Entertainment

scotslizzy

Currently one week into my first Oceania cruise and have not felt the need to see any shows whatsoever. I stay pretty busy every day with excursions ashore or activities on board, until it is time to enjoy my well cooked and highly enjoyable dinners (none of which have taken anywhere near 3 hours) then either head back to my room to read or watch a movie, or have a drink and a lively chat in a bar with some of my fellow travellers on the ship whom I have met during the cruise.

No idea of the shows on board and far less care as these are never, on any line, important to me. Have I failed in the eyes of some posters?

If so, my apologies - I will try to care ;)

Oceania working beautifully for me so far. Also, for what it is worth, I honestly have not spoken to anyone so far, at any point during any day, who cares about seeing the shows. They seem to be in a minority to me, given my own experience here.

What makes you think that you have failed in the eyes of some posters?

After all, until you posted we didn't know anything about you.

I'm truly surprised at the antagonism shown by some posters in this thread towards anyone who doesn't want to spend an evening in exactly the same way as they do. Whatever happened to live and let live - and good manners?

Whatever happened to live and let live - and good manners?

The logic is that the entertainment budget is culled from all of of our fares, so although we might perceive that a person dozing at a midnight show in a nightclub ashore is being rude to the performers, most of us probably would not say anything, on a ship it is a different story because "our money" wasted on that show might have gone towards something else which more of us enjoyed more.

Do you want to see more caviar on the menu?, more foie gras? , a larger line of dancing girls?, more television options in the cabins?; all of it is a balancing act.

• 9 months later...
Hi, folks:

What time are the evening shows on Regatta? Are they 2x/night? We're trying to figure out our dining schedules...

Many thanks!

Waterway

All Oceania ships have 1 main evening show

usually 9:30 or 9:45 pm lasts about 1.5 hrs

Entertainment is not the focus of the line nor its repeat passengers... who enjoy each others conversation over some honkey tonk production

With the VERY GREATEST OF RESPECT for your point of view, I do not think entertainment is automatically a honkey tonk production just because it is on a cruise ship. Nor do I think entertainment is automatically "high brow" because somebody is playing a violin.

Thinking of coming back to Oceania this year but can someone inform me about the entertainment please?

Our last cruise with Oceania was in 2013 and although we loved the food and overall ambience on board we found the standard of evening entertainment was too muted.

Has there been any changes over the past couple of years ?

Thanks

NO.....the focus of the line is not on entertainment but dining which is the entertainment most enjoy preferring a long social dinner to rushing through dinner to catch a gala show. Basicaly a small lounge act at 9:30 nothing large.

Thats the demographic the line caters to... and people who are independent enough to entertain themselves.. If that's you then great, if it is not...remember not all lines and ships are good for all people

With the VERY GREATEST OF RESPECT for your point of view, I do not think entertainment is automatically a honkey tonk production just because it is on a cruise ship. Nor do I think entertainment is automatically "high brow" because somebody is playing a violin.

Not my intent to classify whats proper or good. My Honkey tonk reference was made to describe the scale of a show or venue not its virtue....they are small and range from violin and chamber music or 1 to 2 singers to comedian and juggler, magician the sort you might find as a lounge act...rather than a large theater production with all manner of sight sound and stage craft.... Like the mega ships do on their 1000 foot, 3000 to 6000 passenger loads can see.

Again sorry you took it as a social commentary...It was not intended to be so.