Valor Pix and Thoughts May 30-June4

margie1221

Had a great time - hadn't been on Carnival in years - will do pro's and con's vs. NCL if you'd like to hear our experience :)

Folks want photos - here we go...

We were in Cabin 6309 - basic mid ship balcony - GREAT location for us - TONS of storage, quiet but near elevators, excellent water pressure, beds kinda firm but OK

DSC02466.jpg

Day in Amber Cove was crazy & crowded but fun!! Not much shopping, didn't book excursion - sat by pool and watched "activities"!!! Drinks & food expensive as others have posted. Bathrooms new and clean but had a septic odor. Cabanas available in the pool area and the lagoon.

Swim up bar was the main attraction but there were also several bridges that led to different pool areas, in particular I liked the wade in pool for kids. There was also a water slide, zip lining and a restaurant if you wanted a bite to eat...

DSC02492.jpg

DSC02491.jpg

DSC02501.jpg

Made us think of Jurassic Park!!

DSC02504.jpg

Took a ride back to the ship on the pedal cart - they work for tips only - thank you!!

DSC02508.jpg

Next up... Chef's Table!!

I surprised hubby with this specialty dining experience as we were celebrating our 35th Wedding Anniversary - he's pretty much a gourmet cook and I thought he'd like the unique menu and the "behind the scenes" portion of the evening. It was a little pricey ($75 pp) but probably less than a "Swimming with the Dolphins" kind of excursion which is definitely not his type of thing anyway!!

So, we started with bottomless glasses of champagne...

{and Photobucket has apparently crashed... to be continued tomorrow evening :) )

Next up... Chef's Table!!

I surprised hubby with this specialty dining experience as we were celebrating our 35th Wedding Anniversary - he's pretty much a gourmet cook and I thought he'd like the unique menu and the "behind the scenes" portion of the evening. It was a little pricey ($75 pp) but probably less than a "Swimming with the Dolphins" kind of excursion which is definitely not his type of thing anyway!!

So, we started with bottomless glasses of champagne...

{and Photobucket has apparently crashed... to be continued tomorrow evening :) )

Margie,

How was the Chefs Table? We will be on the Valor for my birthday, July 11, and planning on the Chefs Table. Is it worth it? What kind of food did you have? I am a very picky eater ( steak and potato's guy ), and although I do not like cream sauces I am willing to give different foods a try for this night. Thanks, Larry

Is that a full-on Red Frog Pub complete with kitchen (finger food) like on the Breeze or just a bar?

Not sure - there was an open front bar area with some games, then the bar itself and then a back bar with a one-man band - never seemed to many people in there... sorry I don't know if food was offered

Margie,

How was the Chefs Table? We will be on the Valor for my birthday, July 11, and planning on the Chefs Table. Is it worth it? What kind of food did you have? I am a very picky eater ( steak and potato's guy ), and although I do not like cream sauces I am willing to give different foods a try for this night. Thanks, Larry

I was about to pick up where I left off - with the Chef's Table - but wanted to answer your post directly and let you know that the offerings are gourmet and unique - definitely need to go into it with an open mind that you'll at least try everything. There's TONS of courses and plentiful wine. The Chef walks you through each course - ingredients, how it was prepared, who developed it, etc. As you'll see in my description below, the event starts with a full tour of the galley and two courses actually are served in there. Then we all went into the Betsy Ross Room - private dining area for 12 people, just off the Lincoln Dining Room, for the rest of the dinner.

Yes it was worth it for us - I cannot have creamy anything (bad gut!) and I did not have any issues. The turning point for me to book this was someone here on CC said, think of it as an excursion... it did last about three hours and was limited to a very small group and it was a unique experience we definitely enjoyed and will remember from our anniversary cruise. A lot of excursions are well over $75 pp and not for us :)

So, spoiler alert if you want to be completely surprised with the Chef's Table experience... The Reception portion of the program consisted of Champagne and several exotic appetizers served in a section of the Galley

DSC02510.jpg

DSC02511.jpg

DSC02515.jpg

DSC02516.jpg

DSC02517.jpg

DSC02519.jpg

Then on to the Betsy Ross Room for our private 7-course dinner - fairly formal, with assigned seating and placecards! We also had a group photo taken which was delivered to us at the end of the dinner - nice memento :)

DSC02524.jpg

DSC02525.jpg

DSC02526.jpg

DSC02527.jpg

I'm not really a foodie but I had to take photos of all these dishes!!!!