Haven getting too expensive?

Ktuluorion

I am not understanding all the weak analogies here. The thread is about the high Haven prices. In some instances they have almost doubled. If you think its worth it then do it and enjoy it. There are many like myself this is a big splurge and like the others what you get is not always worth that kind of money. Chocolate strawberries, a cheap bottle of sparking wine, a slightly bigger cabin, a less crowded tiny pool, and slightly better restaurant. Does that equal thousands of dollars more? Or would you like to get 2 or 3 cruises compared to your one Haven?

I just think the Haven got really popular and that has increased the price.

I'll give you a non cruisers perspective. We hardly do cruises. We're into camping with our 5th wheel. It's been IIRC 5-6 years for our last cruise. Before that we did cruise once a year, maybe skipping a year and on occasion 2x one year. Did that off and on since 2011.

For those that go every year and several times a year and that's all you do then that's cool. I can totally understand the reasoning behind the 3 for 1 scenario. We have done insides, balconies, spa suites, no OV though, but never ever thought we would be in a Haven suite or any other 2 room suite. We probably won't be doing another cruise for several years. So as they say, we're putting all our eggs in one basket. It's our one time blowout special.

We also spend another $1000+/- to fly out form the west coast. For those that are on the east side and only have to travel a short distance it's understandable that you'd want to maximize your fun.

My wife and I've said over and over, how cool would it be to live on the east coast with all the cruise options. We look at cruise vacation sites and see all the last minute deals. I'd do 2-3 cruises every year too if I didn't have to spend $1000 to fly out plus the hassle of flying and could wait till the last minute to book a room, knowing that I could drive to the port in a day.

So just giving a different perspective on why some book a Haven.

I'm sure there are a myriad of reasons. And most can justify the cost.

FWIW we've had just as much fun doing an inside as we have in a spa suite. But sometimes, and maybe since we're older, we just feel like being pampered.

To each his own and people have different priorities and budgets. We're on the Gem in 2 weeks and we have 5 of us so we have to either book 2 connecting rooms, or the 2 bdrm family suite. When we booked, pax 3-5 were in a "sail free" promotion so the non-haven family suite came out to about $6K. the haven family suite, for effectively the same room, the same overall perks, and access to the haven pool and sundeck were $8K. Two connecting balcony rooms, with 4 people paying full fare was also about 6K. Sure the haven is nice but I can't justify an extra 2K for a pool and some nicer deck chairs. But having suite perks for the same price as 2 rooms was a no brainer.

I found the cost of the haven prohibitive as well, it was so much less expensive to book adjoining balconies for myself and 3 kids. No, we didn't get the haven, but we did get more room, 2 tvs, and 2 bathrooms, plus the udp. We had no trouble getting shows and I booked excursions, I like planning so it worked out well for us. I would rather cruise twice in 2 balconies than once in the haven, but I know others have different opinions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread really got me thinking. We have always cruised with our three kids and always in suites. Our first cruise with them was Disney, we got upgraded to a 2BR suite and were hooked. For the five of us on NCL, RCL,a 2 bedroom suite was about the same as two connecting balconies ..a little more, perhaps but the perks were worth it.

Last cruise we had a FFP with connected balcony. We all had Haven privileges. The kids used the Haven lounge to play cards, we had breakfast and one or two dinners there.

When husband and I decided on a cruise for our anniversary I automatically booked a suite, uphold myself to a bigger suite. Final is due shortly .

HAd I not seen this thread I may have just bitten the bullet and paid close to 7K for the 2 of us. YEs, 4 perks and 300 OBC.

I just can't see it anymore. Changed to a large aft balcony. Including the gratuities on the dinner and drinks we are saving over 4000.00. We have 4 ports, we don't have parties or entertain in our suite ( cuz with 3 teens that would even be possible!) and we enjoy each other's company.Our butlers have always brought cookies and gummy bears, I need neither. Concierge got us down the elevator early for excursions..not an issue.

I am actually embarrassed that I even considered spending that kind of money with three kids head to college in the next three years. Yup- we have lost loved ones young , life is short....but 4K is 4K.

As many have said.to each their own. I am so glad that the OP started this conversation. I raise my glass to the OP-and will toast them from my large aft balcony with my "free plus gratuity" cocktail whilst I sail away with my spouse.CHEERS!!!

