Binoculars! So many choices!

4olivers

I know optics are a matter of personal choice. I went out on a cool, rainy day, to purchase binoculars before our Alaskan cruise. I purchased a pair of Leupold Yosimite 8x30. They are water proof and not too heavy. For me they were bright and I could see things that I couldn't see with other brands.

I have tried a pair of 7 x 50 marine glasses and they were not what I want after trying a 12 x 40 (or it could have been a 10 x 50).

While they may not be what you want, do know that 7x50 is what most sailors and fishermen have onboard. We use them.

There is a big difference between looking at something on land and at sea. Firstly, water is generally one color with a lot of haze and this makes locating and focusing extremely difficult. And being on a moving vessel makes it easy to lose track of your subject.

Every time we've been I have gone back to my old Bushnells 5X25. I took my expensive duo Celestron for really close up viewing, but ever time, I would lose the subject in the water before I could zoom in. Same with our DSLR camera. I always lost them. Very hard to get far away subjects like the whales.

So back to the lower power retro bi's. Just don't buy too much magification, you'll regret it.

Total novice here and first trip to Alaska so I ordered a pair of Humvee 10 x 42 compact from Amazon for under $25.00. I was shocked that I could see individual rain drops hitting a barbeque pit at the end of the street WITHOUT my glasses on and I am blind as bat. For a one or two time use, works for me.

We went with the Zen Ray Vistas (8x42) - can't wait to try them out in Alaska!! We also have a pair of Bushnell 8x42 so we can compare. I'll report back after our trip, 39 more days!

Thanks everyone for input!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I own a pair of Canon 10x30 IS (Image Stabilization) II. I just love them, the IS makes a world of difference. I use them outside of cruising (nature walks, football, etc.) If I were to buy binoculars just for one cruise, probably would not have spent that much ($450 or so), but I use mine a lot.

I also own the Canon 10x30 IS binoculars ... and I also love them! You focus on the subject, push the button on the top of the binocs and instantly the IS feature "locks in" the image. No bouncing or shaking!! Fabulous. But, they are costly. If you can rationalize the expense over many years of use, I wouldn't hesitate purchasing them. I don't take them on every cruise. But, whenever I think there will be lots to see from the ship, I have them with me.

While they may not be what you want, do know that 7x50 is what most sailors and fishermen have onboard. We use them.

I do know. They belong to my brother-in-law who is a boater and was a Navy man. I wish you could rent them on the ship.

I just purchased these after a lot of research. they are highly rated for the pricepoint and seem to perform like some of the more expensive pairs. They are both waterproof and fogproof and can be attached to a tripod with an adapter (bought one for 9.99). We are cruising with a balcony and I plan to attach these to the tripod and set them up on the deck for viewing while I sip my coffee in the morning.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004KM82IQ/ref=twister_B00E35XLVS?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I hope this info helps.