Entertainment

scotslizzy

We are not late night owls (normally) but when on holiday we do like to have some choices of evening entertainment and this is where Oceania fails quite a way down from other cruise lines.

It will be interesting to read what happens after 25th June in terms of more lively entertainment. And for those who wish to retire early so be it but Oceania has to engage with all their paying customers or like others have stated move to other lines.

Scotslizzy

The point is that, oceaina is, by choice, way down the line compared to other cruise lines who provide a wide variety of evening choices.

Oceania has already engaged with their vast majority of paying customers to whom entertainment is un-important and who's focus is dining, conversation and plain old low key relaxation. They are not people who place importance to entertainment. The vast majority of clientele of Oceaina is quite happy not to have lavish, productions , cabaret ..magicians, or rocking discos and bands....That's why they choose Oceania and exactly why you want that to change because it doesn't match you tastes...... Two different worlds....

I reiterate, the core of the passengers not only doesn't mind the lack of the shows...they enjoy their absence. Oceania would probably loose more passengers than it would gain by adding more focus on entertainment because it would have come at the expense of something else...

I fully respect your wants and desires to have a dinner followed by a choice of lovely productions, and cabarets. Being in the UK you have a wonderful , if not the best theater and entertainment choices in the world.... You used to that and comfortable with that; Wonderful, great, fine.

There is not a thing wrong with that BUTyou need to go to ships/lines that have that, not bring another lines program to replace an others..

As I said, all lines are not the same, their focus, their quality, their demographics all different .....

Oceania sets its self apart, from the others in its ambiance, cuisine and low key enjoyment. free from children's programs, and round the clock choice of entertainment... Its not the desire of their clienteles demographic..

Clearly you have defined what you want... and clearly you should understand that O is never going to be what you want and need to find a line that has things in your comfort zone....

I hope you do.

I have

But we both like different things and its ok...

The point is that, oceaina is, by choice, way down the line compared to other cruise lines who provide a wide variety of evening choices.

Oceania has already engaged with their vast majority of paying customers to whom entertainment is un-important and who's focus is dining, conversation and plain old low key relaxation. They are not people who place importance to entertainment. The vast majority of clientele of Oceaina is quite happy not to have lavish, productions , cabaret ..magicians, or rocking discos and bands....That's why they choose Oceania and exactly why you want that to change because it doesn't match you tastes...... Two different worlds....

I reiterate, the core of the passengers not only doesn't mind the lack of the shows...they enjoy their absence. Oceania would probably loose more passengers than it would gain by adding more focus on entertainment because it would have come at the expense of something else...

I fully respect your wants and desires to have a dinner followed by a choice of lovely productions, and cabarets. Being in the UK you have a wonderful , if not the best theater and entertainment choices in the world.... You used to that and comfortable with that; Wonderful, great, fine.

There is not a thing wrong with that BUTyou need to go to ships/lines that have that, not bring another lines program to replace an others..

As I said, all lines are not the same, their focus, their quality, their demographics all different .....

Oceania sets its self apart, from the others in its ambiance, cuisine and low key enjoyment. free from children's programs, and round the clock choice of entertainment... Its not the desire of their clienteles demographic..

Clearly you have defined what you want... and clearly you should understand that O is never going to be what you want and need to find a line that has things in your comfort zone....

I hope you do.

I have

But we both like different things and its ok...

Good grief Dan....no-one is expecting West End style entertainment on O! We are not talking glitzy shows at all, just some nice appropriate entertainment post dinner. We all know food is O's focus but many pax do want some good entertainment as well. Silversea, Crystal and Azamara can do it, so why not Oceania?

Just a talented pianist and singer maybe and a little light entertainment/cabaret in the theatre or lounge, depending whether you are on an R class or Marina/Riviera. Also some pax who are still awake past 10 pm would be nice. Not too much to ask of any cruise line is it?

I have to say the entertainment on Marina was absolutely dire and we walked out of two shows. Not something I have ever done before, even if the show wasn't to my taste, because I was brought up to be polite. Hope Nautica is much better. I know my Azamara cruise in a few days will have great entertainment, even if it's still low key.

Oh Arlene, please don't do that on my account! For, and I quote 'Entertainment is not the focus of the line nor its repeat passengers... who enjoy each others conversation over some honkey tonk production"

Oops, silly me, I quite forgot that you and I are repeat passengers.

