Do the shorter cruises usually not attract much roll call interest?

I just signed on late for a 3-day cruise on the Sky as a Memorial Day break and went looking for the Roll Call and noticed that there wasn't even a roll call and many of the other Sky roll calls had limited activity as well. I always enjoy meeting others on the ship. Is this par for the course?

No they don't. The short haul cruises ever usually attract anyone for roll calls. I've done quite a few and it's been a ghost town for them. A lot of folks book onto those type of cruises last minute and as a result are not looking to connect but rather party. Just hang out that nightclub and bars and you'll find all the people! :)

I'm on a 4-day Sky cruise in June and have posted once on our roll call; however, it's been very, very quiet (we've had our cruise booked since last August). I think many (not all) people try shorter cruises as their first cruise are not even aware that something like Cruise Critic exists. Of our group of 10 in June, 7 are first-time cruisers and hadn't heard of CC until I mentioned it. So I think some of that plays into quiet roll calls, too.

Have fun on your cruise!

My experience with Roll Calls (albeit not as extensive as some folks here) is that they just don't seem as busy in general as they used to be. When i did my Alaska cruise in 2007, the roll call here was very active. When we did our last cruise, it seems that there was very little activity but there was a Facebook roll call which was very active. So I wonder if people are just congregating in other places. Our upcoming cruise for this summer has maybe 6 messages in it. I really hope the roll calls stay more active.

One of the reasons people are active on roll calls is to share information on ports - with the only stop someplace like Nassau or Freeport there is little to say. Also, those short itineraries seem to be booked either by people looking for a booze cruise (who are not likely to want to connect), last minute bookers (who have no time to chat), or first-timers wanting a short, trial, cruise (who do not know about CC).

For whatever reason, a four day trip from Miami to Nassau and back will certainly not draw the interest of an 18 day trans-Atlantic with a bunch of port calls in the Mediterranean --- when there will actually be something to talk about.