Possible missing passenger - Liberty

redstapler7

My insurance policy covers for suicide after the policy is in affect for 2 years.

Bill

Yes. I sadly say that my father did "that", but not on a ship, but in his office, and the insurance paid.

I pretty much dismiss the knife / blood thing, as the video likely proves otherwise. Sorry, but it was just a dumb maneuver on her part, whether fueled by alcohol or not.

Remember the kid, forget the Carnival ship he was on, that climbed up the restricted area radar mast, and got hit in the head by the spinning antenna and fell to the deck and died?

What do we need to do to prevent people from doing stupid things? Sadly, there's not much. Do we put signs all over the deck rails that say "Do Not Sit On Deck Rail- You Could Die"? I think not.

So, on to the next one, in another month or so.

Yes. I sadly say that my father did "that", but not on a ship, but in his office, and the insurance paid.

I pretty much dismiss the knife / blood thing, as the video likely proves otherwise. Sorry, but it was just a dumb maneuver on her part, whether fueled by alcohol or not.

Remember the kid, forget the Carnival ship he was on, that climbed up the restricted area radar mast, and got hit in the head by the spinning antenna and fell to the deck and died?

What do we need to do to prevent people from doing stupid things? Sadly, there's not much. Do we put signs all over the deck rails that say "Do Not Sit On Deck Rail- You Could Die"? I think not.

So, on to the next one, in another month or so.

Also remember the guy who had been drinking and tried to jump down levels in the atrium and fell to his death? Can't remember the ship. Whether land or sea, folks make stupid choices all the time. And it is pretty rare on a cruise ship given how many cruise ships are out there each day.

If the video shows her climbing up on the railing by herself, why do you still think there might be a possible crime?

Just because she climbed up by herself, doesnt mean there was no crime. Someone could have pushed or thrown something at her. Not saying there was a crime, just saying her climbing up herself doesn't stop there from being a crime.

I don't know anything about her husband or any of that, I just know that most life insurance policies won't pay if a death is ruled a suicide, whereas they will pay if the cause is accidental.

I have never heard of a policy (I work in the industry) that completely excludes suicide. They always have a cooling off type period, so you dont buy a policy just to cash out. 1-2 years is standard, and after that they will cover it.

Just because she climbed up by herself, doesnt mean there was no crime. Someone could have pushed or thrown something at her. Not saying there was a crime, just saying her climbing up herself doesn't stop there from being a crime.

If you are pushed, wouldn't you tumble onto a deck or two below? Hitting head/body part along the way? It would take some force to be pushed outwards.

Also remember the guy who had been drinking and tried to jump down levels in the atrium and fell to his death? Can't remember the ship. Whether land or sea, folks make stupid choices all the time. And it is pretty rare on a cruise ship given how many cruise ships are out there each day.

Oh yes, I remember. I cannot disagree with anything you say.

All here should remember that they have this on video, and there has been no evidence that she was pushed, stabbed, etc. Some folks do not want to realize that at times people make tragically bad decisions, and are looking for a reason more palatable instead.

This will not be the last time this occurs and, yes, I am very pragmatic about it.

"prag·mat·ic

praɡˈmadik/

adjective

dealing with things sensibly and realistically in a way that is based on practical rather than theoretical considerations."

As I said above, let's move on to the next one in another month or so, and there will be another 500+ posts, and the result will be the same.

Sounds like the two friends with her went to bed and she stayed out. Aparantly she climbed on the railing, sitting on the rail and fell in backwards. There was many hours of drinking that day. I think it was a tragic case of drunken misjudgment that cost her life.

I agree with this Sewingmama. Sometimes when people go on vacation, they act in ways they would not act in their home towns. On cruise ships I have seen people eat until they threw up, drink until they could not stand. Some people have an attitude like, "I'm on Vacay, I will do whatever I want!" They think food has no calories, that alcohol won't get them drunk, they'll walk alone on the ship at 2, 3am in the morning and think nothing of it. I don't know what happened to this lady, maybe we will find out, maybe we will never find out. I just feel bad for her family, especially her children, who might never know what happened to their mother.