I don't think after 20+ cruises we sail for the entertainment on O -- there are so many other things!! Arlene;)

I don't think after 20+ cruises we sail for the entertainment on O -- there are so many other things!! Arlene;)

We don't sail for the entertainment on O either, nor indeed on Windstar, but that doesn't mean that we think that a poor entertainment product is a good thing. A better post dinner and even post show product needn't preclude those who wish for a quieter life taking to their cabins with a good book or continuing their after dinner conversations. It's a shame that some posters are appalled by the idea of others enjoying themselves in a way that doesn't t fit with their personal taste.

I know you'll have a great time - you surely know more about O than most of us - and I look forward to reading your report on the entertainment.

Bon voyage, Sella

Edited by SellaVee

Good grief Dan....no-one is expecting West End style entertainment on O! We are not talking glitzy shows at all, just some nice appropriate entertainment post dinner. We all know food is O's focus but many pax do want some good entertainment as well. Silversea, Crystal and Azamara can do it, so why not Oceania?

Just a talented pianist and singer maybe and a little light entertainment/cabaret in the theatre or lounge, depending whether you are on an R class or Marina/Riviera. Also some pax who are still awake past 10 pm would be nice. Not too much to ask of any cruise line is it?

I have to say the entertainment on Marina was absolutely dire and we walked out of two shows. Not something I have ever done before, even if the show wasn't to my taste, because I was brought up to be polite. Hope Nautica is much better. I know my Azamara cruise in a few days will have great entertainment, even if it's still low key.

Well said!! Like you say, it would be good to have a little something going on in the evenings. We have found that some CDs (well, one in particular) is very proactive in organising 'extra' evening events which attract packed audiences, so we're obviously not alone in wanting a little bit more :D.

I'm not sure if Dan is an official spokesperson for O passengers with regard to their entertainment needs :(

Cruise lines are competing for passengers and will do their best to attract and retain passengers. It's all about providing a choice - hey, I don't use the gym, eat lobster or play bingo - but I will still cruise on O if the itinerary suits me!

What type of entertainment are people looking for post show ?

Not that I really care but curious what other lines provide after 10:30pm for those that like to stay up late

What type of entertainment are people looking for post show ?

Not that I really care but curious what other lines provide after 10:30pm for those that like to stay up late

Well, firstly I have to say that personally, I don't consider 10:30 pm late! :)

Listening to a good singer playing the piano or guitar, or dancing to a live band is nice. A late night comedy show can be good...as long as it's a proper comedian and not a "comedy magician/juggler." I like watching the Ukrainian or Russian dancers on Azamara. They are so talented. A nightclub with dancing is good too for those who want to use a bit more energy. For those who just want some music while having a drink, the pianist is ideal. Most other cruise lines provide these basics.

There are a lot of options for those who would like some nightlife, that certainly don't require a full theatre production show. I am sure that there are other good ideas.

Lottie thanks for your thoughts maybe someone at Oceania will listen up

I enjoy listening to a nice piano player or guitarist also

you can keep the comedians though ...not my cup of tea ;)

like others have stated we are on holiday and want some options after having a wonderful dinner and not feel we are being categorised as some wild party animals .

The very fact that Oceania is "changing " their entertainment this month indicates that they do read the comments and feedback and appreciate that not everyone will want to go to bed immediately after the show.

If it Oceania does indeed provide more upbeat entertainment then all to the good .

Scotslizzy

like others have stated we are on holiday and want some options after having a wonderful dinner and not feel we are being categorised as some wild party animals .

The very fact that Oceania is "changing " their entertainment this month indicates that they do read the comments and feedback and appreciate that not everyone will want to go to bed immediately after the show.

If it Oceania does indeed provide more upbeat entertainment then all to the good .

Scotslizzy

Most of the O ships already have the new NCL group entertainment as stated before

It has been in place since last year

Marina may have still had a contract with JAR group to finish up

Not sure if it will have any bearing on the late night activities or not that may be in the hands of the CD

I did not notice many changes on our April cruises ..time will tell

Well said!! Like you say, it would be good to have a little something going on in the evenings. We have found that some CDs (well, one in particular) is very proactive in organising 'extra' evening events which attract packed audiences, so we're obviously not alone in wanting a little bit more :D.