Cool post, DrNora, thanks for the insight

I am still confused by something, many people have posted that the haven ends up only bring a little more than 2 connected balconies (which is what we do for 4 people), but every time I price it out, it's more than double the cost. Is it the time I am sailing? Always peak, unfortunately, as I don't take the kids out of school

Cool post, DrNora, thanks for the insight

I am still confused by something, many people have posted that the haven ends up only bring a little more than 2 connected balconies (which is what we do for 4 people), but every time I price it out, it's more than double the cost. Is it the time I am sailing? Always peak, unfortunately, as I don't take the kids out of school

We don't take them out either and sail in the summer now. My most recent 2 balcony vs suite comparisons have been RCL 2 balconies vs NCL FFP and adjoining balcony. With the OBC and perks we got last summer the price was the same. It has been a couple years since I compared solely on NCL, so I misspoke. I do know that the 2 BR suites on the big NCL ships now are ridiculous. I used to book at least a year in advance as they went quickly. Not so much anymore!

This thread really got me thinking. We have always cruised with our three kids and always in suites. Our first cruise with them was Disney, we got upgraded to a 2BR suite and were hooked. For the five of us on NCL, RCL,a 2 bedroom suite was about the same as two connecting balconies ..a little more, perhaps but the perks were worth it.

Last cruise we had a FFP with connected balcony. We all had Haven privileges. The kids used the Haven lounge to play cards, we had breakfast and one or two dinners there.

When husband and I decided on a cruise for our anniversary I automatically booked a suite, uphold myself to a bigger suite. Final is due shortly .

HAd I not seen this thread I may have just bitten the bullet and paid close to 7K for the 2 of us. YEs, 4 perks and 300 OBC.

I just can't see it anymore. Changed to a large aft balcony. Including the gratuities on the dinner and drinks we are saving over 4000.00. We have 4 ports, we don't have parties or entertain in our suite ( cuz with 3 teens that would even be possible!) and we enjoy each other's company.Our butlers have always brought cookies and gummy bears, I need neither. Concierge got us down the elevator early for excursions..not an issue.

I am actually embarrassed that I even considered spending that kind of money with three kids head to college in the next three years. Yup- we have lost loved ones young , life is short....but 4K is 4K.

As many have said.to each their own. I am so glad that the OP started this conversation. I raise my glass to the OP-and will toast them from my large aft balcony with my "free plus gratuity" cocktail whilst I sail away with my spouse.CHEERS!!!

Excellent post, Dr. Nora. Life is short - and being smart about how we spend our money is a gift in itself!

Enjoy your cruise!

I am not understanding all the weak analogies here. The thread is about the high Haven prices. In some instances they have almost doubled. If you think its worth it then do it and enjoy it. There are many like myself this is a big splurge and like the others what you get is not always worth that kind of money. Chocolate strawberries, a cheap bottle of sparking wine, a slightly bigger cabin, a less crowded tiny pool, and slightly better restaurant. Does that equal thousands of dollars more? Or would you like to get 2 or 3 cruises compared to your one Haven?

I just think the Haven got really popular and that has increased the price.

Then why are so many Haven stateroom classes so unsold? As posted previously, they are at $6,500 for the same stateroom we had for $3,500.

And, as posted, there is an abundance of staterooms in the Haven Spa class for early June Bermuda cruise.

So, IMO, it is not supply and demand. If it was really popular, these staterooms would have been sold out 6-9 months ago; they are not as they are still available today.

JIMO.

My two sisters and I just priced out a Haven Suite on the Escape vs. The MSC Yacht Club. The prices for the Haven were $2,000 more than the MSC yacht club. We have always sailed in suites, not necessarily the Haven and we are shocked at the increase in price on NCL. We really love cruising NCL but not at that price. Since we really enjoy the space and perks that the suites offer, we are now looking for other cruise lines that can offer suites at a better price. We ended up booking MSC Yacht Club this week. We also booked Princess for our cruise to a Alaska which was $2500 less than NCL in the same type of suite.

We sail on the Breakaway every May to Bermuda. We always reserve the same aft Haven suite. We book it one year in advance. I went to book it for May 2017 several months ago. The price had increased $1200 pp. We are passing for 2017.

