Getaway review with pictures May 22-29

tropical83

Before I go on with a day by day report and pictures, I have to ask this.

Does anyone else get swollen legs/feet/ankles while on a cruise?

When I got home from my previous 2 cruises, I noticed my ankles and feet were swollen. Not too bad, but still swollen. It went away after a few days. During this cruise, by the 3rd day my ankles and feet were swollen. Later on that night, they were really bad and the swelling went all the way up to my knees. There was points where I felt like my upper legs were a bit swollen too. It was an awful feeling. It never went away throughout the cruise. Some days it would be a bit better, then get worse then a bit better again on and off. I tried not to let it get in the way of my fun, but it was uncomfortable, and I was disappointed it happened during the cruise this time! We got home on Sunday and I am just back to normal now and its Friday. Now that I'm back to normal, I'm realizing just how swollen I was. I feel like I lost 20 lbs on my legs alone since I've been home lol.

I now worry that this will happen to me every time I cruise. Any tips on what I can do next time to prevent this or at least help it not get so bad? Does anyone know what causes this? I thought it could of been too much salt in the food or something. Or does it actually have to do with being at sea?

Another potential cause of this is flying. Sometimes when you are on a plane, your feet will swell. Probably the combination of flying, extra sodium and not drinking as much water we actually need with the heat combines to cause this.

I got bitten on my ankle last year at one of the ports. I swelled like crazy -- much more than usual for me. After I got home, I went to the doctor just in case. He sent me for an ultrasound just to make sure it wasn't a blood clot caused by the flying. It wasn't and the swelling eventually went away.

I'm enjoying your review. We are on the Getaway next year.

So we had all day Saturday May 21 in Miami. We woke up and went downstairs for the free breakfast offered by the Avalon hotel. They had some good basic options like cereal, bagels, toast, croissants, fruit, hard boiled eggs, danishes etc. Good enough for me! After breakfast we headed down to the beach to just relax and get some sun. The hotel also offers free beach chairs and towels as well which I thought was nice. We stayed at the beach for a few hours.

Loving your review so far, we are sailing the Getaway November 2017. We will also be coming down a few days early, however each family has a 7 year old, did you find this hotel kid friendly?

My hubby and I will be sailing out of Miami in September to go on the ESCAPE and we were thinking of going to a Marlins game also. We figure it will be easy to get a taxi from the hotel, but did you have any trouble getting a taxi for the ride back? Are there taxis parked there?

Before I go on with a day by day report and pictures, I have to ask this.

Does anyone else get swollen legs/feet/ankles while on a cruise?

When I got home from my previous 2 cruises, I noticed my ankles and feet were swollen. Not too bad, but still swollen. It went away after a few days. During this cruise, by the 3rd day my ankles and feet were swollen. Later on that night, they were really bad and the swelling went all the way up to my knees. There was points where I felt like my upper legs were a bit swollen too. It was an awful feeling. It never went away throughout the cruise. Some days it would be a bit better, then get worse then a bit better again on and off. I tried not to let it get in the way of my fun, but it was uncomfortable, and I was disappointed it happened during the cruise this time! We got home on Sunday and I am just back to normal now and its Friday. Now that I'm back to normal, I'm realizing just how swollen I was. I feel like I lost 20 lbs on my legs alone since I've been home lol.

I now worry that this will happen to me every time I cruise. Any tips on what I can do next time to prevent this or at least help it not get so bad? Does anyone know what causes this? I thought it could of been too much salt in the food or something. Or does it actually have to do with being at sea?

My ankles and fingers will swell sometime but I think it has to do with heat. Even though we live in a very humid area (SC) we always go in the spring before it gets humid. I usually try to drink a lot of water weeks before going on my cruise because I know that I will be eating more food than I do at home and the heat and humidity is different. I usually wind up having to take my rings off and put in the safe during my cruises.

I also think it can be salt related. When I get home and get back on my normal schedule especially with eating the swelling goes down and I am back to normal.

My husband and I are booked on the Getaway in January, so I am enjoying your review and can't wait for more! It is our first time sailing NCL. I am disappointed to hear that there is no 24 hour pizza place! We have sailed Carnival many times, and loved their pizza! And on the two RCCL we sailed, we loved their pizza place, Sorrentos.

As for your ankle swelling---did you sit with legs down a lot? Sounds like dependent edema, and keeping legs elevated will help. Whenever you feel swollen, put those legs up. I have known several people that have this issue when traveling---especially with long car and plane rides. The risk with those are blood clots---DVTs---and anti-embolism stockings worn with travel can help prevent that, along with edema.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Soups have a lot of sodium and there are other foods you wouldn't think are salty that have more than you're used to, like bread. So you may be eating a lot more of those kinds of foods. You are probably also drinking a lot more than you do at home, so that can be a factor.