I'm not sure if Dan is an official spokesperson for O passengers with regard to their entertainment needs :(

Cruise lines are competing for passengers and will do their best to attract and retain passengers. It's all about providing a choice - hey, I don't use the gym, eat lobster or play bingo - but I will still cruise on O if the itinerary suits me!

No I am not a spoksman for O....but I have taken more than a few cruises and got to know a lot of fellow repeat passengers... I was just commenting on what perceived

If you like Silver Sea, Crystals entertainment then choose those lines or your enjoyment...thats all

No I dont think your UK entertainment is all west end stuff... But It has been an observation from visiting and working in UK over the years that the British are much more into live entertainment from pubs to theater...its sort of cultural. and traditional. There is nothing wrong with that. Americans , however, generally are not as keen for the dinner and a show as you.

You stress cruise lines are active in trying to attract and retain passengers. That is true.... However, each line determines what sort of passenger it gears for and what will attract that demographic.

What you and others are failing to understand is that what you seek , even though you dearly love and desire it , is not part of the demographic that O is marketing to . They are very successful in attracting and retaining passengers based on what they are now doing.

O is not in a wholesale competition for passengers and is not trying to keep up with what any other cruise line is doing.. O has a product that pleases the past and current market.. and is very successful in pleasing that market demographic sector.....no matter how it dosent please you, that is reality.

Sadly, that product is not what you want. Its like you want to buy a Ford, but really wish that they could offer some features of Rolls Royce.

Its recipe for frustration want to have all your desires fulfilled in what ever purchase you choose. Look , your interested in O, You would like to experience it...however you want O to change more to suit your interest and likes.. Your probably a great person, but in looking in the mirror, you need to realize that Oceania in not a good fit for you.

That is your problem and your only going to frustrate your self if you fail to understand that O is not going to change for you. You have to accept that and realize that perhaps you cant get the experience you seek on O. and need to , despite all your wants, look at other lines who are seeking passengers just like you !!

Not all lines please all people, you need to select those that fit you not hope that a company will change to please you....

Just looking at my recent CURRENTS for our April Regatta cruise

after the show

Horizons

10:30pm -11:15 dancing with Regatta Orchestra, jazz band, jive talk disco, karaoke hour, name that tune,50's at the hop party, latin dance night, let's groove tonight dancing,salute party night

different theme each night

Happy hour 10:30-11:30 pm

11:30 to late dancing to the Jukester jukebox

Martinis

Piano player 11:00- midnight

name that show 1 night only out of 10

Edited by LHT28

No I am not a spoksman for O....but I have taken more than a few cruises and got to know a lot of fellow repeat passengers... I was just commenting on what perceived

If you like Silver Sea, Crystals entertainment then choose those lines or your enjoyment...thats all

No I dont think your UK entertainment is all west end stuff... But It has been an observation from visiting and working in UK over the years that the British are much more into live entertainment from pubs to theater...its sort of cultural. and traditional. There is nothing wrong with that. Americans , however, generally are not as keen for the dinner and a show as you.

You stress cruise lines are active in trying to attract and retain passengers. That is true.... However, each line determines what sort of passenger it gears for and what will attract that demographic.

What you and others are failing to understand is that what you seek , even though you dearly love and desire it , is not part of the demographic that O is marketing to . They are very successful in attracting and retaining passengers based on what they are now doing.

O is not in a wholesale competition for passengers and is not trying to keep up with what any other cruise line is doing.. O has a product that pleases the past and current market.. and is very successful in pleasing that market demographic sector.....no matter how it dosent please you, that is reality.

Sadly, that product is not what you want. Its like you want to buy a Ford, but really wish that they could offer some features of Rolls Royce.

Its recipe for frustration want to have all your desires fulfilled in what ever purchase you choose. Look , your interested in O, You would like to experience it...however you want O to change more to suit your interest and likes.. Your probably a great person, but in looking in the mirror, you need to realize that Oceania in not a good fit for you.

That is your problem and your only going to frustrate your self if you fail to understand that O is not going to change for you. You have to accept that and realize that perhaps you cant get the experience you seek on O. and need to , despite all your wants, look at other lines who are seeking passengers just like you !!

Not all lines please all people, you need to select those that fit you not hope that a company will change to please you....

