Upgrade Fairy Alive and Well

We got the call about 5 weeks before sailing. Did not know the room until 3 days before sailing. We did not expect the upgrade and was happy with what we got, points and all.

We leave again in 3 weeks for our last cruise as emerald. So our thanksgiving cruise we will be Diamond. Just go to hope nothing changes in the next 4 months to the points. Once we are locked in I will not care.

Thank you for this info. Still learning.

Not sure what you mean by being locked in?? Maybe off topic.

We booked a JS on Her Majesty, on our last sailing on her, as a treat. It was a midweek sailing and the price difference wasn't huge and it was a treat for us, since we highly doubt we will be sailing on her again with her homeporting in PC now.

It was nice, but it doesn't mean we 'have to be in a JS' in the future. I am not a 'tub' soaker, so the only thing the tub gave me was an easy ledge to shave my legs. Because it had a tub, the bathroom was bigger in general and had lots more space.

We just booked Empress with just an outside oceanview, not even a balcony.

Assuming Majesty is still like it's former twin sister Monarch, the only balcony cabins

on board are JS and above. And I believe Empress is the same set up.

They could move you from a D5 to a D2, but they would normally upgrade to the next highest super category. You could call C&A and have them set your upgrade preference to "call first" so you have a chance to say no. However, I suspect this would lower your potential of getting an upgrade.

Can you call and do that? I did notice call first was removed from the choices in our profiles. I would use the call first option once my 2017 cruise is over as I have a great cabin choice for 2018, but would accept a suite upgrade.

Can you call and do that? I did notice call first was removed from the choices in our profiles. I would use the call first option once my 2017 cruise is over as I have a great cabin choice for 2018, but would accept a suite upgrade.

Yes, calling is the only way to check the box that says you want an upgrade, and not check any of the exceptions. Supposedly this means to them that they need to call first. You should know that we've never received an upgrade call. We've only received two upgrades and those were when we had automatic with no restrictions checked.

Edited by clarea

Thank you for this info. Still learning.

Not sure what you mean by being locked in?? Maybe off topic.

I would say the term "locked in" is referring to Diamond status.

I don't see Royal removing people that are in a teir if the point requirements change.

Yes, calling is the only way to check the box that says you want an upgrade, and not check any of the exceptions. Supposedly this means to them that they need to call first. You should know that we've never received an upgrade call. We've only received two upgrades and those were when we had automatic with no restrictions checked.

Just once for us, and no call either. Same deal, had "automatic upgrade" checked and

indeed they did just that! We had a direct hump D1 balcony on Serenade, which

made us a sought after cabin. Several others that were on direct hump had the same

thing happen on our cruise. We were moved without notice to a JS. No extra points,

and though we missed that nice location, we were still happy for the extremely rare

upgrade anyway! :)

I have been told one definitive method as I asked when I got my upgrade on Legend last year...

- RCL starts from top tier member points and works their way down

- if top tier member already has a GS/OS/RS there's obviously not much chance to upgrade so the ask they next top tier member in line

- if top tier member has a balcony, and there is a JS or higher they can upgrade, they will call that top tier member and ask them whether they accept the upgrade.

- then they look at the next top tier member in points, and so on and so on

If you are on a sailing that is sold out or super popular, basically don't hold our breath imho. Also if our on a ship/sailing that is popular with many top tier members then don't hold your breath either. Also, if the amount of cabins ahead higher than what you have are all sold out there's probably zero chance for an upgrade.

On Legend, friends of mine who were ahead of me on points were called before me and declined the upgrade as they were midship balcony and sensitive to motion. I took an upgrade (from an interior!!! didn't matter what cabin I booked, it went on C&A points alone and which C&A member was next in line) and got an aft balcony!!!! then I know Coloradobabe on the forum got called and she upgraded to a balcony as well

Yes I did get upgraded on that cruise from a Large Interior State room to a balcony that was slightly obstructed. I also received an upgrade on the Liberty of the Seas a few years ago on both legs of our B2B. First leg from a JS to a RFS and then from a JS to an OS. Nothing lately but we are always happy with our JS whether we get upgraded or not. :)

I would say the term "locked in" is referring to Diamond status.

I don't see Royal removing people that are in a teir if the point requirements change.

