Gratuities-can we remove them and pay cash and if so what currency is appreciated

Also a first time cruiser. We have not prepaid gratuities as prefer to tip as we go along. We have opted though for my time dining, will automatically add tips or can they be removed?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

If you want to tip yourself, you need to go to Guest Services and tell them to not debit the auto tips from your account.

If you see tipping as optional in a "serving or service" based industry, you are clearly not from the USA?

The percentage of people who remove there auto grats is around 1-4% depending on the sailing. There is indeed a list printed off of people who have opted out, and the staff is made aware. I've seen it actually, having known someone who works on a RCCL ship.

So yes, it IS shady because those tips are part of people's wage whom you will never even come into contact with on the ship. By removing them you take away part of their wage.

The whole reasoning behind doing the auto grats was because of people like yourself who stiffed their staff on "voluntary" tips that they depend on.

It is a way to be able to pay the staff more.. And not just the customer facing staff.

If they need to pay the staff more, why is tipping the best way?

Royal makes tipping optional because it works for them. It is ok to pay the auto tips, remove auto tips and tip yourself, or not tip. Royal allows this.

If this system wasn't working for Royal Caribbean, they would change it.

ps I want you to think for yourself and not be guilted into doing something a huge corporation wants you to be guilted into, so that they can make even more money. If you like auto grats, that's great. I really don't care what other people do. It is Royal's responsibility to make things work.

Edited by marci22

Not going to defend myself to a bully.

If they need to pay the staff more, why is tipping the best way?

Royal makes tipping optional because it works for them. It is ok to pay the auto tips, remove auto tips and tip yourself, or not tip. Royal allows this.

If this system wasn't working for Royal Caribbean, they would change it.

ps I want you to think for yourself and not be guilted into doing something a huge corporation wants you to be guilted into, so that they can make even more money. If you like auto grats, that's great. I really don't care what other people do. It is Royal's responsibility to make things work.

It seems like you are penalizing the employees who have no say in how their employer compensates them (other than to quit, since they can't unionize).

Also even if Royal wanted to change it (let's say they raised base wages by increasing fares), they would be at a competitive disadvantage in the industry. So it is not as simple as just changing things up.

Edited by Pratique

It seems like you are penalizing the employees who have no say in how their employer compensates them (other than to quit, since they can't unionize).

I don't know why you want to blame the consumer. Why aren't you getting mad at Royal Caribbean? They can add the price of tips to the bottom line if they want to. For some reason, they don't want to.

Suggested gratuities are optional, as per Royal Caribbean. People need to decide what they want to do, and then do it. They don't need to get mad at other people who want to do it their way, or not at all. I truly don't care who does what, but I do get annoyed when people start posting dramatic comments.

Also even if Royal wanted to change it (let's say they raised base wages by increasing fares), they would be at a competitive disadvantage in the industry. So it is not as simple as just changing things up.

How is this my problem?

When anyone complains about Royal cutting this, or changing that, lots of people jump in and say, 'don't get mad at them, they do what's best for the bottom line'. But when a customer doesn't want to do something that is OPTIONAL, some people get all bent out of shape.

Edited by marci22

Exactly.... Thank you for understanding what I was trying to say. Not the best with words sometimes lol. And definitely not a bully. Just feel bad for the staff affected by people not tipping.

Edited by Powersboyee2

Also a first time cruiser. We have not prepaid gratuities as prefer to tip as we go along. We have opted though for my time dining, will automatically add tips or can they be removed?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

If you wish to stop the automatic gratuities you will need to visit guest services and request that they not be billed daily to your Seapass account.

As first time cruisers, I would advise you to leave the tips in place on your daily account. It is around $13 per person per day for a non-suite cabin. This covers your room steward and all food service workers, such as waiters in all locations, and other behind the scenes staff. Automatic gratuities do not include room service. Drinks have an 18% tip added to the package, or to the individual tab you sign.

