Lobster??????

Maraprince

Maybe they charge for lobster in the INCLUDED dining rooms. Other cruise lines DO NOT?

They do charge for it in the included dining rooms, but the OP acknowledges that, and says they understand that.

They specifically ask why there is an additional fee in the speciality restaurants, which there isn't.

Edited by KeithJenner

They do charge for it in the included dining rooms, but the OP acknowledges that, and says they understand that.

They specifically ask why there is an additional fee in the speciality restaurants, which there isn't.

On my recent cruises on Carnival and Princess, lobster was available in the MDR and the buffet with no charge. They also had escargot with no charge.

I don't understand why NCL feels they need to have guests pay extra for it when the other lines don't do that. NCL restricted the items I could order in the specialty restaurant when I used my Platinum benefit certificate.

Are you Platinum? If so, there are certain mains that are excluded from the free meals you get. I am sure that lobster is one of those as is the "Beef for Two".

Mike

That is correct ...additional charge for lobster in Le Bistro. That waitress even pointed that out.

MARAPRINCE

I noticed on the Pearl back in April, the right hand side of the menus for the MDR had additional entrees with a surcharge (more prime cut steaks, maybe even a lobster/surf and turf option?) I never looked at those options since: 1) the regular entree selections were usually great; 2) the "specialty" entrees never changed.

If you do not have a Specialty Dining Plan then the a la carte price for lobster in Cagneys and Le Bistro is $24.99

Also true if you are using the free Platinum dinner for 2 certificate at Le Bistro or Cucina. As I stated, the waitress made sure to point that out to us before we gave her our selections. My cousin just thought it was a little "tacky" considering that lobster is served free of charge on one of the formal night on other cruise lines. With the number of menu choices at Le Bistro, lobster would not be our first dinner of choice. We were more than satisfied with the included restaurants, the level of service, the quality of the food and the choices they offered. Friends of ours who sailed NCL recently also said they did not see the necessity of adding specialty dining packages.

MARAPRINCE

You are making decisions on cruises based on lobster? Seriously?

Shewt. We've seen brands of pop, bottled water and ketchup show up as deal-breakers around here. Lobster might as well be on the list.

Nope and Nope. As someone who cruised RCCL 3 times last year, RCCL definitely serves lobster for FREE in the MDR one night during the cruise. You have the OPTION to order the surf and turf or filet every night for an additional charge. But it is most definitely free one night on a 7 night cruise.

On my recent cruises on Carnival and Princess, lobster was available in the MDR and the buffet with no charge. They also had escargot with no charge. I don't understand why NCL feels they need to have guests pay extra for it when the other lines don't do that. NCL restricted the items I could order in the specialty restaurant when I used my Platinum benefit certificate.

It's called smart business. We appreciate a cruise line that makes smart business decisions the has a positive, overall impact to all of their customers. You make those decisions in any company. "Rank order the changes that I can make the would allow me to remain cost competitive with my competitor cruise lines, what would those be",,,, and start implementing those changes.

Consider, one airline stops serving free peanuts, they all do. One airlines stops serving hot food in coach and they all do (removing ovens from the coach galleys saves hundreds of pounds of weight and thousands of gallons of fuel - along with the cost of the food).

Smart business.

Consider all of the great improvements NCL has made on the MDR menus. While some people still constantly complain about the loss of chicken fingers, I really like things like poached salmon, bay scallops, and pho on the MDR lunch menus.

It's called smart business. We appreciate a cruise line that makes smart business decisions the has a positive, overall impact to all of their customers. You make those decisions in any company. "Rank order the changes that I can make the would allow me to remain cost competitive with my competitor cruise lines, what would those be",,,, and start implementing those changes.

Consider, one airline stops serving free peanuts, they all do. One airlines stops serving hot food in coach and they all do (removing ovens from the coach galleys saves hundreds of pounds of weight and thousands of gallons of fuel - along with the cost of the food).

Smart business.

Consider all of the great improvements NCL has made on the MDR menus. While some people still constantly complain about the loss of chicken fingers, I really like things like poached salmon, bay scallops, and pho on the MDR lunch menus.

Actually no, NCL's business model is to nickel and dime more so then any other cruise line. They all have fees on board they all have specialty restaurants . No need to get defensive I'm cruising on NCL in a few weeks, its just a fact. Not serving lobster is not the same thing as not serving chicken fingers. And no one is following NCL down the no lobster route so bad example with the airlines.

I find the whole lobster mania amusing. For a couple of reasons. First that NCL would eliminate it from the MDR for cost cutting reasons. Lobster is cheaper today than it has been in many, many years. I have a number of frozen, Maine or Atlantic Canada, tails in my freezer right now. They ranged in price from $3.99 to 5.99 each, and we are a long way from the nearest lobster trap.

