Would the Ultimate Beverage Package Be Worth It?

Hi, My husband & I are sailing on the Dec 23rd Oasis 8-day cruise.

The Ultimate Beverage package is being offered for 20% off, total price $500 per person for the 8 days. Or $62.25 per day.

I am trying to figure out if it's worth it to buy one. Can we share the benefits? Could I order a water or juice for my husband and give it to him on the sly? How closely does the cruise staff monitor that?

My husband doesn't drink alcohol, but he does like fresh juice for breakfast and maybe a hot chocolate or frappacino from Starbucks. He doesn't drink coffee.

I do drink alcohol & coffee, but am not a huge drinker. Maybe a couple of pina coladas by the pool, a cocktail or two before dinner. A glass of wine with dinner & I love espresso pretty much any time.

I don't know if this would be a value for us or not.

What are your thoughts?

The Ultimate Beverage package is being offered for 20% off, total price $500 per person for the 8 days. Or $62.25 per day.

I am trying to figure out if it's worth it to buy one. Can we share the benefits? Could I order a water or juice for my husband and give it to him on the sly? How closely does the cruise staff monitor that?

My husband doesn't drink alcohol, but he does like fresh juice for breakfast and maybe a hot chocolate or frappacino from Starbucks. He doesn't drink coffee.

I do drink alcohol & coffee, but am not a huge drinker. Maybe a couple of pina coladas by the pool, a cocktail or two before dinner. A glass of wine with dinner & I love espresso pretty much any time.

What are your thoughts?

Sharing a package is not permitted. It could be costly if caught. Usually, the breakeven on an alcohol package is 6-7 drinks per day. Everyday, including port days.

Your husband might do well with the Royal Replenish package ($19/day).

As Johnamac123 pointed out above, they can cut your package if they find out you are sharing. Given the cost of the packages, I do not believe it is a risk worth taking. Now, from what you told here, it seems to make more sense that you get a Premium package for you (which includes the cocktails and more expensive by-the-glass wine), and a Royal Replenish for your husband. It would be about the same price (perhaps a little bit more expensive) than getting the Ultimate package for one person, and you wouldn't run the risk of getting caught sharing the package and having it cut off.

However, AFAIK, none of the packages include coffee or any beverages from Starbucks. They do include specialty coffee from other venues though.

A package is PER PERSON. You can't share. if you both want to drink, you both have to bay the package. With the booze prices, if you drink 4-5 drinks a day, you'll come out ahead. NO SHARING.

Others have covered sharing, but as for "worth", it's really an individual decision. I drink a lot of soda, but never get a beverage package. I'd rather go a week without soda than pay for a package, so for me it isn't worth it at all, but that's a personal decision. If you know you will want to drink on the cruise, you can find menus and price lists here, then figure out exactly how much you would expect to spend ala carte and compare that to the package price.

RCI permits only one person in cabin to get a drink package, or you could also get your husband a non-alcoholic plan like the Royal Replenish which would cover essentially all non-alcoholic drinks.

As others have said, sharing is not suggested.

Most beers costs about 6 dollars, and cocktails are around $10-$12. So, you need to drink about 8 drinks a day to break even with the 62 dollar price tag. This review has more details about the costs and break-even points of the packages http://eatsleepcruise.com/2015/03/royal-caribbean-drink-packages-review/

If he wants just a packet of hot chocolate, that's free on the ship. If he wants the espresso stand chocolate sauce put into milk, that's not free. It would be about $3. A frappucino is $4 or 5. If he doesn't want a huge glass of fresh squeezed OJ in the morning, he can get the Small for about $3. The large (what you get automatically with Replenish or Ultimate) is over $4 OOP. But if he likes OJ from concentrate and doesn't need the fresh squeezed, then that's included.

I see about 4+ drinks per day plus espresso any time...do the math. Does ultimate work? Only you know.

Don't share. It helps to ruin it for all of us when people share and are caught.

What are your thoughts?

Not likely.

1. Sharing is a big no no. If you are caught sharing, you walk the plank.

2. The package does NOT include Starbucks from standalone Starbucks locations ( Oasis, Allure, and Harmony). It does include specialty coffees from the cafes onboard.

Have a look at the breakdown by Gambee to see if you'll get the benefit- http://www.cruisewithgambee.com/royal-caribbean-drink-package/

What are your thoughts?

Others have covered the sharing issue.

As to the economics, only you can say if a package is a value for you or not. However, based on what you've said, I think you are probably better off paying as you go. If you drink two $10 pina coladas, two $12 pre-dinner cocktails, and a $12 glass of wine, each and every day (including port days) without fail, you would be just above the break-even point for the Premium package ($49 + gratuities).

I am curious how you heard about the discounted beverage package. Were you notified or did you find information on it? We are on the 12/23/16 sailing of the Anthem and I am wondering if there is any chance they are offering the discount on our sailing as well. Thanks!

I am curious how you heard about the discounted beverage package. Were you notified or did you find information on it? We are on the 12/23/16 sailing of the Anthem and I am wondering if there is any chance they are offering the discount on our sailing as well. Thanks!

People have been seeing the discounted packages in their Cruise Planner.

Just another drink package question does any include whiskeys or after dinner liquors?

Yes, with the Premium and Ultimate packages,as long as they are $12 ($14 on cruises out of Europe) or less.

Edited by clarea