Need advice on packing for an Alaskan cruisetour

Paoli Travler

Hello! Not sure if I am posting in the right place or not (my first time). My wife and I will be leaving in about 45 days on an Alaskan cruisetour with Princess to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. I am trying to figure out how to pack for this without bringing my whole closet. We have decided to skip the formal nights, so we don't need the formal wear. But other than that, we are kind of lost. This is our second cruise. The first one was about 20 years ago and was to a warm region. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

We did a post cruise land tour with Princess last June and it was great! Are you aware you can pack a smaller bag just for the land portion and have the cruise bags handled separately? It's nice that you don't have to deal with them until the cruise or the end of the land tour. We had two small carry-on's that we used during the 5 nights after the cruise and when we arrived at our last hotel in Fairbanks, the others were waiting for us.

Edited by mek

yep, layers ! And Alaska cruises are casual. Jeans and khakis to dinner are fine.

People tend to overpack for Alaska; changing all 3 layers each day or twice a day if they change for dinner. Take advantage of the ships laundry service. Spending $40 is a bargain if it helps you avoid bringing a 2nd heavy suitcase.

Keep in mind that you only need to change the layer next to your skin daily, so bring a 5 or 6 short sleeve/long sleeve shirts/T's. The next layer is warmth so bring 2 or 3 fleeces, sweatshirts or hoodys. No one will notice or care if you wore that grey pullover on Monday AND Thursday! Final layer is a hooded waterproof jacket. Add a couple of capris/shorts in case you're lucky enough to have warm sunny weather. I wear jeans primarily and khakis. Sneakers and good walking shoes. Swimsuit for the pool.

Bring a small daypack - a place to put your jacket if the day warms up or if the day gets ugly you can pull out your jacket,(and its a safe place for your camera, wallet, sunglasses, tickets, binoculars, etc).

Beyond the layers .... gloves for small boat trips or glacier viewing, a baseball cap or hat to protect against sun and rain.

There are numerous trip reports posted in STICKYs near the top of the forum. Many of these reports are detailed photo journals. Pay attention to the people in the background and you'll notice what people wear on the ship, at dinner, on excursions .... usually jeans and jackets.

Edited by mapleleaves

If you go under "search this forum" from the main AK page, and type in "packing list", it will take you to some threads that have links to actual packing lists. It's all about layering in AK, and being prepared for changes in the weather during the day. We go into port with a backpack, so we can add layers, or take them off. It also contains anything we might need during the day.

Edited by Djaye

We will be doing our land tour first (DB4). I'm wondering about the same thing. I know how to pack for Alaska as we have been before but not sure what to send to the ship --if anything. We plan on doing laundry onboard so apart from a few items like a change of clothes and what we will wear for formal nights (basically pants, shirt, and tie for DH and Travelers Dress for me) there is not enough to fill a 25" bag. I'm pondering on putting those items in a carry-on bag to send to the ship. I'm still not clear on how we will carry DH's CPAP and water on the land portion along with a day pack.

I'm still not clear on how we will carry DH's CPAP and water on the land portion along with a day pack.

I'd also like to hear from others about this. I know it can come on the plane in its case as a medical device, along with my personal item, but not sure if I can take it along with the alloted backpack/carryon for the bus and train portion.

And for the plane, I'll have the cpap case, my personal item, and a carryon to stash in the overhead bin.....and one checked bag that I already have to pay for. :eek:

I'd love to hear how people have pared down the number of outfits they take, as well as how they decided what would go in each bag, or if they packed their cpaps differently, to reduce the number of bags they had to schlep around. I hesitate to pack the cpap in checked luggage though...

I'd love to hear how people have pared down the number of outfits they take, as well as how they decided what would go in each bag, or if they packed their cpaps differently, to reduce the number of bags they had to schlep around. I hesitate to pack the cpap in checked luggage though...

I don't have a cpap but even when I spend 2 weeks in Alaska I never have more than 1 wheeled case and a day pack. I spent almost a month in Europe with 1 wheeled case and shoulder tote. I even packed my daypack.

As I posted above it's quite simple to pack light .... several t's or shirts, 2 or 3 fleeces/sweaters/sweatshirts, 2 or 3 jeans, khakis, capris/short. Wear your heaviest shoes on the plane and pack a pr of sneakers.

Dinner ... 1 pr black jeans or cotton pants, black slip on shoes, shirt/blouse, sweater. Dress it up with a scarf if you want.

