Venice - transport - advice needed

lydnsyd

My flight doesn't arrive into Venice Airport until 2325hrs - we hope to book a Hotel - Santa Chiara which is near to the bus termini.

Has any one had experience of getting transport at such a late time -I've heard that the buses at late/early hours can be a bit hit & miss so we don't mind getting a taxi or arranging for a Private Car to collect us.

We also hope to spend a few nights in Venice on our return & yet again our flight leaves at an awkward time 0715

Any suggestions or recommendation for Private Car transfers would also be welcome.

Thanks

I'm a big user of public transit but I think that with an arrival that late even I would spring for a taxi or a car service. By the time you get your luggage and are ready to leave it will be after midnight.

In fact, I think I'd prefer the car service in this situation and I would ask the driver to call the hotel and let them know when you are arriving. Hotel desks aren't always staffed throughout the night so a call will ensure someone is ready to accept you.

Since you have no plans to sightsee upon arrival, why not stay by the airport. There are a couple of hotels closeby that offer a shuttle. Sleep in, have a nice b'fast, and catch a cab to the pier. OR, take the shuttle back to the airport, catch the ATVO express bus to Piazzale Roma, then take the monorail to the pier.

For your early flight home, you could use the ATVO Bus or a cab.

Thanks guys for the advice. We have now booked into the Santa Chiara Hotel & have also contacted taxi-finder. They have come up with a Limo company 39 Euro's one way which is reasonable so will go with that.

I hadn't heard of taxi finder before but will certainly use them again.

This CC Forum is awesome - appreciate all your help:)

We would probably also use a taxi at that late hour, although our normal transportation, the express ATVO bus, does run until 1:20am! To be honest, we had no idea they ran that bus (it is luxury express from the airport to P. Roma) after midnight....but did check after reading your post.

Hank

Thanks guys for the advice. We have now booked into the Santa Chiara Hotel & have also contacted taxi-finder. They have come up with a Limo company 39 Euro's one way which is reasonable so will go with that.

I hadn't heard of taxi finder before but will certainly use them again.

This CC Forum is awesome - appreciate all your help:)

You've got very good price! We paid 50 eur one way last Oct for similar transfers (late night arrival and early morning departure) arranged by the hotel. There were 3 of us, so maybe that is the reason for the higher price. We had a minivan both ways which could have taken 6 passengers at least.

We were staying at Ca Doge both nights, which is close to Santa Chiara, I believe. Right at the Piazzale Roma.

I opted to stay there because I wanted us to explore the city before going to the pier and also afterwards to spend as much time at Venice as possible. Unfortunately we could not use more vacation time as Venice is a wonderful city.