Early seating or late?

Jacqueline

Which is in most demand?

I can't imagine eating dinner at 8:30. I would have to add a whole extra meal at tea!

There is no doubt in my mind that a place on early sitting is the most requested.

Unlike you I could not imagine having dinner at that time.

Apart from anything else, I don't see the point of rushing back from ashore, or missing a sailaway, in order to get myself ready.

And just to add a bit of controversy, on a number of occasions when questioned, sommeliers and wine waiters, across the cruise fleet, have regularly informed me that considerably less wine is drank on the earlier sittings.

Read into that what you wish.;);)

I've had Britannia years of late seatings, especially enjoying that "quiet time" throughout the ship in the dark winter hours 5-7, then would meet friends in the Chart Room before 8:30 dinner. All Grills experiences, the tables usually were in by 7. Last December I had my first Britannia early seating. Loved it, plan to do it again. It opens up many more hours to enjoy the ship at night! Works for me!

Fine on sea days, but as I said above, I'd hate to have to either curtail my shore time or miss a sailaway...

16304653998_592ed0cc17_z.jpg

PS. Having sailed more times in the Grills than Britannia I cannot recall ever arriving for dinner before 7.30 pm. Though it often amazed me how many were more than halfway through their meal at that time.

Edited by Solent Richard

Late sitting every time for us. It means we can indulge in a rather splendid afternoon tea knowing that we have plenty of time to digest before our evening meal. It does mean that sometimes we have been late for the evening show, but this has usually occurred because we have dawdled over our food enjoying the company of our fellow travellers.

Good morning babe.

You raise a particularly good issue.

We live to eat, not eat to live.

Yes, early seating is usually the most popular. For the specific back-to-back crossing from New York you have indicated you are considering on another thread (July 24-August 9, 2016), early seating is waitlisted in both directions.

Regards,

John.

That's interesting Blue marble, how did you find out about the waitlisting. I've only been put on my non-chosen sitting once a couple of trips ago and it was a pain to have to queue up on embarkation day to see the MD and try and get it changed.

MM

That's interesting Blue marble, how did you find out about the waitlisting. I've only been put on my non-chosen sitting once a couple of trips ago and it was a pain to have to queue up on embarkation day to see the MD and try and get it changed.

MM

I know the booking process is different on Cunard's UK web site, but here is a portion of one of the pages of the booking process on Cunard's web site for the U.S. where you can see the status for each seating while selecting your dining preferences.

Cunard%20Dining%20Preference.jpg

Also, here is a portion of the "Dining Options" page in the Voyage Personaliser where you can view the status of each seating after having made a booking and change your dining preferences if desired.

Cunard%20Dining%20Options.jpg

Again, this is for a booking made in the U.S. I do not know how much (if any) of this is available for a booking made in the UK, especially on a "Saver" fare.

Regards,

John.

I know the booking process is different on Cunard's UK web site, but here is a portion of one of the pages of the booking process on Cunard's web site for the U.S. where you can see the status for each seating while selecting your dining preferences.

Cunard%20Dining%20Preference.jpg

Also, here is a portion of the "Dining Options" page in the Voyage Personaliser where you can view the status of each seating after having made a booking and change your dining preferences if desired.

Cunard%20Dining%20Options.jpg

Again, this is for a booking made in the U.S. I do not know how much (if any) of this is available for a booking made in the UK, especially on a "Saver" fare.

Regards,

John.

Good morning John.

Thank you for the illustrations, it all looks very efficient to me.

Here in the UK it's also pretty efficient when you initially book your cruise early.

Thanks Blue Marble, I can't say I've ever noticed that before, but then I'm not very observant. It looks like I've got the sitting of my choice for the next TA though. I prefer late sitting but unfortunately my digestion does not.

My preference would be 8:00, 6 is way too early and 8:30 is a little too late but we go for late anyway. I don't think that the Club Balcony is worth twice the cost for anytime dining. I wish there was a better alternative:mad:

Definitely late sitting for me. Just couldn't miss out on the atmosphere in the Chart Room or the Commodore from 7.30/8.30pm ;)

Even if I'm not that hungry I'll still visit my table mates each evening for a chit chat .....don't want to miss out on anything .

We would never dream of eating our dinner at 6-30pm at home. well, we could not do so anyway as I work till 20-00 Hrs:) far too early in my opinion.

On our cruises, it is never an issue to think about we dine late and that is it. There is no way I could ever get myself ready in time for dinner at 6-30. I need the time to relax and slap on the warpaint, do my hair decide what to wear as I am high maintenance. :)

Plus we like to see the sail away as I like to dance to the band on deck. Then get ready and have at least one hour for cocktails in the Commodore and of course the lovely hot canapes arrive at 20-00 hrs.;)

Not that I eat them as they would smudge my lippy or I would drop crumbs on my dress but I love to see them and love it when I can say how kind but no thank you. :) I am so disciplined. :D :

We would never dream of eating our dinner at 6-30pm at home. well, we could not do so anyway as I work till 20-00 Hrs:) far too early in my opinion.

On our cruises, it is never an issue to think about we dine late and that is it. There is no way I could ever get myself ready in time for dinner at 6-30. I need the time to relax and slap on the warpaint, do my hair decide what to wear as I am high maintenance.

Plus we like to see the sail away as I like to dance to the band on deck. Then get ready and have at least one hour for cocktails in the Commodore and of course the lovely hot canapes arrive at 20-00 hrs.;)

Not that I eat them as they would smudge my lippy or I would drop crumbs on my dress but I love to see them and love it when I can say how kind but no thank you. :) I am so disciplined. :D :

Couldn't agree more MM.

When we owned our restaurant the most popular time for bookings was 8.00 pm.

My most 'popular/favoured' time was 7.00 because I knew I could resell that table around 8.45.

I know, I was a mercenary B. :):)