As an old economics professor told me, it's all about the utility curve. Depending on the cruise, and cash, I might be willing to spend almost twice as much for a balcony vs an inside. But spending 3X as much or more for a suite? I haven't justified that difference. That's where the marginal utility isn't worth it, at least for me. Maybe when my ship has come in.🙄

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

As an old economics professor told me, it's all about the utility curve. Depending on the cruise, and cash, I might be willing to spend almost twice as much for a balcony vs an inside. But spending 3X as much or more for a suite? I haven't justified that difference. That's where the marginal utility isn't worth it, at least for me. Maybe when my ship has come in.🙄

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Lol with us it's the marginal propensity to consume!!!

We need to pay tuition plus we need to take vacations so bottom line we do cheap insides in order to pay our kids very reasonable after scholarships etc college tuition

A combo of picking the right priced cabins plus the right schools being funded by retiring from the right company lol

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Crusin6

If you have to worry about how much you are spending then that answers the question on how much you should spend. In a capitalist society its all about what others are willing to pay for something. I have similiar feelings as you when it comes to the themed suites at WDW. Just can't do it. Stupid money to me.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by SadricAmber

I would NEVER pay that for the Haven when I can sail one of the luxury lines that are all inclusive for about the same price, but provide much better value.

This.

We pick NCL when we need a three-star floating hotel to get us from interesting port to interesting port.

When we want the five-star treatment, we pick a line that knows how to do it.

My feeling is (and it is only an opinion and I could be totally wrong) is that NCL is pricing Haven higher on purpose even if it leaves them lots and lots of empty Haven cabins that they have to upsell.

There are some people (probably not likely to be on CC) that will pay whatever the asking price is for the Haven. Maybe if even 10-20% of the Haven is sold at asking price, it would be enough to cover the rest of the Haven.

NCL can then upsell the rest of the Haven close to sailing and it will still get them more money than what they got for the balcony cabin.

This way, NCL doesn't "devalue" their product trying to "move" cabins.

People who are willing to pay a premium asking price for the Haven may book far in advance or even last minute. By maintaining an inflated price for the Haven, NCL can get those last minute bookings at full price. Upsell to fill the rest and then only have to sell the more economical cabins to the mass market.

The "sale prices" to upsell are never advertised or available to the general public and thus, their premium "product" is never devalued. If they price the Haven more reasonably, it may "sell out" earlier and lock out those that would have paid ANY price.

Those lucky enough to get an upsell think they have won the lottery. Those (few) that are use to opening their wallets for a premium product regardless of price will be none the wiser. Unless they are members of CC, they may not even realize that upsells can be a regular occurrence on larger ships during non-peak periods.

When the Haven was a newer concept, NCL had more attractive pricing to "lure" people to try it. Even people where price was no object, needed to wooed from more premium cruise lines.

Now it seems like every other review is tooting the Haven. NCL feels like it is now a "known" product and they can now charge more and lock in those cruisers that will pay regardless and then fill the rest later through upsells.

My gut tells me, NCL is weeding out the majority of cruisers on purpose through pricing and saving the Haven for those that are able and willing to pay for it. And then if the regular people are lucky, doing us a favor and letting us in when there is room at a "bargain."

Again, I could be totally wrong which wouldn't be the first or last time! Lol. :D

Edited by gsc500

We have been traveling NCL for 8 years. We have only traveled in suites and in the Haven when the ship has it. We have definitely seen more of an increase in the price of our NCL cruises than we have seen in other aspects of travel such as hotels, flights, theme parks, etc. We travel probably 75% of the time for the get away and cruise experience and 25% of the time for the destination. We are now looking to do an all inclusive resort to see if we get more bang for the buck when we just want a get away. We would not be considering this if it weren't for the price increase.

My feeling is (and it is only an opinion and I could be totally wrong) is that NCL is pricing Haven higher on purpose even if it leaves them lots and lots of empty Haven cabins that they have to upsell.

There are some people (probably not likely to be on CC) that will pay whatever the asking price is for the Haven. Maybe if even 10-20% of the Haven is sold at asking price, it would be enough to cover the rest of the Haven.

