Civitavecchia port to Rome- any tour that picks up at ship and drops off in Rome?

dasi11

Civitavecchia port to Rome- are there any tours that picks up at the ship and drops off in Rome?

In the past I have cruised out of UK ports and they have wonderful tours that pick up after your cruise and take you to Stonehenge and other locations before taking you to London and dropping you off at your hotel or airport.

I am trying to find something similar for Rome. I have not found a convenient way to leave the port with luggage and do a tour before going to the hotel or airport. I love having the luggage stored under the bus with no worries, and getting in a day of touring after a cruise.

I also have not found a convenient way to leave the port other than a private taxi? Is there no other easy way to leave the port?

I was just on here searching for the opposite: arriving in Rome (FCO) by 10am and wondering if we could check one site off our list by doing a quick tour of something in Rome before heading to the port, since we'd have a few extra hours (hoping to be at the ship by 4pm).

Curious to see if you find a recommendation, as it sounds like a great idea - good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I am using smart tours but I'm kind of bummed because I already paid and now notice their bus doesn't leave until 930. I wanted to leave right when ship gets in so now I'm missing two hours.

I noticed italytoursharing.com has a transport service for round trip now very reasonable. I would of used them but I don't think they had it when I booked so early.....shoot!! Italytoursharing would pick up right at 730 .....darn... May have to just train it!!

Maybe I am not understanding the questions....?

Any number of private drivers recommended on here and elsewhere would be happy to customize a day or half day for you, including a pickup at the port (most can pick up near the ship), touring and drop off. Or vice-versa from airport to port.

The issue is that these services don't come cheap, and they generally aren't shared unless YOU put together a group yourself....

If you are looking for a "tour" in the form of a bus -- it's just not available.

Options include: regular taxis, private vehicle, shared shuttle services (but these are generally only point to point), and of course the train.

Edited by cruisemom42

They do offer day trips to Rome but you have to return to the port. It is only designed for day trippers on the ships and not final stops. I asked if there happened to be a ship in port could we take the excursion and then just stay in Rome and not return on the bus to the ship. Not possible... luggage would be a problem.

Here is an example of what I had hoped Rome offered. This tour is fantastic as are the others from the other ports in the UK.

https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_to_london_shared_bus.html

For London they had separate buses. One went into London and the other went to the airport.

I enjoy riding high up in the bus and seeing everything in the distance. A private driver may or may not be any good... The view is not much from a car or small van.

Part of the problem may be that Rome is not exactly "on the way" between the port at Civitavecchia and the airport at FCO. It's a long way out of their way plus a lot of traffic to get into and out of Rome.

A large bus would not be, IMO, a great way to see much of Rome. Too many pedestrian areas and small streets that a bus cannot enter. You could not, for example see Trevi Fountain or the Pantheon from a bus.

While I am usually loyal to Royal, this trip I am on Oceania. They do not offer any trip like that unless you book their hotel in Rome. It still does not have any touring, it is just the trip to the hotel.

• 4 weeks later...

We used Rome Cab Co to take us from Civitavecchia to Rome which included the transfer as well as a 5 hour private tour of Rome. We were met timeously at the port and taken to all the major attractions of our choice as well as some not so well known by the majority of tourists, then were taken to the airport for our flight, all this for Euro 254. The service was excellent, I could not recommend them more!