Don't overthink the packing. Alaska is sooo casual. As long as you're clean, no one cares about your 'outfits'. Plan on doing laundry on the ship. $40 +/- for this service is cheaper than extra baggage fees and avoids the agony of schlepping multiple suitcases to and through airports.

I'd also like to hear from others about this. I know it can come on the plane in its case as a medical device, along with my personal item, but not sure if I can take it along with the alloted backpack/carryon for the bus and train portion.

And for the plane, I'll have the cpap case, my personal item, and a carryon to stash in the overhead bin.....and one checked bag that I already have to pay for. :eek:

We would never put the cpap in checked luggage. We have tried all sorts of combinations of baggage and none are perfect. I have ordered a hard side carry-on spinner bag that meets airline requirements and am thinking that we can put the cpap, meds, and whatever else will fit in there for the flights. Then use it for our "go to the ship" bag with different items in it. For the land tour bus and train rides the cpap (and meds) will be in it's own case carried by DH and I will have a day pack.

As to cutting down on outfits --think casual mix and match. We typically take a week's worth of clothes then do laundry. So for us that usually means taking a 25" bag each to a cooler wetter climate.

Thanks, Mapleleaves and Alaskanb...

I've already been collecting clothing that i can mix and match...I'd like to keep it to 10 or 12 pieces and do laundry when we get on board.

I have an Eddie Bauer rainfoil parka and a Columbia fleece, and I'll have 2 sets of long sleeve shirt, short sleeve t, tank, and hiking pants, one pr jeans, as well as a v neck sweater, and a hoodie that should match all. For the ship I have a great sleeveless LBD for formal night that rolls up nicely, and I'll throw in some low heels and a couple of pashminas. Maybe 1pr black dockers or dark denim, 2 nicer tops and ballet flats for other nights in MDR. Week of undies and socks, too, of course! And earmuffs and gloves. And then, toiletries are a whole 'nother thing! :D

I have a 25in which I have to pay to check, and a 19in, and I'll use them for the flight out. I have a daypack which I may just pack inside a suitcase for later use, so I can just take my cpap and a small wristlet with travel docs on the plane, along with the 19in carryon.

Wow I know I'm overthinking this, but its nice to have this forum to see how other cruisers figured out how to pack their bags for both portions of the tour and what they felt worked out best.

We are doing land 4 days pre cruise and adding 3 days in Seattle post cruise. I have a feeling the laundry room on our Princess ship will be visited.;) Color coordinating and being not afraid to repeat pieces make packing easier.

We will be on a Cruisetour (land first) in August with NCL. I understand NCL doesn't have the "meet me at the ship" option for a bag you don't need until the cruise starts. At least that's my TA said they told her when she asked.

Can anyone confirm this? If that service isn't available I guess we'll just have one bag (probably fairly small) that will follow us around but we won't need anything from it during the land portion. But it would still be nice if the info the TA got was wrong and we didn't have to deal with the extra bag.:rolleyes:

Thanks for any information.

Linda

Admittedly I worry about every scenario and barely manage to travel with one 26" suitcase tnat barely comes in under the max weight and a gym bag styled nylon carryon that is pretty full. Wish I had the ability to pack just one pr. of jeans (like one poster above mentioned)! No way. I'd likely fall into a mud puddle or something the first day! And even re: luggage wt., one pr. of my dh's Levi's weigh 2 lbs. 8 oz. (Yes, I actually hung them by a loop on a luggage scale to check). He's 6'3", 185 lbs. - so not over weight. One pr. of his shoes takes up SO much room! Start adding in sweatshirts, fleece, sweaters and formal wear, then there are things like binoculars, cameras, etc., and before you know it, you have reached the wt. allowance! I think light packers are definintely in the minority! I WISH I could travel lighter, but it ain't happenin'. So I wind up HATING to pack!

Another issue regards laundry. Everything you pay to have laundered for you will end up in a hot dryer, probably a bit smaller than the last time you wore it. At home I put jeans, pants, tops, shorts, etc., in a dryer for about 2-3 min. on low w/a dryer sheet, then hang them to dry. I've done, and will end up doing, wash on the ship, but finding a place/way to let clothing air dry in the cabin isn't easy. So I end up drying things that I later wish I wouldn't have. Also, it not fun to spend time doing laundry on the ship, running back and forth. Often the washers are taken up and you have to wait and keep checking for an open one.

Regardless, the tips above are helpful. Gives me something to aspire to, lol!