Sky 3-day 5/6-9 Review

RobinKY

Just got off Sky 3-day yesterday and my comments are below. First some background on me. This is my first NCL and had done CCL for my prior 3 cruises. We are from Midwest and enjoy fun, sun and ice cold drink poolside. We are not foodies but would never consider eating at a golden corral and try to avoid fast foods.

Assigned check in time was 1230 and we were planning on arriving much earlier but ran late. We got there 1230-1ish and check in was easy. We parked at the port ($20/day) which was super convenient. Went thru security and got in line. Quickly to the counter and got checked in and on our way.

I guess Sky is an older NCL ship but compared to the older CCL ships, I thought the Sky really outclassed those CCL ships. It is a nice ship! My only issue was it was difficult to get the lay of the ship easily. Smaller (atrium) elevators seemed slow but I eventually found elevators dedicated to stateroom areas. I had a mix up with the wife and meeting her for dinner at the Crossings MDR. You have to cut thru the night club and another bar on level 6 then head down to level 5.

We hung out pool side 2 days and had a great time. They have bar service down smoothly and at most had to wait 4-5 minutes for a drink during peak times. Drinks were decent and we tried a variety. They did have trouble keeping beer cold at the pool bar. I thought the pool was better than CCL pools. We had no issues getting chairs either day. They have poolside bbq late afternoon which is a nice touch. After dinner, we hit the night club which seemed to be very lively.

It is a party cruise but no body was out of control IMO. I would say most guests are 30-40s. Being out of Miami it has a very Latin-Cuban feel to it.

Food

MDR for breakfast is a must for me. I don't like the buffets. Food was good at breakfast. Not as good as the Sea Day Brunch's like on CCL but this was a 3-day cruise with no sea days.

The MDR for dinner 3 nights. I think the food was decent. Not great but good. I had the Steak Chimmichur which was terrible - tough thin strip. I got the goulash too which was pretty good. I am pretty picky (no sea food) and the one thing I really liked about the NCL dinner menu is that it had more options I liked compared to CCL. I usually found 2 entres I liked on the featured menu and their standard dinner menu had 3-4 entres that sounded good too. I know a few times on CCL nothing sounded good to me. I wish it would have been a longer cruise so I could have tried everything.

We found that the Italian restaurant is free for lunch and offers made to order pastas and pizzas. This was nice and not crowded.

We only had the buffet 2x late night (limited menu) and I liked the chicken I got but some of the other stuff didn't look too appetizing - pizza, hot dogs, etc.

Overall I thought the food was just as good as CCL if not a tad better and definitely had more options that I prefer to eat.

GSC

We had a great time on GSC. We got there late and many of the beach chairs were taken but we eventually found two. We quickly moved to some chairs by the Baccardi bar patio. Close to the bar obviously and close to the bathrooms and not dealing with the sand. Bar lines would be long at times but that is to be expected.

We both came away big fans of NCL and the Sky.

Thanks for your review! Sailing the Sky for the second time next month and looking forward to it. Sailing with a number of first-time cruisers, so I'm hoping the experience is a great one for them!

• 2 weeks later...