NCL can then upsell the rest of the Haven close to sailing and it will still get them more money than what they got for the balcony cabin.

People who are willing to pay a premium asking price for the Haven may book far in advance or even last minute. By maintaining an inflated price for the Haven, NCL can get those last minute bookings at full price. Upsell to fill the rest and then only have to sell the more economical cabins to the mass market.

The "sale prices" to upsell are never advertised or available to the general public and thus, their premium "product" is never devalued. If they price the Haven more reasonably, it may "sell out" earlier and lock out those that would have paid ANY price.

Those lucky enough to get an upsell think they have won the lottery. Those (few) that are use to opening their wallets for a premium product regardless of price will be none the wiser. Unless they are members of CC, they may not even realize that upsells can be a regular occurrence on larger ships during non-peak periods.

When the Haven was a newer concept, NCL had more attractive pricing to "lure" people to try it. Even people where price was no object, needed to wooed from more premium cruise lines.

Now it seems like every other review is tooting the Haven. NCL feels like it is now a "known" product and they can now charge more and lock in those cruisers that will pay regardless and then fill the rest later through upsells.

My gut tells me, NCL is weeding out the majority of cruisers on purpose through pricing and saving the Haven for those that are able and willing to pay for it. And then if the regular people are lucky, doing us a favor and letting us in when there is room at a "bargain."

Again, I could be totally wrong which wouldn't be the first or last time! Lol. :D

I

I think you have a good point, but I have done the Haven 2x and loved it, but because the prices are so high now, I booked another cruise line for this summer. I didn't want to risk not getting an up sell. I am also looking for summer 2017 and the prices are so high, I might book another cruise line again.

I tried to quote gsc500 but it didn't work for the reply. I hear what you are saying, but NCL lost my business this summer. I have travelled in the Haven 2X and loved it but this summer the price was to high, and I didn't want to risk not getting an up sell. So I booked with a different cruise line. Also I am already looking into summer 2017 and it is also to expensive, so I will probably book another cruise line again.

I'm shocked to see that even the basic Haven Penthouse is 4-6k on most sailings now. I'm by no means cheap, but it really seems like the premium that they are placing on these suites has drastically outpaced the value that they provide.

Is anyone else in the boat where they would book Haven suites if they were a little cheaper? I'm curious if ultimately NCL will adjust the perks or lower the price. It seems like they are not selling out on most cruises, and people are just upselling for much less.

I would imagine the cruise line would prefer to sell suites for 3.5k rather than have people book rooms for 1.5k and upsell for $500.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Try the MSC yacht Club, better and much cheaper. Lots of people moving over.

Try the MSC yacht Club, better and much cheaper. Lots of people moving over.

That's exactly what we did for April 2017. We are in the Yacht Club and are actually excited to try a new line. As Rocky555 mentioned, we booked with another cruiseline, Princess, for our Alaska cruise as well. Suite for suite comparison, NCL was 3000 more for a similar itinerary. They are losing a lot of business.

Edited by annietownsend

Sailed recently on Getaway. Wanted to book Haven again for late September- not high season by any means. The H6 we want is 7k for two, the H7 6k and a regular penthouse 6k.

Absurd. For the week we are looking at all but two H9 are available, all the H7 and half the H6. Will book a balcony but won't pay more than 500 if perchance an upsell comes. The in Haven penthouses are just big hotel rooms- nothing special. I would take one for a reasonable figure.

Our last cruises were booked about 1 year in advance and suites sold out rather quickly.

The new promo starts tomorrow - we'll see if the prices move as well.

Edited by Zabetty

FInally have checked out MSC. Can do the Yacht Club for half of the Haven.

HALF!!!!! Was looking at an Escape cruise, we are now booking MSC . Looks amazing and the savings are incredible.

The Yacht Club looks a bit nicer than the Haven ( but pictures can be deceiving)

Royal Caribbean has nothing to compare to this.

One last NCL and then I am switching. I dont feel like playing the waiting for possible upsell game when I can book a suite NOW for next year at half of what NCL wants.

Thank you, CC folks! We never even looked into this before as we travelled with kids/now teens all the time. We can get two suites for the price of one in the Haven. Boo-yah!!

Thank you, Annie Townsend and others!!!!