It is so much easier and takes care of everything for you. In case you are not aware, the ship operates on your Seapass card. You do not need to carry cash, e.g. Wallet or purse. So much simpler and you don't have to carry cash.

It doesn't make any difference what dining you have selected. Should you really want to tip someone extra you can of course give that person cash on top of your billed tips. An example of that might be your room steward - you can give extra on the last day as a special thank you.

Enjoy your first cruise.

Edited by Grandma Dazzles

How is this my problem?

When anyone complains about Royal cutting this, or changing that, lots of people jump in and say, 'don't get mad at them, they do what's best for the bottom line'. But when a customer doesn't want to do something that is OPTIONAL, some people get all bent out of shape.

Lol. I hope someday you will get it.

Exactly.... Thank you for understanding what I was trying to say. Not the best with words sometimes lol. And definitely not a bully. Just feel bad for the staff affected by people not tipping.

And I don't think you mean to be offensive, but every person has to do what they think is good for them. That is how they cast their vote. If the employees don't like how they are paid, they need to complain to the company.

How is this my problem?

Tipping is optional in almost every restaurant I have ever been to. It is optional so that I can decide how much to tip or not tip as the case may be, but just because it is optional doesn't mean I should never leave a tip, because it is how my server is compensated. I guess with your logic I should be getting mad at all of the restaurants I have ever eaten at for not sharing their profits with the waitstaff to make up for the fact that some people may not leave a tip. But that is just not how it works.

And I hope that one day you learn to do what you think is correct, without having to judge others in order to feel important.

I thought you didn't want to argue with a "bully"? Seems to be quite the opposite.

Believe me, cruise critic is not something that would make me feel important lmao. Nor is it a goal.

What is correct IMO is keeping the tips on your account to properly pay the staff who works their tails off. You think differently. That's your opinion to which you are entitled to.

My opinion is that it's shady to do so.

You are the one who argued against my opinion.

I thought you didn't want to argue with a "bully"? Seems to be quite the opposite.

Believe me, cruise critic is not something that would make me feel important lmao. Nor is it a goal.

What is correct IMO is keeping the tips on your account to properly pay the staff who works their tails off. You think differently. That's your opinion to which you are entitled to.

My opinion is that it's shady to do so.

You are the one who argued against my opinion.

Didn't say I wouldn't argue, said I wouldn't defend myself. And I don't think I have.

As Royal Caribbean chooses to pay their employees this way, maybe you should direct your criticism towards them.

""So yes, it IS shady because those tips are part of people's wage whom you will never even come into contact with on the ship. By removing them you take away part of their wage. ""

Royal Caribbean own the Cruise Line, we pay them for our cruise, why should we have to pay

their employees?

What other company expects customers to pay for their employees?

We tip generously for service received from stewards, bartenders and anyone else that has been forthcoming on our cruise.

Tipping is a customers choice, that's why it's called a tip.

The cruise lines should not expect paying customers to also pay their employees.l

It's not shady. Tipping is optional. Many people want to tip those who serve them directly. Royal makes this rule. Right now, some people auto tip, some tip as they wish, and some don't tip. Royal approves of this. It works for them. That's all we need to know.

Actually, they've adjusted the system to at least make it more difficult for the self-centered passengers who want to enjoy the benefits of the service without paying the gratuities, but it gets a little more complicated, if they make it a mandatory fee. That's not quite the same as "approving" of those who decide to stiff the workers, though.

How is this my problem?

Hang in there Marci22,we agree with you 100%. :)

The cruise lines should not expect paying customers to also pay their employees.l

Of course they should. Where else does the money come from, if not from the paying customers. They could choose to do it in another way, by increasing the base fare, rather than using the "gratuities" system, but either way, it's the paying customers who pay for the employees. Under the current system, though, there are those who will take advantage of those employees for their own benefit. (And try to convince themselves that they're still good people, because RCI "approves" of them doing so.)