I'm loving your review! Thanks for sharing your thoughts especially the quick comparisons to your past cruises and where your impressions from reviews either met or didn't meet your actual experience. It's always interesting to read how different people like different things!

It has happened to me....I was also on this cruise and the swelling wasn't that bad at all for me this time..in the past it has been bad...I just go to my Doctor beforehand and get a water pill ...once I start to feel swollen I take it..it really works...I think it is the salt in the food and the heat possibly....

Sent from my HTC One using Forums mobile app

My husband and I are booked on the Getaway in January, so I am enjoying your review and can't wait for more! It is our first time sailing NCL. I am disappointed to hear that there is no 24 hour pizza place! We have sailed Carnival many times, and loved their pizza! And on the two RCCL we sailed, we loved their pizza place, Sorrentos.

As for your ankle swelling---did you sit with legs down a lot? Sounds like dependent edema, and keeping legs elevated will help. Whenever you feel swollen, put those legs up. I have known several people that have this issue when traveling---especially with long car and plane rides. The risk with those are blood clots---DVTs---and anti-embolism stockings worn with travel can help prevent that, along with edema.

I tried a pair of compression stockings when flying this time because my legs swell when I fly..they worked great! I will never travel without them again!!! I bought them at Wal-Mart for about five dollars.

Another potential cause of this is flying. Sometimes when you are on a plane, your feet will swell. Probably the combination of flying, extra sodium and not drinking as much water we actually need with the heat combines to cause this.

I got bitten on my ankle last year at one of the ports. I swelled like crazy -- much more than usual for me. After I got home, I went to the doctor just in case. He sent me for an ultrasound just to make sure it wasn't a blood clot caused by the flying. It wasn't and the swelling eventually went away.

I'm enjoying your review. We are on the Getaway next year.

I am glad you ended up being ok! And you are right its probably a combination of everything. Its just weird it happens to some people and not others.

So we had all day Saturday May 21 in Miami. We woke up and went downstairs for the free breakfast offered by the Avalon hotel. They had some good basic options like cereal, bagels, toast, croissants, fruit, hard boiled eggs, danishes etc. Good enough for me! After breakfast we headed down to the beach to just relax and get some sun. The hotel also offers free beach chairs and towels as well which I thought was nice. We stayed at the beach for a few hours.

Loving your review so far, we are sailing the Getaway November 2017. We will also be coming down a few days early, however each family has a 7 year old, did you find this hotel kid friendly?

Thanks. You asked if the Avalon hotel was kid friendly. Well I think the free breakfast is convenient for anyone especially if you have kids to feed. However the rooms are kind of small especially with two beds in the room. The 4 of us all shared one room and it was tight. If we would of got 1 room per couple and 1 bed in the room, it would of been much better. There isn't really anything to do at the hotel, but I believe on their website they have a sister hotel somewhere else in south beach where you can go and use the pool for free and use the restaurants at that hotel. I looked into that but it wasn't a quick walk away or anything so we didn't bother! However being right across the street from the beach was great.

great reading your report and lovely photographs we are on the getaway 26/6 so any info is good to read cannot wait for the next installment. many thanks.

I am loving your review!! :)The Getaway is such a great ship! We hope to spend more time in Miami next year when we cruise again next year. Can't wait for the next installment.

Thanks for reading!

My hubby and I will be sailing out of Miami in September to go on the ESCAPE and we were thinking of going to a Marlins game also. We figure it will be easy to get a taxi from the hotel, but did you have any trouble getting a taxi for the ride back? Are there taxis parked there?

Yes it was pretty easy getting a taxi from the hotel. The front desk will call for you or you can try and wave one down yourself.

We found a taxi pretty quickly after the game. Actually we left a bit before the game was over. I did not see any lined up outside, but I think it could of been the exit we took and we started walking down a street away from the park. But we hailed a taxi down pretty quickly.

I am loving your review!! :)The Getaway is such a great ship! We hope to spend more time in Miami next year when we cruise again next year. Can't wait for the next installment.

Thank you!

My ankles and fingers will swell sometime but I think it has to do with heat. Even though we live in a very humid area (SC) we always go in the spring before it gets humid. I usually try to drink a lot of water weeks before going on my cruise because I know that I will be eating more food than I do at home and the heat and humidity is different. I usually wind up having to take my rings off and put in the safe during my cruises.

I also think it can be salt related. When I get home and get back on my normal schedule especially with eating the swelling goes down and I am back to normal.

Hmm I never thought before that it could have to do with the heat. Again maybe its just a mix of everything and my body can't handle it as well as others can. At least my fingers didn't swell lol.