OMG! :rolleyes:

Not often I'm speechless! Where on earth did all that come from? As for most Americans not enjoying the shows....definitely not the case on Silversea, Crystal, Azamara, Cunard and Celebrity. Maybe they don't enjoy the shows on Oceania because they aren't very good?

So asking for a bit of late night low key entertainment is unreasonable? Not all of us want to be in bed with a hot drink at 10:30 pm. No body is telling you that you can't have a quiet drink then go early to bed, if that's what you prefer Dan.

I'm not asking O to change for me ...but judging by the price discounts in the UK at the moment, they are having some trouble filling their ships. I get an offer nearly every day, which is what made us book the Nautica cruise...it was a huge bargain. However, I have to say we are now strongly reconsidering this cruise for a few reasons and may cancel it.

I'm off to Heathrow tomorrow and then a pre cruise day in Rome before our Azamara Journey cruise. I know I will have great food AND great entertainment on Journey. Those two things are quite achievable for any cruiseline you know.

Dan, I'm curious to know how you selected your sample population for your apparently authoritative and indeed dismissive of all other points of view report on what all Oceania passengers feel. Other posters have commented on their preference for a quieter cruise life without feeling the need to send other cruisers packing.

Like Lottie I have been bombarded with emails and incentives to book another cruise with O, so much so that despite deciding not to cruise this year and concentrate on land trips instead we're taking an O cruise in addition to our land trips because on a per day basis it worked out cheaper than many other (including mass market) lines.

Like it or lump it we are very much included the demographic that Oceania is marketing to. To say otherwise is wishful thinking on your part.

On Riviera in the Med in summer time we have found a very cosmopolitan crowd and the ship was much livelier in the evening than I've been used to.

It will be interesting to see what we find this year on Nautica. Judging by the information in Lynn's post Oceania is indeed listening to us. I have never previously been aware of a Happy Hour from 10.30 to 11.30pm, nor the following

"Horizons

10:30pm -11:15 dancing with Regatta Orchestra, jazz band, jive talk disco, 50's at the hop party, latin dance night, let's groove tonight dancing,salute party night

Happy hour 10:30-11:30 pm

11:30 to late dancing to the Jukester jukebox

Martinis

Piano player 11:00- midnight

name that show 1 night only out of 10"

Seems like the times they are a-changing. I do hope this doesn't mean you will have to look for another cruise line ;).

I'm not dismissive of late night entertainment, but I do admit to being skeptical that it would be a good investment, I've seen too many chins on chests at the 9PM shows.

people-sleeping-in-theatr-007.jpg

That said, If you do want to see more action at night, vote with your feet and your World Card, attend the events, swell the bar tabs, stay up until they close the place down around you!

More will follow.

Edited by StanandJim

Just off Marina prior to her dry dock.

First and foremost, we rarely attend any of the evening shows as we linger over dinner, wine and conversation. When we've attended the shows in the lounge, we think they are fine - not Broadway quality but fine.

But to the point of this thread - every night after dinner there was some sort of live music, dancing, and just plain fun taking place in Horizons. There was Happy Hour from 10:30 to 11:30 which was great for an After Dinner drink. The Asst. Cruise Director was in charge of the evening and there were usually 40+ people in attendance. He was fun, the live music changed from evening to evening and people responded by dancing.

We went a couple of times and it was great fun on a sea day, with another late-sleep-in sea day the next.

"Horizons

10:30pm -11:15 dancing with Regatta Orchestra, jazz band, jive talk disco, 50's at the hop party, latin dance night, let's groove tonight dancing,salute party night

Sella

My memory seems to recall that they have always had some dancing up in Horizons after the show or other things like Name that tune but the late night HH is new

We also had on the 2nd cruise a movie night & Pirate's deck party that unfortunately got moved indoors due to weather

Other cruises we have been on had Super bowl parties on deck & World Cup party

It may depend on the CD or other circumstances

Things are changing in the Oceania world ;)

Just off Marina prior to her dry dock.

First and foremost, we rarely attend any of the evening shows as we linger over dinner, wine and conversation. When we've attended the shows in the lounge, we think they are fine - not Broadway quality but fine.

