Car service after debarkation in NY

We're going on the Breakaway on 7/1. We live in the city and I'm planning to book a car service to pick us up and drive us home after we debark. What time would you plan to tell the car service to pick us up? Or would it be possible to just book the car service and then call them when we debark to advise we're ready? TIA/ :)

We're going on the Breakaway on 7/1. We live in the city and I'm planning to book a car service to pick us up and drive us home after we debark. What time would you plan to tell the car service to pick us up? Or would it be possible to just book the car service and then call them when we debark to advise we're ready? TIA/ :)

Talk with the car service...I'd suspect they'll be happy to do the second one.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

As long as you aren't in a hurry to be "rush" home in the city (see the dog/cat, kids, etc.) - take it easy on disembarkation morning, enjoy the full breakfast in the MDR and let the kettles/herds rush off first, there's plenty of time to call your favorite local car service as the BA come up the VZ Bridge (you will have a solid cellular signal by then) en route to the Hudson River pier (at least 45 minutes before docking & another 30 to 60+ minutes before "Express" Self Walk-Off are called, which we always avoid ... we are 30 to 45 minutes from the pier, northeast of LGA)

Or, "ring" up Dial7 or Carmel (which we've been using for 10+ years, also for airport) on the free mobile app (iOS & Android) to book a pickup at the pier, typically across 12th Avenue at W. 48th Street ... as they can disptach & have a car ready to meet us in 10 or 15 minutes, which is the typical time after clearing CBP downstairs, to walk out to 12th Avenue (no calls allowed in the secured border control/customs area or luggage hall) & cross the street.

Both car service are among the largest in the city with a fleet of several hundred plus vehicles of assorted sizes, with their own garage/gas station & service/"staging" or hold area across the city, including airports - and we've never worried about not having us picked up promptly. (East Coast Departure sub-forum has plenty of threads & discussions about it all)

** Besides, Sunday morning on an early summer return to NYC - traffic would be very light & easy for car service to get around ... depending on your destination (elevated BQE at the Queens-Brooklyn border is one of the exception ... horror show, day & night for the next several years until the new bridge over Newton Creek is finished with lane closures & shifting)

If you usually work with a large car service, then give them a call and ask directly.

It's very possible that during arrival mornings for large ships, they may have quite a few reservations, so they'd have a bunch of drivers in the area during some period of time.

This wouldn't be the first time for a large car service, etc.

They'd also have familiarity with 'where to be picked up' issues.

If not, you might try a different company.

Thanks everyone. I think I'll call Carmel or Dial 7 and see what they think. I don't want to take a cab because I live in Brooklyn and it's a pretty long ride and it will be a lot cheaper for the car service than a cab ride. I normally use a car service in Brooklyn that's close to where I live, but I can't see using them when it would take them a good 40-45 minutes just to get to the terminal. It would be easier to use a service that can get to us in Manhattan easily.

As long as you aren't in a hurry to be "rush" home in the city (see the dog/cat, kids, etc.) - take it easy on disembarkation morning, enjoy the full breakfast in the MDR and let the kettles/herds rush off first, there's plenty of time to call your favorite local car service as the BA come up the VZ Bridge (you will have a solid cellular signal by then) en route to the Hudson River pier (at least 45 minutes before docking & another 30 to 60+ minutes before "Express" Self Walk-Off are called, which we always avoid ... we are 30 to 45 minutes from the pier, northeast of LGA)

Or, "ring" up Dial7 or Carmel (which we've been using for 10+ years, also for airport) on the free mobile app (iOS & Android) to book a pickup at the pier, typically across 12th Avenue at W. 48th Street ... as they can disptach & have a car ready to meet us in 10 or 15 minutes, which is the typical time after clearing CBP downstairs, to walk out to 12th Avenue (no calls allowed in the secured border control/customs area or luggage hall) & cross the street.

Both car service are among the largest in the city with a fleet of several hundred plus vehicles of assorted sizes, with their own garage/gas station & service/"staging" or hold area across the city, including airports - and we've never worried about not having us picked up promptly. (East Coast Departure sub-forum has plenty of threads & discussions about it all)

** Besides, Sunday morning on an early summer return to NYC - traffic would be very light & easy for car service to get around ... depending on your destination (elevated BQE at the Queens-Brooklyn border is one of the exception ... horror show, day & night for the next several years until the new bridge over Newton Creek is finished with lane closures & shifting)

Wow. Impressive suggestions [emoji1303]

OP from Brooklyn, definitely don't use a metered taxi - call Dial7 or Carmel ... we use our local car service as they have dozens of cars/vans minutes away as their base is around here. A flat rate is better as traffic/road conditions are unpredictable at best, even for Sunday.

On return, we give the business to Carmel - always worked for us & never failed, will be doing that again at the end of the month when we return on the BA, on a Sunday too. If we call our local car service for a pickup, it's typically 30+ minutes vs. 10 to 15 for Carmel.

Thanks everyone. I think I'll call Carmel or Dial 7 and see what they think. I don't want to take a cab because I live in Brooklyn and it's a pretty long ride and it will be a lot cheaper for the car service than a cab ride. I normally use a car service in Brooklyn that's close to where I live, but I can't see using them when it would take them a good 40-45 minutes just to get to the terminal. It would be easier to use a service that can get to us in Manhattan easily.

We live in Sheepshead Bay and usually take a car service to the port and a taxi home. It usually costs the same or maybe 5-10 bucks more depending on the traffic.

We used Dial7 both to and from the ship. We set the pick up time for 9:15 and it took us longer than I expected to get through customs but the timing with the car service worked out perfect so you may want to call them and ask for advice.