It has happened to me....I was also on this cruise and the swelling wasn't that bad at all for me this time..in the past it has been bad...I just go to my Doctor beforehand and get a water pill ...once I start to feel swollen I take it..it really works...I think it is the salt in the food and the heat possibly....

I'm glad it wasn't that bad for you this time. I will try and be more prepared next time and look into some type of water pills. And I guess just try and eat healthier. As much as all the yummy food I don't usually eat at home will be tempting, I'd rather not swell like I did on this cruise ever again!

Thanks! And yes the pizza situation was a bit disappointing lol. It didn't ruin my cruise by any means, but it just seems like something so simple that they could implement!

As for sitting..well I would lay on the loungers during the day on the ship. But I did feel I would walk around a decent amount, especially during our excursions. But a few times at night when sitting at the bar, I would start to feel worse so I would get up and just stand/walk around. When I went to bed I put pillows from the couch under my legs.

Enjoying your review. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks and you're welcome.

Alright lets get back to the review.

I do want to mention that I do not have the dailies or menus, and I did not take pictures of the food. But if you have any questions about anything like that I'll do my best to answer!

I am also not the best photographer and I just used my canon powershot and iPhone to take pictures :p

Day 1 Embarkation

I woke up pretty early, around 7 am while everyone else slept in a bit longer. I booked the cruise in January so I was just excited that the day was finally here! We went down to get some breakfast at about 9am and then had the front desk call us a taxi. It came pretty quickly and we left the hotel in South Beach at 9:45 am. Traffic was smooth and on the way we caught our first glimpse of the beautiful Norwegian Getaway :)

IMG_4473_zpsfd3idxwl.jpg

IMG_4474_zpszhx1tcht.jpg

When we got to the port of Miami, we headed to Terminal C while our friends went to Terminal B. We went through security very quickly as there was only a few people ahead of us. We probably waited in the check in line for about 10 minutes. When we checked in we found out that the itinerary changed a bit. The Costa Maya and Belize days were swaped. They said it was to avoid congestion in Costa Maya. I found it a bit weird that they changed it at the last minute. Unless something happened where another ships itinerary changed and they ended up in Costa Maya they day we were supposed to be, so they switched us? Who knows.

Anyways, like I said we left our hotel at 9:45 am, and we went through security, checked in and were sitting in the terminal waiting at 10:30am. Pretty quick! I'm trying to remember what boarding group we got. I think it was 10 or 12. But remember, its every other number. So our terminal was 2,4,6,8,10,12 etc, while the other terminal was 1,3,5,7,9 etc.

I think we waited about an hour and boarding began. We were on the ship by 11:50am :)

Edited by tropical83

Since our friends boarded at the other terminal, we made plans to meet them at the waves pool bar. So we headed there right away and they were already there waiting for us. They got on the ship just a few minutes before us. We decided to order a drink and chill there for a bit. We all ordered a Miami Vice.

IMG_4479_zpsfyzuezt4.jpg

IMG_4477_zpsvxh8h75i.jpg

IMG_4478_zpsoctbzybd.jpg

IMG_4481_zpsyprd4bvi.jpg

As you can see there isn't really any room for loungers around the pool. The loungers are either on the deck above or back along the windows in the shade.

Also, the pool is deep and adults only. You can't just go in the pool and stand in it. People would just sit/lay in the shallow part around the edge. Some people would be in the pool but just hanging around on the edge. I also feel like the pool area could of used more colour.

When comparing to Carnival, I'd say Carnivals pool area is better and has a more tropical feel. On the newer and renovated ships anyways.

There is a kids pool and splash area, but I don't believe I took any pictures of that.

After we finished our drinks we went to the buffet for some lunch. It was pretty crowded already at that time but it didn't take too long to grab some food and we were able to find a spot no problem. I had some mac and cheese and a few types of salads and everything was good! There is so much to chose from, its hard to decide what you want. My tip is to walk around and take a look before you start putting food on your plate!

A few random pictures of the Garden Cafe. Not the best pictures so sorry about that.

IMG_4577_zpsgaaqsypw.jpg

IMG_4574_zpsrhkmwj9t.jpg

IMG_4579_zps4lqg3t3t.jpg

After we ate we found ourselves at Spice H20 and hung out there for a bit. The weather was great, hot and sunny.

View of Miami

IMG_4482_zpsjcotmfp1.jpg

IMG_4483_zpsqvapyimd.jpg

Spice H20

IMG_4486_zpsyz4lleff.jpg

The open area is usually filled with loungers during the day, but is used a dance floor for all the parties.

IMG_4487_zpsbheyw6xl.jpg

Here is the water fall feature. Great spot to cool down!

IMG_4488_zpslvhqnje9.jpg

Edited by tropical83