Edited by Paul65

Actually, they've adjusted the system to at least make it more difficult for the self-centered passengers who want to enjoy the benefits of the service without paying the gratuities, but it gets a little more complicated, if they make it a mandatory fee. That's not quite the same as "approving" of those who decide to stiff the workers, though.

If Royal allows it then yes, they are approving it.

Some of the more passionate posters might not understand that 'removing tips' doesn't necessarily mean that someone is 'not tipping', they are just tipping who they want to tip.

It's not really tips though now, is it? One portion goes to dining and culinary services. There is no breakdown. I am sure that if a certain person doesn't tip his 'share', it won't directly penalize James T. Carrotpeeler, or Ms. MTD Server, as they are basically getting a portion of what's collected, and Royal is either subsidizing the rest, or giving out bonuses (ha), depending on the cruiser demographic for that particular week.

It's a mystical system, and they continue to use it, so it must work pretty well. That's why I don't see the need to get so crazy about those who either want to tip themselves, or don't tip. The same thing has been going on for years now. And it's still 'working'. For Royal, anyway.

Of course they should. Where else does the money come from, if not from the paying customers. They could choose to do it in another way, by increasing the base fare, rather than using the "gratuities" system, but either way, it's the paying customers who pay for the employees. Under the current system, though, there are those who will take advantage of those employees for their own benefit. (And try to convince themselves that they're still good people, because RCI "approves" of them doing so.)

I think the current system works for the service industry as a whole because in the end it is a wash - customers who tip generously compensate for those who tip very little. Many years ago my sister was a server in a Mexican restaurant in a Florida tourist area. Some days she would get great tips, and other days she would be stiffed (like the day a European party of 10 took up nearly all of the tables in her section for her entire four-hour shift, spent hundreds of dollars on food, but left no tip at all). Week-over-week her tip totals were fairly consistent (working six days a week), so it probably just ends up coming out even in the long run, but she still had bills to pay and depended on tips for that.

That's right! If the company is going to give you the option of screwing over their employees, you should take it, and blame the company for trusting that to their customers. :cool:

Paul, I don't understand the drama. If it's working, it's working. If it didn't work, Royal would do something else.

Nope. Those words (allow and approve) have different meanings, and one does not imply the other.

They could just raise their prices, and have everyone contribute equally, right? Why don't they do that?

Edited by marci22

Paul, I don't understand the drama. If it's working, it's working. If it didn't work, Royal would do something else.

It works well enough, because it's a relatively small percentage who screw over the employees. They tried to reduce that percentage, by making the gratuities an automatic daily charge. I'm sure that did help, but there are still some who go out of their way to get those charges removed, so they can still screw over the employees.

Royal could, of course, take another step in trying to change it by making it a mandatory charge that you can't remove. That would have some other legal and tax ramifications, so I suspect for now, they'll leave it as is. It's not all that mysterious.

Edited by Paul65

Royal could, of course, take another step in trying to change it by making it a mandatory charge that you can't remove. That would have some other legal and tax ramifications, so I suspect for now, they'll leave it as is. It's not all that mysterious.

Yes, exactly. If they made it mandatory and increased our cruise prices to compensate to appropriately pay their staff, there would be increased labor taxes as well. That would result in almost double the amount we as consumers would have to pay.

I am very happy to have the auto gratuities included in my onboard account, especially with My Time Dining and the plethora of included fare food options onboard. It would be a pain in the rear to try and tip each of those people individually (imagine tying to tip $1 each time I got a slice of pizza or a small sandwich from promenade or park cafe?). Since we eat at varying times, MTD works well for us and we are often seated in different areas with different staff so this makes it easy to not have to carry cash to dinner each night.

Yes, you can remove them. I do think it is nearly impossible to tip each person--even customer facing--that you come in contact with over the course of a cruise that are included in the pooling of those auto-gratuities.

And I do prefer the system the way it is rather than having to pay double to take care of the additional taxes if it were mandatory.