If you are pushed' date=' wouldn't you tumble onto a deck or two below? Hitting head/body part along the way? It would take some force to be pushed outwards.[/quote']

I am a little confused by this reply. If the news reports say she fell, how is she getting the force outwards you describe? Just falling wouldn't she land on the desk hitting body parts on the way down as well? I would think even a slight push would give her more force outward than just slipping and falling

I am a little confused by this reply. If the news reports say she fell, how is she getting the force outwards you describe? Just falling wouldn't she land on the desk hitting body parts on the way down as well? I would think even a slight push would give her more force outward than just slipping and falling

Why do people keep asking or stating that she might have been pushed?

Carnival has video and would see if there were anybody with her.

Also, people keep on assuming she was depressed or had other mental illness to do this; there is absolutely no evidence of this at the moment - none.

People do stupid things all the time (and climbing on a cruise ship railing and sitting on it is STUPID).

Andy

If you are pushed' date=' wouldn't you tumble onto a deck or two below? Hitting head/body part along the way? It would take some force to be pushed outwards.[/quote']

Perhaps not at that point on a Conquest class ship. It's somewhat slab sided to the water right there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

FWIW, Carnival Cruise PR has replied to the person who posted the alleged "spill and knife found" tweet.

Carnival Cruise PR replied with these two tweets:

• We have confirmed that the stain pictured above are the residuals of a spilled red-colored cocktail.
  • There is no foul play suspected. Your photo merely shows a spill on the deck. No knife found.

A Houston Chronicle new story quoting Carnival spokeswoman Joyce Oliva says:

Foul play is not suspected, according to Oliva, who said reports of blood and a knife found on the deck were false.

"The ship's command has advised that the stain on the deck is from a spilled frozen drink believed to be a strawberry daiquiri," she said.

Edited by ewenix

That form is specific to ebola and doesn't refer to anything mental or otherwise health related. Just mentioning that form in regards to this suggests that the form isn't read in general.

I just read ours tonight because we sail this weekend!

i mentioned the form because i haven't sailed in over two months......it simply means my memory from something 2 months ago isn't great, not that i can't read what is in front of my eyes. ;)

You didn't really post these questions and statements in any context did you? Are you remotely insinuating a Carnival ship weighed the legal and moral dilemma before deciding to search for the missing passenger?

Let me put your mind at ease; if a passenger jumps (no one falls without contributory action) overboard on three or three hundred consecutive cruises the ship from Carnival or any line will do all within their power to find them.

I totally agree.

As an experienced yachtie, I just want to point out that if there is a distress call of any kind, most all boats will try and help out without hindering the SAR.

In some situations, and before GPS, you are at the mercy of your fellow boaters.

Also, I'd like to point out to the posters calling for lawsuits, it is almost impossible to sue the cruise lines. You agree to this when you purchase your fare.

Because anyone that has actually ever been on a cruise knows, you don't just fall off the ship accidentally! No way, ever!

My family, teenage daughter to be exact, has taken many selfies with her feet planted safely on the deck. She got some great shots, I must admit, without climbing on the rails. There are so many beautiful photo ops in and around the ship. No need to climb an extra 3 feet for the perfect picture.

This was no accident!

especially at night time where the entire background would be black.

I've sailed on the Conquest twice and the spot that they were set up for the investigation based on pictures posted here and on twitter is one of my favorite places on the ship. It provides a really good view of the ocean, and I can understand why she wanted to go there. I can't understand what caused her to climb on the rail.

It looks to me like she was at the point where the lido deck widens slightly and so does deck 10 (on the left in this image of the old lido setup on the Conquest):

conquest.jpg

If that is the case then the image below shows that once over the initial slant of the metal then there's a possibility she could have hit the water without hitting anything else:

x_stern_full5.jpg

The whole thing is spooky, and I really feel for her family and friends who have to live without her now.

Edited by WLHyatt

Love how the media reports this as "falling overboard" They make it seem like the railings are too low and that cruise ships are unsafe. Fact of the matter is you have to be doing something stupid to go overboard!

I don't get caught up on the verbs. She was on the ship; then she wasn't.

How she got there was anyone's guess without proof

And none of this helps.

When the barge design fails, we can move cruising into... SUBMARINES! That'll save lives, for sure. No one but no one can fall off a friggin' submarine.

No, they'll just open the hatch and drown everyone along with their stupidity.