But to the point of this thread - every night after dinner there was some sort of live music, dancing, and just plain fun taking place in Horizons. There was Happy Hour from 10:30 to 11:30 which was great for an After Dinner drink. The Asst. Cruise Director was in charge of the evening and there were usually 40+ people in attendance. He was fun, the live music changed from evening to evening and people responded by dancing.

We went a couple of times and it was great fun on a sea day, with another late-sleep-in sea day the next.

Sella

My memory seems to recall that they have always had some dancing up in Horizons after the show or other things like Name that tune but the late night HH is new

We also had on the 2nd cruise a movie night & Pirate's deck party that unfortunately got moved indoors due to weather

Other cruises we have been on had Super bowl parties on deck & World Cup party

It may depend on the CD or other circumstances

Things are changing in the Oceania world ;)

Yippee!

I'm not dismissive of late night entertainment, but I do admit to being skeptical that it would be a good investment, I've seen too many chins on chests at the 9PM shows.

people-sleeping-in-theatr-007.jpg

That said, If you do want to see more action at night, vote with your feet and your World Card, attend the events, swell the bar tabs, stay up until they close the place down around you!

More will follow.

Your always have just the right image :).

Like you, Dan, I have taken several O cruises and met many repeat and new passengers but I respect their views on what they like from a cruise line.

I have no experience with either Silverseas or Crystal so cannot comment on the experience they offer.

The majority of passengers we have met on O have been from the USA and, as the shows have always been very well attended, they must like the dinner and show situation.

Reading the recent posts, I am pleased that O is listening and is providing more in the way of 'entertainment' for those who want it. That way, everyone will be happy to either take part or not as they choose (well, maybe not everyone ;)). It seems that O is making small changes which you maybe will not like but you have a choice. I'm quite happy with these changes.

Maybe you should re-read your last paragraph.

I personally do not like West End shows as I am more of a rocker - Bon Jovi or Guns N' Roses would suit me. :D:D

Edited by Louby-Lou

Like you, Dan, I have taken several O cruises and met many repeat and new passengers but I respect their views on what they like from a cruise line.

I have no experience with either Silverseas or Crystal so cannot comment on the experience they offer.

The majority of passengers we have met on O have been from the USA and, as the shows have always been very well attended, they must like the dinner and show situation.

Reading the recent posts, I am pleased that O is listening and is providing more in the way of 'entertainment' for those who want it. That way, everyone will be happy to either take part or not as they choose (well, maybe not everyone ;)). It seems that O is making small changes which you maybe will not like but you have a choice. I'm quite happy with these changes.

Maybe you should re-read your last paragraph.

I personally do not like West End shows as I am more of a rocker - Bon Jovi or Guns N' Roses would suit me. :D:D

Lotti.... I wish you luck, and no it dosent upset me in the least that O is or rather NCL is offering some of their staff.... fine, peachy, great. Indeed some will go and others will not, content in the pleasures they have enjoyed in the past. I dont see any huge improvement or change just maybe more depth owing to the sheer physical limitations of the smaller show and entertainment venus.

I think too that some cruises like in the Med or Carribe attract a very different demographic and a cruise is a reflection of that. I do most on my cruises in the far east and Pacific and it is a very different crowd. I confess that influences my opinion and experiences. Too I like cruises of not less than 14 days preferring 21 to 30. So factor that in. with the majority of those who like the R ships of 600.

I wish you and all well, I just caution people that O is not, and I believe never will place entertainment, as a high priority. I do not see despiration in their mailings.... its how direct mail marketing works.. rather than from panic. I just wanted to let you know to be prepared to be your own entertainment and not have an unrealistic hope.... Cheers

Currently one week into my first Oceania cruise and have not felt the need to see any shows whatsoever. I stay pretty busy every day with excursions ashore or activities on board, until it is time to enjoy my well cooked and highly enjoyable dinners (none of which have taken anywhere near 3 hours) then either head back to my room to read or watch a movie, or have a drink and a lively chat in a bar with some of my fellow travellers on the ship whom I have met during the cruise.

No idea of the shows on board and far less care as these are never, on any line, important to me. Have I failed in the eyes of some posters?

If so, my apologies - I will try to care ;)

Oceania working beautifully for me so far. Also, for what it is worth, I honestly have not spoken to anyone so far, at any point during any day, who cares about seeing the shows. They seem to be in a minority to me, given my own experience here.

More Pap from the Pap Meister