Possible missing passenger - Liberty

redstapler7

Your statements redEding the coast guard. In fact, they are conducting a search for her now. It was really tacky and disrespectful for you to insinuate that Carnival didn't do more because they didn't want to offer the other guests FCC for complaining.

Thank you firemanbobswife, I have no idea what "Rena" is talking about.... I just posted prayers for the people.... Maybe Rena921 should re-read what you are linking to?

Prayers for the family and her, hope the Coast Guard finds her...

I am so sorry, the quote was meant for another poster. Blame it on user error. Once again, I'm sorry about that!

It's not the coast guards job beyond 1-2 miles from the coast. There have been people recovered from the ocean that have been out for many hours beyond 12 before. It's kinda silly to not make an attempt.

Carnival must not want to pay out everyone's FCCs of 20-30% from people whining about missing a port.

People don't want to miss a port. But according to those links, the Coast Guard is looking for her.

Edited by oldvato

Most ships are also registered in other countries so they are basically untouchable legally.

The questions today for Carnival becomes what is the Morally Correct vs. Legally Correct response?

For the other passengers on the ship what sacrifice should they be asked to make in a situation like this? How long should they be asked to have their vacations interrupted?

The other piece in play here is the Carnival Liberty has missed it's stops in Cozumel both of its last two sailings. This is the third consecutive sailing with the potential to miss Cozumel again or be significantly delayed by today's events.

You didn't really post these questions and statements in any context did you? Are you remotely insinuating a Carnival ship weighed the legal and moral dilemma before deciding to search for the missing passenger?

Did you really post about fellow passengers having their vacations interrupted?

Let's look at what has been reported from multiple sources. A woman passenger was last seen around 2 am this morning. Immediately after she as reported missing the Liberty crew launched a full blown effort to find her. Several hours had passed since she was reported missing, and they reviewed security video to see the time stamp for the tragedy.

Let me put your mind at ease; if a passenger jumps (no one falls without contributory action) overboard on three or three hundred consecutive cruises the ship from Carnival or any line will do all within their power to find them.

Edited by BallFour4

Did you really post about fellow passengers having their vacations interrupted?

This is legitimate. This is America in 2016 and I'm willing to bet no less than 10 people already visited guest services and removed the tips and/or demanded compensation for being forced into a lockdown.

Edited by Steve Dore

This is legitimate. This is America in 2016 and I'm willing to bet no less than 10 people already visited guest services and removed the tips and/or demanded compensation for being forced into a lockdown.

Wouldn't take that bet.

Looking at your screen name, my dad was a checker for 1351 in Houston. Retired in 1990. He's with us at 88.

Edited by BallFour4

Sending prayers for the family, crew, and other passengers.

I would like to add that on the last two cruises I have been on, the most recent Dream in Feb '16 and then Triumph '15 there have been overboard scares.

Dream turned out to be a jacket that blew off deck. But we stopped, and looked.

Triumph, we came to a complete stop. Standing on our nose. Wheeled around like something from a movie, and made circles in the area until we found all were accounted for on the ship.

Our CD on the Triumph explained the whole process in great detail. If someone had see her go over...the ship would have stopped there.

I am so sorry, the quote was meant for another poster. Blame it on user error. Once again, I'm sorry about that!

Thank you! I thought it was just an error...

Again hope something positive comes from this, sadly time does not bode well.

Why don't all ships have this system? Seems like it would have been very beneficial here and in many other cases. Is it purely cost related?

And hopefully there will be a time when all ships are required to have it, regardless of age of the ship.

There are reliability issues, and questions about how accurate the systems are at actually determining whether an object is a human or not. On a previous thread about this technology on the Disney forum (the only line to have automated systems), we had a manufacturer's representative claiming that the system used radar to determine "mass" as a criteria for determining whether a target was human or not. When I questioned him how radar could determine "mass" rather than "volume" (which a radar could do), they stopped posting.

Ok. So according to those on board the ship didn't stop or turn around. They kept going. Could they have been released without turning around or even stopping?

Yes, most likely the case. They wouldn't turn around until there was video evidence of a person going overboard, or the head count showed one person missing, but they most likely notified the USCG immediately upon the report of the person potentially being missing. So the USCG could have scrambled assets hours before it was actually determined the person was missing, I don't know where the ship is or where the incident happened so I don't know the response time, and air assets move a lot faster than sea assets and cover a greater area. And you don't know whether the USCG had assets in place for other reasons (drug interdiction, etc.).

