Possible missing passenger - Liberty

redstapler7

Wow. I hope the person is ok. But if they jumped, wouldn't it be more prudent to stop the ship at this point and begin a search as well?

Think about how long it would take to stop a ship that size. They would would need to estimate where the person would be based on approximate time of them going missing, wind speed, etc. It is basically an impossible task.

Someone on FB reported that the ship is stopped.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Just looked at the map channel. Shows we are still traveling at 19 knots. We are on an interior room this cruise, so I can't confirm if the tv is accurate.

Think about how long it would take to stop a ship that size. They would would need to estimate where the person would be based on approximate time of them going missing, wind speed, etc. It is basically an impossible task.

I don't doubt it; but better to begin the procedure to stop it right away to increase the chance of saving a jumper. Better still if they had those motion cameras that Jim Walker talks about .

Wow. I hope the person is ok. But if they jumped, wouldn't it be more prudent to stop the ship at this point and begin a search as well?

That is part of the procedure. We went through a similar process one evening on one of our sailing - the ship stopped (amazingly fast) when it was thought that someone went over board.

Same announcements for a specific person followed by search lights out in the water. For us in about 30 minutes the passenger was located - it was determined that a chair had been thrown overboard. :eek:

But it was fascinating to see how everything kicks in and who goes where and does what. It is VERY planned and practiced!

They would know if she was left in port because her name would be flagged in the system.

Not necessarily. A few years ago on Princess, the person I was traveling with had to cancel within 24 hours of the trip to care for a sick parent (incidentally, this was the last cruise where I did not purchase travel insurance).

Even though we called and told Princess the night before she would not be boarding, and told them when I checked in, once we were at sea, they started feverishly trying to reach her. Luckily they found me quickly and I assured them she never boarded.

So, it is possible for them to think somebody is on board when they actually aren't.

Sadly, the current situation sounds bleak though.

That's quite an assumption!

Not an assumption.

Anyways, just got told the sweep of the ship has been completed. Still missing. :( Everyone is still being told to stay in their rooms.

Edited by BrotherCraig

Update:

Corey, the CD, just came on the PA saying the search was nearing completion and to keep the passenger and her family in our prayers. He will update us more shortly.

This is very sad.

Also, I will try to figure out how to remove her name from my previous post, but not sure if I know how. May take some time as this wifi is very slow.

Thanks for the advice

Not sure how you'd know??? :confused: The procedure is the same for a missing passenger child or adult.

Someone posted that crew are going into each cabin calling the person and stating they wont be in trouble to come out.

Not an assumption.

Anyways, just got told the sweep of the ship has been completed. Still missing. :( Everyone is still being told to stay in their rooms.

Actually that is what has been reported by multiple passengers on the ship posting on multiple Facebook groups.

Ok...noted!

If it's a child I would think it's a better chance of finding them eventually. They wouldn't think to jump and it's damn hard to fall overboard. A woman in her 20's however could choose that option. Either way, I hope they are found safe

Someone posted that crew are going into each cabin calling the person and stating they wont be in trouble to come out.

Yes - that's what they do child or adult!

Others have posted here that it's a female - adult.

Edited by happy cruzin

I thought the ships had some kind of censors that went off if someone or something went overboard. Is that not true? I find it alarming she has been missing since 1:30 AM and this is just now happening. Of course, it may not be Carnival's fault as they may have not been notified until recently but if my spouse or friends never came back to the room one night and I didn't see them again the next morning you can bet I would be freaking out a lot earlier than this.

1:30am ?? And they are just starting a search now? That can't be good

People may have assumed she went to sleep in a friends cabin or met someone or who knows.

Last seen and "oh crap where is she" could be 12 hours apart.

Edited by kayhold

I thought the ships had some kind of censors that went off if someone or something went overboard. Is that not true? I find it alarming she has been missing since 1:30 AM and this is just now happening. Of course, it may not be Carnival's fault as they may have not been notified until recently but if my spouse or friends never came back to the room one night and I didn't see them again the next morning you can bet I would be freaking out a lot earlier than this.

No they don't. I think the law is supposed to require it, but from what I read on cruise law news, they don't have them because of the high cost of installing them.