Gratuities-can we remove them and pay cash and if so what currency is appreciated

I absolutely agree with you that CC should be a resource to educate people however I do take issue with your comparing gratuities to bringing soda on board.

While it does state no soda is allowed to be brought on board we all know how dilligently Royal works to keep its website updated.:rolleyes: We also know that Royal employees and their agents also knowingly let people on board carrying soda in plain sight and even delivering it to their room for them. It's not like people are sneaking soda or water on board in "rum runners". This is no different than many "laws" that are currently on the books in every state that are not enforced and clearly have not kept up with the times. I would hazard to guess that you have broken a few yourself.;)

Unless a policy is enforced it is really no longer a policy or rule.

http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states/florida

Oh, I am in complete agreement with you. I really am.

I am just pointing out that others will say it is okay to violate a policy (even if it is arbitrary policy) yet the same people advise others it is not right to exercise a choice that falls WITHIN another policy (no violation of the policy).

I'm sure I've violated plenty of policies, ordinances, or laws in my time here on Earth. But I can't recall a time I've set out with malicious intent to do so.

Oh, I am in complete agreement with you. I really am.

I am just pointing out that others will say it is okay to violate a policy (even if it is arbitrary policy) yet the same people advise others it is not right to exercise a choice that falls WITHIN another policy (no violation of the policy).

I'm sure I've violated plenty of policies, ordinances, or laws in my time here on Earth. But I can't recall a time I've set out with malicious intent to do so.

Totally agree on that point.

Hello

Our first time on RCI and we are wondering if it is possible (as we did on our on Holland America cruise) to remove the daily gratuities and pay cash at the end of our short sampler cruise? If it is possible, what currency is appreciated by the staff.

Thankyou

Nell

I have always paid my gratuities in cash post cruise, only to those who have taken care of me... . not just the room attendants, but to other staff across the ship. Always in $US

I have always paid my gratuities in cash post cruise, only to those who have taken care of me... . not just the room attendants, but to other staff across the ship. Always in $US

I would just like to point out that the entire crew is taking care of you. Keep that in mind if there is ever an emergency on board.

Welcome to Cruise Critic - you and the OP unfortunately joined on a thread that many times goes off the rails and brings out some "different" opinions - hope you are not scared away.

No... not at all.... the differences make conversation.....and may even give us ideas....

I would just like to point out that the entire crew is taking care of you. Keep that in mind if there is ever an emergency on board.

Yes....agree on that point....and appreciate the staff for making our vacation wonderful....

It is wrong for any cruise company to use auto-gratuities. Tipping is a choice. If RC do not want it to be a choice then call it a service charge and add the amount to the cruise fair. Or pay your staff a decent wage. As discussed before in this thread tipping is also a culture thing and varies from location to location.

It is wrong for any cruise company to use auto-gratuities. Tipping is a choice. If RC do not want it to be a choice then call it a service charge and add the amount to the cruise fair. Or pay your staff a decent wage. As discussed before in this thread tipping is also a culture thing and varies from location to location.

Whether it's right or wrong, it is how Royal Caribbean has chosen to help compensate their employees. And whether you agree with it or not, if you choose to remove the auto gratuities and tip separately or chose not to tip(which is what's good percentage of the people who remove them do), you are depriving hard working people of their income they need to support their families. Hey I get it you are ok with it. But it doesn't change the fact that that is what is happening.

Edited by Lordnlkon

Whether it's right or wrong, it is how Royal Caribbean has chose to help compensate their employees. And whether you agree with it or not, if you choose to remove the auto gratuities and tip separately or chose not to tip(which is what's good percentage of the people who remove them do), you are depriving hard working people of their income they need to support their families...

Excellent reply and true on all counts. Many people don't like it, that's the thing. The member you quoted is from the UK and there and in Europe, tipping is absolutely "different" than in North America. I actually see that the ones who disagree with the tipping/gratuity/service charge policy/suggestion (choose your noun!! LOL!) are located outside of North America.

Gratuities

Q: Am I required to pay these adjusted totals?

A: Gratuities are at the discretion of each guest.

No ifs, ands, or buts.

Tipping used to be directed at named crew: waiter, steward, etc. Now RC has decided to add other behind the scenes people to this pool. What changed? I don't think any more money is going into the crews' pockets; we are just subsidizing a broader category of wages.

I don't think it's wrong for people to tip as they wish.

Just be honest. I don't want to tip because I'm cheap. Don't act like you are a big tipper on your own. Just be honest.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Excellent reply and true on all counts. Many people don't like it, that's the thing. The member you quoted is from the UK and there and in Europe, tipping is absolutely "different" than in North America. I actually see that the ones who disagree with the tipping/gratuity/service charge policy/suggestion (choose your noun!! LOL!) are located outside of North America.

Always seem to agree with many of your posts! Well said! Also find the same policy on most of the major cruise lines. It is the way the industry works. Not just RC

Also often find most visitors to the US don't realize the same thing applies to restaurants here. Workers make a very basic minimum, often around $3 an hour, and the rest of their salary is from tips, which they are taxed on. Don't want to start another thread, but as we all travel more, worldwide, we should all try to learn what is expected/normal, etc.

Just be honest. I don't want to tip because I'm cheap. Don't act like you are a big tipper on your own. Just be honest.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Was a nice civil conversation despite your attempt to make it not so. Guess you had to try again with your belligerent behavior. Don't see what gives you the right to attack others. Act like an adult

I thought you swore off RCI when they took away balcony smoking. Guess not

Sent from my B1-730HD using Tapatalk

Was a nice civil conversation despite your attempt to make it not so. Guess you had to try again with your belligerent behavior. Don't see what gives you the right to attack others. Act like an adult

I thought you swore off RCI when they took away balcony smoking. Guess not

Just curious - do you see that your post is precisely a prime example of what you are complaining about?

Edited by yogimax