Confused about European Itineraries on Harmony?

Hello!

I heard that for my September 7, 2016 cruise on Harmony, leaving out of Rome, it will really be me joining a trip that is, in actuality, two different Barcelona-Barcelona trips? Is this true?

If so, how many on the trip will be embarking from Barcelona and how many will be embarking from Rome? Will this change the way our Barcelona day is treated and/or our embarkation process? I'm kind of confused by this, though I understand the reasoning. I'm nervous that we won't really be able to enjoy the ship while Barcelona is debarking, as suitcases and people tend to clog up most of the areas while people are getting off.

Hello!

I heard that for my September 7, 2016 cruise on Harmony, leaving out of Rome, it will really be me joining a trip that is, in actuality, two different Barcelona-Barcelona trips? Is this true?

If so, how many on the trip will be embarking from Barcelona and how many will be embarking from Rome? Will this change the way our Barcelona day is treated and/or our embarkation process? I'm kind of confused by this, though I understand the reasoning. I'm nervous that we won't really be able to enjoy the ship while Barcelona is debarking, as suitcases and people tend to clog up most of the areas while people are getting off.

There is no September 7th cruise. The September 4, 11, 18 & 25th 2016 cruises on Harmony are R/T Barcelona according to the RCI website.

Edited by cruisenfever

There is no September 7th cruise. The September 4, 11, 18 & 25th 2016 cruises on Harmony are R/T Barcelona according to the RCI website.

From Rome is september 8.

Now I see. Shouldn't have used Barcelona as a departure port.

Did an interport cruise on Sea Princess many years ago that was 14 days. Boarded in FLL and then 7 dayts later there was boarding again in Barbados. Seems that Princess ran specials for those in the UK where they flew them to Barbados for 3 or 4 days precruise then their 14 days cruise started in Barbados. Really wasn't that confusing.

Now I see. Shouldn't have used Barcelona as a departure port.

Did an interport cruise on Sea Princess many years ago that was 14 days. Boarded in FLL and then 7 dayts later there was boarding again in Barbados. Seems that Princess ran specials for those in the UK where they flew them to Barbados for 3 or 4 days precruise then their 14 days cruise started in Barbados. Really wasn't that confusing.

As long as it is not confusing. I think my question is more HOW MUCH of the ship is going to be "interported"? I'm asking because I'm traveling with my future FIL and MIL (to celebrate their retirements) and both can get a little confused. I'm hoping to prepare them for this now so that they can understand what is going on when we hit Barcelona.

We're on this cruise out of Rome departing October 6. I asked the same question on this board when I discovered that Barcelona was embark/debark point. One of the replies I got: "You will not notice... Your seapass card will have a different color. When dock in BCN for everyone that embarked in Civi is a normal day..." Someone else replied that he didn't like the concept because you might just get to know someone when they have to depart. I don't know how you can find out how many on your cruise are BCN or Rome embarkees. I'd never heard of interporting before booking this cruise, but I don't think it will have a profound impact on our cruise experience.

We're on this cruise out of Rome departing October 6. I asked the same question on this board when I discovered that Barcelona was embark/debark point. One of the replies I got: "You will not notice... Your seapass card will have a different color. When dock in BCN for everyone that embarked in Civi is a normal day..." Someone else replied that he didn't like the concept because you might just get to know someone when they have to depart. I don't know how you can find out how many on your cruise are BCN or Rome embarkees. I'd never heard of interporting before booking this cruise, but I don't think it will have a profound impact on our cruise experience.

Perfect. That's exactly what I want to hear. I'm HOPING that as large of a ship as Harmony it will be easy not to notice. Will still let FIL/MIL know just in case.

We are doing this as well (August 25 out of Rome departure). I asked a neighbour who did this last year on Allure (I think), and she said you won't even notice. I'd imagine they embark/disembark out of a different parts of the ship. Also, embarking in Rome should be very easy as only about 1,400 passengers (only - LOL!!) embark there. I read a review last year that suggested it only took about 10 minutes from arrival to getting onboard.

