Mixology class

Dclnut

I have taken 2 mixology classes in the past, both very different. The 1st one, they let volunteers come up and take turns mixing about 6 drinks and everyone got to try them in shot glasses. The 2nd one, they had 1 volunteer come up and mix a drink that was enough for 2 people (a full glass) and they got to pick the person they gave the other drink to. I think it's obvious that i enjoyed the 1st one better because everyone got to try the drinks and since theres an extra cost, it was worth it.

My question is, if you have done the class, what was your experience? I am wondering if they changed the way they do the classes or if it was just a weird, under trained class. Also, it has been a while so i was wondering the price. Thank you!

I have taken 2 mixology classes in the past, both very different. The 1st one, they let volunteers come up and take turns mixing about 6 drinks and everyone got to try them in shot glasses. The 2nd one, they had 1 volunteer come up and mix a drink that was enough for 2 people (a full glass) and they got to pick the person they gave the other drink to. I think it's obvious that i enjoyed the 1st one better because everyone got to try the drinks and since theres an extra cost, it was worth it.

My question is, if you have done the class, what was your experience? I am wondering if they changed the way they do the classes or if it was just a weird, under trained class. Also, it has been a while so i was wondering the price. Thank you!

When we did it in 2013, we all got to mix our drinks and sample them. it was an arranged session, since we were a group and one of the members coordinated setting it up. I can tell you, not be a bug drinker, when I joined up with my wife back at the pool, she said I didn't stop talking for two hours. SO I must have enjoyed myself :rolleyes:

We've done it three times now on two different ships and had very different experiences all three times. All of these were the general sessions that anyone can sign up for and not prearranged group sessions.

The first was the least enjoyable--although still a lot of fun--and was in Keys (or maybe what Keys was before the dry dock) on the Magic. The had smaller-sized pre-made drinks of different types set out and they explained them as you sampled them. There also were a few drinking games played by small groups of volunteers.

Second was in Meridian on the Fantasy and that was the booziest. About four guests at a time got to go behind the bar and each mixed a batch of of the same drink for themselves and for the guests not behind the bar, then you rotated to the next group. These were pretty much full sized drinks and there were a couple of extras each round, so you could drink a LOT if you were so inclined. We were and we did.

The last was in Ooh La La on the Fantasy over this past Spring break and it was kind of in the middle. Same schtick with small groups of guests getting to mix the drinks for the entire group, but fewer extras. Made getting to dinner a little easier.

Edited by Jestocost

My last cruise on the Fantasy was much like the previous poster's.

In Meridian on the Fantasy. Some guests got to mix up drinks, and each guest got a full size drink for each of the 5 drinks sampled. Our group were heavy pourers. I got back to the room and the wife looked at me and said "Great......get ready for dinner". I was a mess. Excellent time.

I have taken it twice with two different bartenders, Damien and Lindsay (both on the Fantasy). Very different experiences. One allowed the guest to pour at their "stations" around Skyline, the other the glasses were on bar and volunteers made drinks for the group. I preferred being around the bar. I also will always prefer Damien as the facilitator of the class, he created most of the drinks on the Skyline menu.

DCL Platinum Castaway Club ~ Ready for Norwegian Escape September 17-24 2016!

You can sign up on the ship if there is space for a public one or there are private groups that arrange to hold them. Many cruise meetup spaces I have seen arrange them privately. I wonder if that changes the experience?

Both the ones i have signed up for were through the ship and both were very different. Weird.

So in the Navigator on the first day they will post all the mixology classes for the whole cruise?

Navigator on the first day will show the type of classes being offered on your voyage and then where to go to book. There they will have the date and times for all the classes. They don't appear in the navigator until the day of the class itself so if you fancy doing one its a good idea to go and book on the first day.

With regards to the format of mixology, I've had different ones while on the same ship and cruise! I think it depends who's running them and possibly how many people are booked. I've had one where we poured our own, loads where you had part mixed cocktails and then added ingredients, one where they just handed them out and didn't demo anything and one where volunteers made cocktails. I've actually enjoyed all of them though but prefer the part made ones you do yourself. They are so much more fun and you get to actually learn something.

Edited by gismo1554

I agree with the above--it has more to do with the CM running the event than with the ship or whether it is a session for a private group vs. the open sign up system. The only differences between private and open is that a private group must be booked full or it won't be scheduled and it must be paid in advance. Open groups normally fill up, but will be held even if there are a few unfilled slots.

Get to the signup location early as some classes can fill up. Plan accordingly...like, if you have trouble normally getting ready for dinner on a wobbly boat you may want a mid morning or early afternoon class. We had a blast. Make sure you bring something to write the recipes down on for the drinks you like.

