Formal question

Hi there, experienced cruiser but new to Royal. Cruise coming up on Liberty on 11/13.

We're trying to keep packing to a minimum as almost all airfare to Houston is north of $400. We don't really want to pack our jackets if we can help it (plus there's been some considerable weight loss and they don't fit all that great.) Altering them would be another cost we'd prefer to not have to deal with right now.

We were curious if, given the warm climate destination, etc a long sleeve shirt with tie would be "enough" for formal night. Will we be allowed in the main dining room or turned around at the door?

If we would be turned around, how does the dress code in specialty venues work on formal nights? Is it like Celebrity where the dress code is smart casual always in specialty venues or is it more like HAL where the dress code is consistent regardless of the location?

Appreciate the help (and really not trying to start a fairly "typical" dress code flame war. It's a genuine question). Thanks all!

The dress suggestions are not enforced in the Main Dining Room, with the possible exception of wearing shorts in the evening.

Specialty restaurants are casual every night.

The dress suggestions are not enforced in the Main Dining Room, with the possible exception of wearing shorts in the evening.

2 minutes? What took you so long :D Quite possibly the fastest answer I've ever gotten on any board here on CC, thanks! :)

So Royal treats it as a dress code "suggestion" or "recommendation" as opposed to a mandatory dress "requirement"?

2 minutes? What took you so long :D Quite possibly the fastest answer I've ever gotten on any board here on CC, thanks! :)

So Royal treats it as a dress code "suggestion" or "recommendation" as opposed to a mandatory dress "requirement"?

Correct, here is what the web site says, but it's not enforced:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=255&faqSubjectId=334&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqType=faq

Correct. And sorry about the troubles you are experiencing due to wait loss. It's quite a burden. Perhaps we can switch jackets, and the ones that don't fit me any more, because of my weight gain, will work for you, and vice versa.

My guys (DH and DS's) have gone tux's on Alaskan but did dress shirts, ties, and new blue jeans and boots on our others. Our teens even forwent the ties and no one even batted an eye the second formal night.

Correct. And sorry about the troubles you are experiencing due to wait loss. It's quite a burden. Perhaps we can switch jackets, and the ones that don't fit me any more, because of my weight gain, will work for you, and vice versa.

Yeah it's a double edged sword... new clothes! :D But lots of money going toward new clothes :eek:

My guys (DH and DS's) have gone tux's on Alaskan but did dress shirts, ties, and new blue jeans and boots on our others. Our teens even forwent the ties and no one even batted an eye the second formal night.

Thanks for sharing your firsthand experience. I know a lot of ships let kids (anyone under 18, not just the little ones) kind of do whatever as opposed to asking where the 5 year old's suit jacket is. But knowing that it was fine for your DH as well is definitely good to know

Thanks. That was what I found as well and it made me nervous since there was no language that could be a little vague or "loosey goosey". Some use the various key words like I asked about and then we can know "okay, be presentable for a nice restaurant but I don't need to go nuts". With this one I wasn't so sure.

Really do appreciate it!

Per above, you'll have absolutely no problem with what you're planning to wear. :)

I was in the same boat as you with losing weight, and getting the clothes altered. I had one suit taken in recently, which was almost $50.00. I decided I was going to take that one on the cruise, and then changed my mind. I had another suit taken in not to long ago, but the jacket is still a little big. I'm going to take it, and wear it open, or I may leave it off entirely. Dinner is only 2 hours, and I have pictures in the suit from Royal and Carnival already, so no formal night photos in that suit.