Fjord cruise

holidayhelen

We have been on the Kjenndalen Glacier and Lovatnet lake excursion from Olden as an earlier poster mentioned and enjoyed it very much. You do not visit the Glacier though just view it from a distance. The scenery in the Lake was excellent including views of the glacier and after the lake part you visit a bit nearer to the glacier.

The tongue of the glacier has retreated dramatically in a few years. Our second cruise in 2010 was to the Fjords and we did the lake trip.

Walking onto the glacier was no problem, it was about 10 minutes from the cafe. I remember seeing a photo a year after and the glacier was half way up the mountain.

Does anybody know when cabins will be allocated for 24th June

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The saver cruises we have done have been anywhere between 5 and 15 days before.

Does anybody know when cabins will be allocated for 24th June

Still waiting for our too for this cruise - quite exciting really. Just hoping there are only balconys left!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ha ha ha - (if only) never ever had a visit from the upgrade fairy on any cruise.

Our friends have decided to join us now too and they have taken the same deal - so hoping we can get dining together. We have already booked for the Sindhu as we enjoyed it on the Ventura last year.

Still waiting for our too for this cruise - quite exciting really. Just hoping there are only balconys left!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ha ha ha - (if only) never ever had a visit from the upgrade fairy on any cruise.

Our friends have decided to join us now too and they have taken the same deal - so hoping we can get dining together. We have already booked for the Sindhu as we enjoyed it on the Ventura last year.

I would make sure that your bookings are linked - Maitre'd on Britannia told me that linked bookings are sat together, that is the reason for linking.

Thanks - my other half does not even know she's going yet lol

How fantastic. I love surprises - Mr doesn't tho!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would love a surprise like this.

Hope she enjoys it

• 1 month later...

Hello - just back from our 8 day Fjord cruise - it was outstanding. Aurora is so beautiful and looks so much better now with the revamp. Got assigned cabin A258 - and it was fine - maybe a little smaller than our last cabin on Auroura - which I think was about 10 further back on the same isle. Love the fact you can get out on the back terrace from your room. Such a lovely way to view whats going on and check out the weather.

The food was good - unfortunately we could not get first or freedom dining and had to put up with 2nd sitting - our waiter was not spectacular and never even introduced himself or any of the other waiters. The food was ok but a little rushed. We did treat ourselves a couple of times to Sindhu - and that was totally amazing. Service and food. The entertainment was ok - we watched a couple of shows - the Queen music one was the worst - really really rubbish - just screaching really. The 'My generation' was good. We had a comedian from the Houghton Weavers - who was quite funny. Unfortunately a couple of times they put all the 'daily' quizzes on at the same time. We were in the progressive quiz, battle of the sexes and I was doing dancing lessons and one day all three of these were the same 1pm start!!!!!! One evening there seemed to be loads we wanted to do but again you can't do them all.

The ports were fantastic - it rained in Stavanger - but it was still a lovely port - a quick walk round for us. Flam - I got up early to watch it sail up the fjord - 6am - but wish I had got up at 5! - STUNNING stunning - I even rang my friend and got them out of bed. We did the train trip independantly and was fantastic. We also helped boost the economy by spending the afternooon in the pub/brewery. A lovely place. We sailed out late at night but it was still light. Again the sail into Olden was as spectacular - I spent the afternoon sailing in in the hot tub!!! Olden was also Stunning - we took the shuttle up to the Briskal glacier and then grabbed a troll car up to the top - a fantastic tour and well worth going - even the scenery in the shuttle on the way up was worth it. We arrived in Bergen in the rain so decided to give the funicular a miss - so we just found a bar - and we dashed back to the ship between the showers - but unfortunately the wind had got up and had lifted the gang planks and pushed the ship off its moorings so we had to wait out on the dockside in the rain for it to be resolved. All in all a wonderful cruise - and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Helen, did the port of Olden serenade you and wave as you sailed away with 'Sailing' and another song?

If so, do you recall the name of the second song? I am trying to track it down.

So pleased you had a fantastic time. The scenery is truly awesome.

Edited by Scriv

Yes, Galaxy, that's it!! Thanks so much. I loved it. I must get it!

A belated Thank You to the Port of Olden for a great welcome and a fantastic send off when we visited you on Azura at the end of May. It was so lovely seeing you all out there as you waved us off along with the songs - very emotional too and actually brought a tear to many an eye.

We had a great day in Olden. We took the Glacier Express Shuttle up to Briksdal car park and walked up the rest of the way to the glacier. We were blessed with wonderful weather too to enjoy the amazing scenery.

It was the second visit to Olden for me and I hope not the last. See you again someday. :) :)

Edited by Scriv

Helen, did the port of Olden serenade you and wave as you sailed away with 'Sailing' and another song?

If so, do you recall the name of the second song? I am trying to track it down.

So pleased you had a fantastic time. The scenery is truly awesome.

We arrived at Olden about 6pm day 1 and left about 6 on day 2. There was music playing from the 'tent' outside the pub when we arrived and it went on most of the night. Then they did 'send us off' - and one of the houses near the port was flying a 'st Georges' flag. It was an amazing port and we defo intend to return. We loved the whole cruise and could happily do it all again.

Yes, there is always a house near the port who flies the flag. They really make us welcome. I have done the cruise twice now and would happily do it again too. :)

Edited by Scriv