My only complaint or suggestion was just that...I think it would be neat if they gave recipe cards for the drinks they made.

I like the idea of a handout with names of our drinks and recipe ideas. On the Wonder in May, Wo Wan in the Cadillac Lounge did a great class and explained about choosing ingredients to make a balanced drink. We had five small drinks and then three people were chosen to make a full size drink for several of the drinks. It was a blast and I found I really liked a lavender martini! I had to order it several nights as we listened to the fabulous Tim play piano.

I like the idea of a handout with names of our drinks and recipe ideas. On the Wonder in May, Wo Wan in the Cadillac Lounge did a great class and explained about choosing ingredients to make a balanced drink. We had five small drinks and then three people were chosen to make a full size drink for several of the drinks. It was a blast and I found I really liked a lavender martini! I had to order it several nights as we listened to the fabulous Tim play piano.

On my last cruise the bar tender made up the cocktail recipes in the afternoon and then you could pop in after the show to pick them up which worked well.

Lavender martini sounds wonderful!

With the change today so you can book character meet & greets in advance online I wonder whether the drink sessions will also be added.

Edited by gismo1554

With the change today so you can book character meet & greets in advance online I wonder whether the drink sessions will also be added.

I really hope not. While I respect giving preference for certain things to those that have cruised before I think the line has to be drawn somewhere otherwise people that are first timers have little to not opportunity to book things to enhance their vacation. And it appears so many things on Disney are able to be booked in advance.

If you want something book it when you get onboard. I understand that Disney does boardings based on status as well (when your booking window opens you can set your port arrival time) and I disagree with that practice. If you want something get to the port, stand in line, first come first severed. If you want to reserve a few spots for frequent passengers great but when there are limited options available make it available based on who is willing to work for it. Or open up the booking window at a time where anyone sailing can book. IMHO.

Disclaimer, I'm a first timer [emoji6]

I agree with some of that. While I absolutely hate the new system at the parks (enough where I refuse to go to the parks anymore) because you have to reserve your fastpasses months in advance or wait in line for a long time. What if i just wake up today and want to do a day at disney? Long lines for me. The only thing I don't agree with is the getting to the port. When the old smaller ships were the only ships, it wasn't a problem, but now there are too many people with the larger ships and the first time i was on the dream before the pick your time, i guess every single person on the ship came early and the building became very claustrophobic. They made people sign up for times because of crowd control. It helps now.

If you want something book it when you get onboard.

Disclaimer, I'm a first timer [emoji6]

I should point out the current system does keep some things back for onboard bookings anyway with regard to Palo etc so I would assume it would be similar for these. Though I understand your frustration as a returning guest it is about the only perk we get! I was actually thinking more of just opening it up on a certain date before the cruise rather than at the times for Gold, Silver etc.

Personally I would rather invest the time before I go then queue when I sail and for me travelling solo having to queue in effect in 3/4 different places to book things is frustrating and time consuming. I don't have the option of one person goes to one queue and the other goes to the other I have to do them all myself. Even if they had just one queue for everything that would make it easier but they don't. I don't mind having to queue I just think it would be easier being able to prebook and also would allow me to know the best time to book other things such as character meet and greets or palo. As it is until onboard I have no idea if my palo is going to clash with something else I want to do which means having to change things once onboard.

I do agree that I don't overly like having to book things for the parks in advance but on a cruise when they limit when things are offered I just would find it easier. I understand completely where you are coming from though as even as a Gold CC member I've never managed to get a Cabana on Castaway (although to be fair I think these are always taken by Conceirge members rather than Castaway ones) but I just personally would find it less stressful having to wander around the ship so much that first day! Last time I cruises I had to do an "onboard only" booked tour at the shore excursion desk, Character meeting tickets at the same desk but a different queue, mixology in Lumiere's and Palo up at Palo so spent around an hour in and out of queues and still didn't get all of what I wanted.

The only thing I don't agree with is the getting to the port. When the old smaller ships were the only ships, it wasn't a problem, but now there are too many people with the larger ships and the first time i was on the dream before the pick your time, i guess every single person on the ship came early and the building became very claustrophobic. They made people sign up for times because of crowd control. It helps now.

Princess, for example, does not assign port arrival times and while they have boarding times they are suggestions and not enforced. Princess has ships that are significantly larger than the Magic or Fantasy and I have never had an issue with boarding. Just my observations. Maybe have staggered boardings but not necessarily enforce them to help with crowd control.