Edited by chengkp75

When I questioned him how radar could determine "mass" rather than "volume" (which a radar could do), they stopped posting.

Amazing the buzz words some "experts" can use but have no actual knowledge as to what they mean....

Our CD on the Triumph explained the whole process in great detail. If someone had see her go over...the ship would have stopped there.

That goes without saying. But in this case no one saw her jump, and no one knew when she went missing. It wouldn't surprise me that at the moment she was reported missing, security began going through the video.

It's not the coast guards job beyond 1-2 miles from the coast. There have been people recovered from the ocean that have been out for many hours beyond 12 before. It's kinda silly to not make an attempt.

Carnival must not want to pay out everyone's FCCs of 20-30% from people whining about missing a port.

Just heard on the news that the Coast Guard is searching for her. I think they are more equipped with searching.

Carnival is stuck really. Over 12+ hours since last seen. She could be anywhere in the water. No one knows what time it happened. It could have been 1:30 or 5:30. Carnival could stop the ship and search and spend a whole day doing it. Then they would have all the other passengers ticked off because they missed port. If Carnival has video showing the exact location that the person went overboard then they may try to attempt to go back.

I hate to hear when people go overboard. Seems to be more and more common everyday/every week these days. Praying for the family and friends and everyone on the ship!

Edited by ShannonSC2

Yes.

It's dependent on when she was reported missing.

If it was not reported as it happened and the ship was "too far away" from the determined location there would be little point in sending the ship back to that point when other agencies could conduct an effective search sooner.

It was reported 10 to 12 hours later and the ship has covered many sea miles. Should a ship turn around, travel another 10 hours back and start a search? They really wouldn't even know where to begin as the ocean is in constant motion. This would be a case for small boat and air searches.

hi everyone my mom is on the liberty by herself.... I just heard about it and just need someone to tell me they are not paging my mother's name

first name is Kimberly. last name begins with an H

hopefully you can email me at taralynmartinez@yahoo.com

and let me know!!

I tried calling and they couldn't give me a name

NO that is not the name per this report: http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2016/05/articles/disappearances-1/passenger-goes-overboard-from-carnival-liberty-into-gulf/

Sending prayers for the family, crew, and other passengers.

I would like to add that on the last two cruises I have been on, the most recent Dream in Feb '16 and then Triumph '15 there have been overboard scares.

Dream turned out to be a jacket that blew off deck. But we stopped, and looked.

Triumph, we came to a complete stop. Standing on our nose. Wheeled around like something from a movie, and made circles in the area until we found all were accounted for on the ship.

This was our exact experience on the Magic in 2011 too!

I am reading that she is 33 years old and cameras showing her going overboard around 2am. I hate hearing about these things! Could alcohol have been a factor? Is it that stinking easy to fall off the ship? We are going on the Liberty in June for our very first cruise and this is not something that brings me comfort.

I am reading that she is 33 years old and cameras showing her going overboard around 2am. I hate hearing about these things! Could alcohol have been a factor? Is it that stinking easy to fall off the ship? We are going on the Liberty in June for our very first cruise and this is not something that brings me comfort.

I'm not going to speculate as to what happened but one does not simply "fall" over the side of a cruise ship. It usually involves activities that shouldn't be engaged in such as climbing on top of things or intentionally going over. It's not possible to just accidentally slip and end up in the drink.

Edited by firemanbobswife

Must be a surreal and deflated feeling for the remainder of the cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Must be a very somber mood on the ship. My heart breaks for the passenger's family and friends. :(:( One thing: if they have video cameras why don't they have someone monitoring them? Maybe if the "overboard" was picked up right away she could have been saved????

Must be a very somber mood on the ship. My heart breaks for the passenger's family and friends. :(:( One thing: if they have video cameras why don't they have someone monitoring them? Maybe if the "overboard" was picked up right away she could have been saved????

The cameras would need motion sensors AND heat detection to avoid false alarms like a life jacket being thrown over or a towel blowing over. They are not required by law and so most cruise lines don't spend the $$$ for them.

Maybe in the future everyone will get bracelets with RFID chips in them; like what you wear to go into a day resort, etc. The RFID chip would know if someone went "out of bounds" while at sea and trigger an immediate alarm. Just a though.