Summit Alaska Land Tour and Cruise pictures

gkm

Finally! We returned from our wonderful land tour and cruise over a month ago, but I took so many pictures, it's taken me this long to get everything posted.

The Land Tour was fabulous. We took Tour #12 from Anchorage to Seward and visited Talkeetna, Denali and Fairbanks.

Our cruise was from Seward to Vancouver and we visited Hubbard Glacier, Juneau, Icy Strait Point, Skagway, and Ketchikan before arriving in Vancouver.

We stayed two days in Vancouver and tourerd Victoria and Butchart Gardens.

I took over 1,000 pictures and trying to decide a good mixture was very difficult. It was fun to remember all of the good times we had.

This was a fabulous trip. The tour was wonderful, well managed and our tour guide (Jack) was the best! The transportation was outstanding, our accommodations good, and we spent no time standing around and waiting for anything.

The Summit is a beautiful ship, the food great and our Captain, CD and staff were always smiling and ready to assist us in any way.

Included in my pictures you'll see (on the last page of the cruise portion) the Bar at the Edge of the Earth. I'm glad to hear that this venue is no more. I guess the room will be this way until the next dry dock. We did not attend the "happening" but was disappointed in the way the lounge and it's views had been changed.

The cruise was over on a Friday and we took advantage of the weekend to spend a couple of days in Vancouver. I definitely recommend this. It's a beautiful and fun city and a side trip to Victoria is definitely worth an extra day.

I also recommend taking the land tour first. It really got old living out of a suitcase and packing and moving each day. I wouldn't have missed it for anything though. We saw incredible sights and Denali is not to be missed.

Anyway friends, enjoy, and if you have any questions, ask away.

Garry

Thanks for the nice repllies everyone.

Sue, you're definitely doing this the right way. The Land Tour is fabulous, but tiring and it was so nice to board the ship, unpack and relax, and to know we didn't have to deal with suitcases for a week.

Garry

I really want to view these pictures as I am on this same cruise next year but I must be missing something...I went to photo gallery but I am not finding the link to these photos. I am sure is is right in front of my but could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks Ruth, thanks Joan. The land tour was really spectacular. We couldn't have been there at a better time to see the fall display. The pictures definitely don't do it justice.

Garry

It's great to hear you had a fabulous time!! Cruisetour #12 was one I originally booked for June '06, but I was concerned if it wasn't too much for 5 nights. So I'm planning an independent land tour over 8 nights pre-cruise, hitting the same highlights as tour #12, and have been using your(and Bob's) insights to guide my my way! It's wonderful that the people on this board are so generous with their time and knowledge, Thank You!

Have you seen your orca picture at the f.i.s.h.e.s website? http://www.visithoonah.com/fishes/ Marjorie pointed me there when I booked for next year. You and Bob really did have quite the adventure!!!

Garry, your photos are absolutely wonderful! I throughly enjoyed viewing them, especially the land tour shots. You have made me want to visit Denali, for sure! :) You and Bob did good!:D

I am glad that you had such a fabulous time! The good cheer you experienced with friends is quite evident in the smiles in each of the photos, too! That shot of Marti and Phil (in the hat) on deck is adorable!

I share you sentiments on the Bar at the Edge of the Earth regarding the use of space and the loss of potentially great views. While I have not personally been on Summit yet, I felt the same way about the space on the Constellation last December. Do you know if the lounge will be re-renovated by the time you sail to Hawaii in March? I am scheduled for the voyage right after yours and am quite curious about how the space will be dealt with.

Gina

Thanks wdworbust, patrioticgirl, and Ed.

wdworbust, I hope you enjoy your tour and if you have any questions, please do ask. Bob and I love to talk about our adventures. Floyd was really cute asking for a copy of the orca picture, and I was so lucky to be able to get that shot. He went right under our boat!

patrioticgirl, the Cirque was still performing when we were on board, but we didn't see it. I heard a lot of grumbling though. I hope they will convert the lounge back the way it was, but bet if it happens, it'll have to wait until the next drydock.

Hi Ed.;)

Garry

Garry and Bob, what a GREAT set of photos. I was most captured by those pre-cruise scenes of Mt McKinley, the Wilderness Express, the colours of Denali, the pictures of the Aurora and the shot of the mountains from the plane. Wow! Well, Alaska is now higher up on my list of priorities. Thanks for taking the time to sort and post them.:)

Phil

oh and I think the Bar at the Edge of the Earth looks tatty. Perhaps it is better in real life and maybe at night.

Thank you Phil. Alaska is definitely a destination to put on your "to do" list, and you must do the land tour too and see Denali. Of course, my "to do" list has a lot of places on your side of the pond that I want to see.:D

And I agree, the lounge is tacky. We went in for a drink one night (The drinks cost more), and were not impressed.

Garry

Archived