Secondly, that it such a big discussion on these boards. It is not now and hasn't been a "luxury dish" for years. That paragon of fine dining, Red Lobster, serves millions of pounds of it a year. It is often tough unless cooked to perfection. And often on cruise ships, it is incredibly small.

But yes, virtually every other mainstream line, RCCL, Princess, Carnival, Celebrity offer it at no-charge in the MDR.

I find the whole lobster mania amusing. For a couple of reasons. First that NCL would eliminate it from the MDR for cost cutting reasons. Lobster is cheaper today than it has been in many, many years. I have a number of frozen, Maine or Atlantic Canada, tails in my freezer right now. They ranged in price from $3.99 to 5.99 each, and we are a long way from the nearest lobster trap.

Secondly, that it such a big discussion on these boards. It is not now and hasn't been a "luxury dish" for years. That paragon of fine dining, Red Lobster, serves millions of pounds of it a year. It is often tough unless cooked to perfection. And often on cruise ships, it is incredibly small.

But yes, virtually every other mainstream line, RCCL, Princess, Carnival, Celebrity offer it at no-charge in the MDR.

Thank you ! Absolutely what I was thinking. But OMG :rolleyes: please leave if you dont like that NCL isnt serving "FREE " Lobster in the MDR!! Nobody is telling you to pay your money and sail on NCL !

Could this have a bearing on the extra charges NCL is tacking onto many items on the ships. After all, if you pay the CEO triple what the other lines are paying theirs, the money has to come from our pockets, doesn't it ?????

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/14995-cruise-executive-compensation-del-rio-takes-home-31-9-million.html

It is true that there is no free lobster in the main dining room on NCL ships. If you have the dining plan, you can order lobster at Le Bistro, Cagney, Teppanyaki, or Bayamo without surcharge. If you got a free dinner from Platinum status, then the lobster carries a surcharge.

I used to pay a cover charge for Le Bistro and then pay a surcharge ($10?) for the lobster. Now, I can just order what I want and pay for it if I don't have a dining plan.

Don't know if they serve it at no charge, but I thought I read somewhere that Royal Caribbean charges $29.95 in the MDR for lobster and almost $40 for surf and turf.

I sailed Oasis last month and there's a lobster night in the MDR at no additional charge. Our waiter actually brought out 2 on my plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Actually no, NCL's business model is to nickel and dime more so then any other cruise line. They all have fees on board they all have specialty restaurants . No need to get defensive I'm cruising on NCL in a few weeks, its just a fact. Not serving lobster is not the same thing as not serving chicken fingers. And no one is following NCL down the no lobster route so bad example with the airlines.

Clearly you have no concept on good business. NCL has has been spending their nickles and dimes on their customers and greatly improved their menus (i.e. trashed the chicken fingers and brought in salmon). They are refirbing all of their ships, bringing them out of the 80's and matching their food to the contemporary taste. I, for one, don't want to live in the good 'ole days of cruising and appreciate the menu changes. If I want a lobster, I can get a lobster.

Edited by BirdTravels

Clearly you have no concept on good business. NCL has has been spending their nickles and dimes on their customers and greatly improved their menus (i.e. trashed the chicken fingers and brought in salmon). They are refirbing all of their ships, bringing them out of the 80's and matching their food to the contemporary taste. I, for one, don't want to live in the good 'ole days of cruising and appreciate the menu changes. If I want a lobster, I can get a lobster.
I'm with you and am excited to cruise with the new menus. If I want lobster, I can always get it here at home, but if it is a deal breaker for some, I certainly understand and they can do research on the other lines that serve it for free.

If NCL is spending their (correction OUR) nickles and dimes on customers, where are they getting the MILLIONS they are paying Del Rio. After all, a pay raise of several million dollars doesn't just materialize out of the air. It has to come from the customers pockets.

If that is good business, You need to re-study the concept of business.

The fact that the other two major cruise lines pay their CEO's less and give the customers more seems more appropriate, doesn't it ???

If NCL is spending their (correction OUR) nickles and dimes on customers, where are they getting the MILLIONS they are paying Del Rio. After all, a pay raise of several million dollars doesn't just materialize out of the air. It has to come from the customers pockets.

If that is good business, You need to re-study the concept of business.

The fact that the other two major cruise lines pay their CEO's less and give the customers more seems more appropriate, doesn't it ???

FDR has actually done wonderful things for NCL. More than Sheehan could have ever imagined. Worth every penny.

Edited by BirdTravels

FDR has actually done wonderful things for NCL. More than Sheehan could have ever imagined. Worth every penny.

It is interesting that you believe that ?????

NCL is deeply in debt and that increased when they absorbed the two money losing lines that Del Rio established. As info -- He started Oceania with 18 million dollars and converted that into over two billion in debt that was transferred to NCL when the lines merged.

Tell us again what GOOD things he has done for NCLH ?????????????