Also consider that departures in Barcelona are much less hectic than departures in the US if you have that base of reference. There is no huge line for customs or struggling to get off. You just go when your luggage is ready. This will probably ease congestion besides whatever the ship does. Otherwise ... they have the whole summer to figure it out. ;)

Edited by silentbob007

We've sailed several times in the Med with interporting ships (RCI, but smaller ships). It is really not a big deal at all.

The main things we noticed getting on at a "smaller" embarkation port instead of the main:

the "welcome aboard" show happened mid cruise for us--as did the farewell show--so it seems a little odd that the theming does not match the timing but the shows were still good. I can't recall if Oasis even had a welcome aboard show--I think not so this may be a complete non issue for you.

You only go to the muster drill on the afternoon you board--they did a good job keeping it out of the way and not letting impact those of us not needing to drill. And boarding at one of the smaller embarkation ports often means a small muster drill (we all met in the theater all three times we did this and were just walked to our muster stations at the end) which is in a more comfortable area and moves faster since there are not as many people to account for.

There is the issue that the people you get to know might be leaving before you are is the only thing we really sort of didn't like, but even then there will be people who are on your rotation and you meet new people when the switch happens (I think that was hardest on our kids when many in teh clubs changed mid cruise--easier for adults).

Overall--it is pretty minor and not a big deal. No issues with luggage making it hard to get on and off at the other ports, etc

Edited by NHDisneylover

We have done a few cruises where people get on and off at various ports.

In fact on Costa everyday people start their cruise and others end their cruise. On a 7 day cruise 6 days people get on with luggage and others get off. think for the room stewards maybe they have 3 rooms to change over for guests everyday instead of 20 rooms all the same day.

People who live in the Med want to get on in their home port for a 7 day cruise no flying, no trains etc. Got to love this idea.

We love these kind of ships as maybe half the people get off with luggage and then the rest just go to port as a tourist. No long lines to get off the ship like in Florida. People who are ending their cruise are in a special lounge and you will not even notice them. Think only Half the people trying to get luggage from the luggage room and every time we have gotten off in Barcelona no customs if you have just being traveling around in the Med.

As far as the new people having their life boat drill, it will be conducted likely in the theatre before you leave Barcelona and again you will not heard or see anything. Love these cruises and the no nonsense way things are done.

We've sailed several times in the Med with interporting ships (RCI, but smaller ships). It is really not a big deal at all.

The main things we noticed getting on at a "smaller" embarkation port instead of the main:

the "welcome aboard" show happened mid cruise for us--as did the farewell show--so it seems a little odd that the theming does not match the timing but the shows were still good. I can't recall if Oasis even had a welcome aboard show--I think not so this may be a complete non issue for you.

You only go to the muster drill on the afternoon you board--they did a good job keeping it out of the way and not letting impact those of us not needing to drill. And boarding at one of the smaller embarkation ports often means a small muster drill (we all met in the theater all three times we did this and were just walked to our muster stations at the end) which is in a more comfortable area and moves faster since there are not as many people to account for.

There is the issue that the people you get to know might be leaving before you are is the only thing we really sort of didn't like, but even then there will be people who are on your rotation and you meet new people when the switch happens (I think that was hardest on our kids when many in teh clubs changed mid cruise--easier for adults).

Overall--it is pretty minor and not a big deal. No issues with luggage making it hard to get on and off at the other ports, etc

You are right, Hadley. Oasis class ships do not have welcome aboard shows or farewell shows, because of the nature of the entertainment.

:)

We are doing this as well (August 25 out of Rome departure). I asked a neighbour who did this last year on Allure (I think), and she said you won't even notice. Correct.

I'd imagine they embark/disembark out of a different parts of the ship. Correct.

Also, embarking in Rome should be very easy as only about 1,400 passengers (only - LOL!!) embark there. I read a review last year that suggested it only took about 10 minutes from arrival to getting onboard.Correct on both counts.

Actually, we had the "dingy" for ourselves 2 days :) Embarkation day - we got there very early, and since its "interporting", we could go to our designated cabin and leave the carry on there, the RA was just cleaning it.

All the "Barcelona" pax were in Rome until late in the evening.

The same happened when docking in Barcelona. Pax debarked, and again, we were "alone" most of the day.

The only "minus" I've found was that they took away our seacards when we debarked in Rome ....