one. In that case they had made all the appropriate arrangements, but the people who organized the tour found others they "felt would get along better" and got them put on the tour and my friends kicked off. Another friend signed up for one tour with a group and got in the car and on the way only to discover that the rest of the people on the tour had gotten together and decided that rather than go to one of the places they were supposed to, they'd rather go to another place - that WAS in fact offered on another tour by this company. Apparently this subgroup decided that they really wanted this other tour - which included a lace my friend did not want to go - and not really communicate that with the rest until in the car. And obviously the driver isn't going to turn down extra money to change plans. And as they were already on the road, my friend was stuck paying for and going to a place he didn't want to go in the first place.

Sorry, but on my vacation I'm not willing to risk that kind of trust. The ship excursions may cost more, but you know what you're getting and aren't going to have a group of bullies change things on you without consulting you.

I'm glad that they've worked for you, but they are NOT for everyone.

Have been on several med cruises.

Not sure which exact sailing you are doing and they all vary slightly.

We have done the Pisa by yourself shuttle, which works great if you want to do by yourself. Note that will unlikely give you enough time if you want to climb the tower.

Naples, really enjoyed the Pompeii excursion. I would not recommend Naples. Another option would be an excursion to Capri.

If you are doing Santorini we do ourselves. NOTE WELL the donkeys up are hair raising at times! The last time I did they let the donkeys go up by themselves and someone's donkey decided to stop midway and the people they with with had no option but to keep going:eek:

It's an experience but do on the way up not on the way down;)

Athens, we have found the city sightseeing tour good, with a few nice photo stops on the way.

Malta, depends on what you want to do, but Valetta port is really close to the main part of town, so we just wander ourselves there.

We have always tried to break it up with a few intensive tours and a few DIY days in places we know really well just so we are not worn out by the end of the vacation. If you let me know the ports I can try to assist with any more questions you have.

You will love your cruise.

Enjoy:D

(I'm only undecided about Kotor, but that is because I'm really not super interested in Montenegro - Italy is the reason I'm on this itinerary)

Kotor will be a pleasant surprise for you :D

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=44377657&highlight=kotor#post44377657

Note this the half dat "Perast" RCL excursion in the morning and then on my own the rest of the day. This is one of my favorite days ever at any port of call

Not everyone WANTS to do private excursions - especially when they're not PRIVATE but shared. I've known more than one person who got screwed over doing them - or in one case attempting to do one. In that case they had made all the appropriate arrangements, but the people who organized the tour found others they "felt would get along better" and got them put on the tour and my friends kicked off. Another friend signed up for one tour with a group and got in the car and on the way only to discover that the rest of the people on the tour had gotten together and decided that rather than go to one of the places they were supposed to, they'd rather go to another place - that WAS in fact offered on another tour by this company. Apparently this subgroup decided that they really wanted this other tour - which included a lace my friend did not want to go - and not really communicate that with the rest until in the car. And obviously the driver isn't going to turn down extra money to change plans. And as they were already on the road, my friend was stuck paying for and going to a place he didn't want to go in the first place.

Sorry, but on my vacation I'm not willing to risk that kind of trust. The ship excursions may cost more, but you know what you're getting and aren't going to have a group of bullies change things on you without consulting you.

I'm glad that they've worked for you, but they are NOT for everyone.

All fair comments. I must have been lucky s far... Australia, Italy, Spain, Croatia, Greece, almost.every Caribbean island, Hawaii... I've never experienced the above with the many private tours I've booked which were advertised and run exactly as they are promoted on the company's website.

Private means different things to many people... to some private means "custom", where you tell the tour guide what to do. Private to me means "non-cruise ship" external sourced... correct me if I'm wrong but most on this forum I believe refer to private as the latter. Custom groups may cause the problems you describe but not the fully advertised external company tours which I have found to be more cost effective, better run, spending more time at various venues in smaller groups. Just my 2 cents :)

Check your roll call...we saved tons of bucks doing "private group tours"...and made lifelong friends as well!

We are on the Brilliance cruise of the Mediterranean in September. From our roll call, we were able to organize tours in all of the 9 ports. I'm the one "in charge" of 6 of those 9 ports. They are definitely much cheaper than what is offered by the cruise line. Those tours guarantee that they will have you back at port in time.

If your doing Naples. Just get off the boat, go over to the Hydroshuttles to Capri and then grab a couple of scooters and do the island.

Best excursion I've done, and we did it on our own.

We are on the Brilliance cruise of the Mediterranean in September. From our roll call, we were able to organize tours in all of the 9 ports. I'm the one "in charge" of 6 of those 9 ports. They are definitely much cheaper than what is offered by the cruise line. Those tours guarantee that they will have you back at port in time.

With all due respect RC also guarantee you will be back on time. We had one excursion in Europe where the coach had a minor fender bender. By law the driver was not allowed to leave the scene of the accident until a police report had been done. They had to send another coach for us. We were an hour late back to the ship after all aboard time, due to the time it took to locate an available vehicle and get it to us. Had this been a private excursion we would not have made the ship.

Whilst rare, things can and do happen. That's why some people prefer RC excursions, especially in ports where the places they are visiting are slightly further away from the port.

Don't get me wrong, I am not opposed to private tours, but the pros and cons need to be weighed up and if the OP prefers to use RC for piece of mind, that is their choice.

Forgot to add if you do want to be adventurous in Naples you could arrange for a private car to drive you along the amalfi coast.

My DH and I did this on the fly. When we got off the ship there was a desk that can arrange tours or transportation to where ever you want to go.

I think it was about $100.00 or $150.00 for just the two of us one way to Sorrento. It was lovely in a Mercedes SUV, the driver played a Dean Martin cd singing in Italian! :D

Had lunch in a pizzeria in Sorrento and took the ferry over to Capri where we did some shopping and had a delicious coffee/ice cream and cookie sundae on the main street near the pier and then took the ferry back to Naples port.

We kept a close eye on the clock and ferry schedules.;)

That was a fun day!

The Rick Steve's guide to Med. cruising is a great resource for planning excursions. I have been referencing it to plan some of our excursions on our July 13 sailing on the Brilliance.