For another thread but remember changes can be made at any time to C&A program at any time for any reason. I've been in programs that have adjusted status levels and no guarantee anyone grandfathered in. What if they added additional levels and then changed the structure below. What good does it be to be grandfathered in at that point.

Have a nice day.

• 2 months later...
Booked guaranteed balcony 12 days out notified of cabin D1 Hump cabin

6598 very pleased upgrade fairy you did great Sail 9-4-2016

The one and only time we were ever upgraded, was the time we had a hump

cabin reserved. Those are highly desirable...as we found out, as did several

others on "the hump" on our cruise. We were all upgraded to a JS.

Good luck!! :D

Booked guaranteed balcony 12 days out notified of cabin D1 Hump cabin

6598 very pleased upgrade fairy you did great Sail 9-4-2016

That is a nice cabin, and I am happy that you are happy.

But that's not an upgrade, and there was no fairy involved.

That is a fulfillment of your balcony guarantee booking.

:)

Bon Voyage!

Our first cruise many many years ago on Grandeur of the Seas out of Baltimore we had no status and were upgraded from balcony to family suite and it was amazing! Our next cruise isn't until Dec 2017 on Adventure and while we have a balcony booked secretly hope and pray [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Enjoyed reading these posts and have cruised several times, but could any of you tell me what is a "hump cabin".

Some of the ships flare outward, sort of a hump on each side if viewed from above. Look at deck plans until you see it. They typically offer better views, may have larger balconies, and may be more exposed to the wind.

Enjoyed reading these posts and have cruised several times, but could any of you tell me what is a "hump cabin". I have seen it referred to in so many posts but have no idea what it is or how you select one when booking the room?

Look at this random deck plan and see the hump midship:

jw_deck08_v2016_apr.gif

We are on Navigator of the seas first leg of a B2B. Just got an email this morning offering an complimentary upgrade from D1 to JS for our next leg to the Baltics. So excited [emoji4][emoji106][emoji4]

Nice upgrade, the fairy is alive and quite well. Our friends are boarding radiance and they were upgraded from a grand suite to the owner's suite, really sweet upgrade.

Maybe there is hope for us. We have a D2 at the beginning of the hump for our Oasis cruise in October. Fingers crossed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Without hope...there would be no fun of anticipation!! You never

know when the upgrade fairy will grant you a wish. I hope she pays

you a visit! :D

Edited by island lady

Nice upgrade, the fairy is alive and quite well. Our friends are boarding radiance and they were upgraded from a grand suite to the owner's suite, really sweet upgrade.

We just came off the Radiance B2B Alaska. Is that where they are cruising also? I know

those Alaska cruises are coming to end of season soon, and then Radiance heading south

towards Australia.

That is indeed a fantastic upgrade! I know they will enjoy! :D

The husband and I were talking about upgrades last night, is there a specific tier for C&A that these are potentially available for?

C&A upgrades are awarded according to tier level and cabin category booked. Usually, but not always, the C&A upgrades occur in the week prior to sailing. (Revenue Department upgrades are done randomly and at any time.)

Edited by travelgoddess1

Our one and only upgrade was for the D1 hump balcony to JS on Serenade.

We are D+, as were several others that had hump balconies on the same cruise

that were upgraded.

The one Pinnacle in our CC group had an aft (not wake) D1 cabin and did

not get upgraded. He was not a happy camper, so it seemed it was indeed

cabin location for us.

Otherwise, sometimes I think the upgrade fairy just throws darts at a board. ;)

Our one and only upgrade was for the D1 hump balcony to JS on Serenade.

We are D+, as were several others that had hump balconies on the same cruise

that were upgraded.

The one Pinnacle in our CC group had an aft (not wake) D1 cabin and did

not get upgraded. He was not a happy camper, so it seemed it was indeed

cabin location for us.

Otherwise, sometimes I think the upgrade fairy just throws darts at a board. ;)

Without knowing details, it sounds as though a group wanted cabins in the same area and Revenue upgraded those of you who were lucky enough to be in that area. I don't blame the Pinnacle who was unhappy. We were upgraded several years ago in a similar situation, 3 months prior to sailing, which almost never happens. (A large group wanted the set of cabins where we were booked.)

The husband and I were talking about upgrades last night, is there a specific tier for C&A that these are potentially available for?

Free upgrades supposedly for D+ and above, however the odds seem to be infinitesimal.