Marina Laundry questions.

lianaks

Has anyone on Marina recently, here my questions:

1. Does laundry is coin operate or cruise card?

2. Do they have detergent machine to purchase or I have to bring my own?

Does anyone know the Vista Suite has the perk of free laundry?

LS.

Marina's laundry machines are token-based -- no quarters, no card. You buy the tokens at Reception. If you have any left over, they will buy them back. (I think it's $2/machine, I always forget the real details.)

Detergent is provided.

The last time we were in a Vista there were (maybe) a few pieces of "free" laundry but not in general. Sometimes they offer a package of 20 pieces for $24.95 (I think that is the latest price, someone will correct me if I'm wrong).

Mura

You dont use coins.... tokens only as for detergent it is supplied free as I recall. By the way it is a special biodegradable that the ship is required to use to prevent pollution... It works pretty darn well...

Please dont bring the Tide, and save the tides...it really messes with the ships waste water system and the .ocean !!! Use the supplied detergent be a good steward of the sea

Edited by Hawaiidan

I have to say that when Marina was brand new the machines took quarters... which for ME was fabulous because I was the person who collected quarters from our apartment building machines and so it was easy to bring along a roll of quarters.

But of course I was very rare among passengers to prefer quarters... especially passengers who were not from the U.S.

So I wasn't surprised when they fairly quickly converted over to the tokens.

Mura

We used the laundry on Marina today. You now buy your tokens in the laundry room, a machine takes 1,5 or 10 dollar bills and dispenses 1 token for every $2 inserted. The washer and dryer take 1token each per load, sometimes may have to use the dry cycle twice. The soap is dispensed from another machine in a liquid form, one push of a button dispenses the amount for 1 load of wash....and there is no charge for the soap.

There are 3 stacked washers and dryers, folding table, laundry baskets and 2 ironing boards/irons in each laundry room. Plus a love seat,tv and refrigerator with water if you really want to hang out and wait on the machines.

Just a couple of comments.

(1) I would assume that people who don't carry U.S. currency and change can still buy tokens at Reception. I don't doubt that non-US citizens would bring U.S. currency with them ... I always get pounds and euros, etc., when we are traveling outside of the U.S. But you may not always have that currency.

As to having to use two dry cycles -- I never have had to do that. Granted, our clothing is not heavy-duty for the most part. And I only put in one wash load into a dryer. If you overload a washer or dryer, you will have negative results.

(I'm not saying YOU did so! But I have spoken to people in our apartment people who did so, all the while complaining that wash didn't get clean ... and ignoring my comments that they had overloaded the machine. I was speaking as a Board member, not a nosy neighbor.)

Mura

Depends on what heat setting is used for the specific items. Ladies were using the lower heat setting for their under garments, small load and had to use 2 cycles.

Men's underwear no problem on medium heat, medium load, one cycle.

We had quite a laundry party...5 ladies and 2 men in the room at the same time..my above comments were from the party goers statements

That's valid, of course. What I do in that case is set the temperature to medium (I almost NEVER use high heat) but come back and remove the delicate unmentionables earlier in the cycle. However, I don't see any need to continue this discussion!

Having said that! On another note -- this may no longer be valid, of course -- When I visited my next-door neighbor in the early '80s who was living in London, the temperatures on the machines which were much higher than we were used to in the U.S.

So much of our apparel in the U.S. is now permanent press which does not require high heat ... and should not have it. In those days we were always warned to be careful about heating temps if we went to a public laundromat in Europe. I have not used a laundromat in Europe in at least 10 years so I don't know if that is still the case.

I guess also -- now that I think of it -- that when I'm on a cruise I do my unmentionables in the room and air dry them ... so whatever laundry we put into the machines is "heavier duty".

Mura

How much laundry do you do, Lyn? It wouldn't seem like a few loads would do much damage to your OBC!

Then again, U.S. quarters may not be that common for you ...

:D

Mura

How much laundry do you do, Lyn? It wouldn't seem like a few loads would do much damage to your OBC!

Then again, U.S. quarters may not be that common for you ...

:D

Mura

yeah hardly a dent in the OBC but finding enough quarters for 6 loads (last trip) would have been a hassle unless reception had some

Gotcha ...

Of course if you were the situation I was in when we did our first Marina cruise, it was no problem because I had $20 worth of quarters on hand ...

In fact ,I still would ... except I can no longer use them ... Well, not on board anyway!

Mura

Thought this was close to a 6 star line. Guess not. Who still pays for laundry when a ship this size could have complimentary washers/dryers? As a Seabourn and Silversea cruiser, I thought I'd try Oceania this once because I've heard good things. Not starting off well - Why nickel and dime (or pay tokens) for this???:(:(

Thought this was close to a 6 star line. Guess not. Who still pays for laundry when a ship this size could have complimentary washers/dryers? As a Seabourn and Silversea cruiser, I thought I'd try Oceania this once because I've heard good things. Not starting off well - Why nickel and dime (or pay tokens) for this???:(:(

6* line not sure where you get that from :confused:

Oceania is not for everyone :rolleyes:

Gotcha ...

Of course if you were the situation I was in when we did our first Marina cruise, it was no problem because I had $20 worth of quarters on hand ...

Mura

Mure

we were on the 3rd sailing of Marina I had to get quarters from reception at that time ...what a pain

I prefer the tokens they do not weigh down my pockets LOL

it is no big deal either way & yes I could send my clothes out to be done but I prefer to do it my way ;)

Lyn

I guess it is your perception that paying for the self-service laundry is nickel&diming. I don't ... but if you are used to this being included then I can see where you are coming from.

When we traveled on the QE2 (2003 and 2004) we were delighted to have free laundry. That was the first time we had encountered such a benefit.

Then we had a cruise on NCL that didn't have any self-serve laundry at all ... in fact the ship had REMOVED the laundry rooms. That irritated us much more, I think, that it would irritate you to have to pay for a DIY laundry.

But I am guessing!

For me, it isn't a problem. And when I consider all the things that Oceania used to charge for but no longer does ... I really don't mind paying $2 to do my own wash.

You will have to make up your own mind about how important this is to YOU.

Mura

P.S. If you are thinking of Marina or Riviera, being larger (although not large) ships, I can see where you would assume laundry is included. But that would be difficult on the older ships which only (so far) have one laundry room per ship.

Note: Marina/Riviera carry 1250 passengers and have laundry rooms on each passenger deck. Riviera/Insignia/Nautica and I think Sirena carry 684 passengers and only have one much smaller laundry room. (I say "I think Sirena" because I thought I had read somewhere that in Sirena's reno that a second laundry room was added .. I'm not sure if that is true.)

Mura

• 3 weeks later...

Is that means Concierge room get free token from the attendant in concierge lounge? Concierge lounge has attendant in there 24 hours or limit time?

On Vista Suite, doe they get benefit of free laundry service?

Is that means Concierge room get free token from the attendant in concierge lounge? Concierge lounge has attendant in there 24 hours or limit time?

The Concierge is in the Lounge during somewhat abbreviated "normal business hours".

Nobody gets free tokens, not even in a Vista Suite.

Those with 60+ cruise get free laundry on Oceania all others pay

I think what people are saying is you can BUY tokens from the Concierge when they are in attendance

they have office hours ;)

Edited by LHT28