WiFi Calling with VOOM

Hello Everyone

Did a search, found folks talking about WiFi calling, but didn't actually see anyone with experience using it onboard. Just curious, with VOOM internet (Allure) were you able to make and receive phone calls without issue with WiFi calling enabled?

I have used Skype on several trips to using the internet to call home I think it is called VOIP(voice over internet provider). However I have found several areas and places that it was blocked or seemed to be blocked. I'm almost willing to bet, that the ship will block Skype or even FaceTime or equivalent. But you will not know until you give it a try. Ah yes it might work on one ship and not another.

I have been FaceTiming with my boyfriend on the Oasis for the past few weeks. It's been working great.

Have you enabled WiFi Calling? (Settings -> Phone -> WiFi Calling) If not you should and give it a try. See how it works...

For those that don't know, WiFi calling allows you to make regular calls on your phone using WiFi instead of the carriers cell towers. No international roaming charges apply and people from the states can call you as normal as well. You are also able to send and receive txt messages without using iMessage. This is a relatively new feature for VZW customers with iOS 9.3 and something ATT and T-Mobile have had for a while. I use it at home all the time now because i have weak LTE coverage while inside.

Just curious if anyone has used this feature, WiFi Calling, on the ship.

Have you enabled WiFi Calling? (Settings -> Phone -> WiFi Calling) If not you should and give it a try. See how it works...

For those that don't know, WiFi calling allows you to make regular calls on your phone using WiFi instead of the carriers cell towers. No international roaming charges apply and people from the states can call you as normal as well. You are also able to send and receive txt messages without using iMessage. This is a relatively new feature for VZW customers with iOS 9.3 and something ATT and T-Mobile have had for a while. I use it at home all the time now because i have weak LTE coverage while inside.

I use the Wifi calling on my iPhone at home for the same reason. But I also sometimes use FaceTime audio when I'm out and I don't have a good phone signal, but have LTE. Sometimes it's a much better connection.

I plan to use it on our next cruise.

Wifi calling seemed to work fine for me on the Explorer in February so this is pre-voom plus we were sailing in New Zealand. I say seems to since I did not place any calls though I did send and receive several texts and they were definitely sms texts, not iMessages. I would expect it to work fine on voom.

I have used Skype on several trips to using the internet to call home I think it is called VOIP(voice over internet provider). However I have found several areas and places that it was blocked or seemed to be blocked. I'm almost willing to bet, that the ship will block Skype or even FaceTime or equivalent. But you will not know until you give it a try. Ah yes it might work on one ship and not another.

They don't, in fact I'm pretty sure they advertise your ability to use Skype with VOOM. Not sure about Facetime.

Help me understand since I just got a phone w wifi calling capability, do I need to purchase an Internet package to use wifi calling? Does it only work when I am connected to free wifi when I am in port?

Help me understand since I just got a phone w wifi calling capability, do I need to purchase an Internet package to use wifi calling? Does it only work when I am connected to free wifi when I am in port?

If you want to use WiFi calling while at sea, then you need to purchase an internet package from the ship.