Just off The Legend - and Alaska

mexicobob

Thanks for the review! We're so looking forward to this. And I have to still chuckle. When we booked this, my SIL told us "Oh, you won't like it, C (my son) will be bored, etc..." LOL! And everyone else who I told said it was on their bucket list or if they'd been, they loved it! She's the only one I ever met who didn't like it.! :rolleyes:

Alaska is off the charts, incredible, fantastic. Words can not describe the beauty. The ship you are on is to a degree irrelevant as the experience is outside.

We were in Vista Suite 6260, one of the best cabins at sea. Back of the ship with wrap around balcony. Perfect for Alaska.

The ship was in good condition. Very clean. We had no complaints about anything.

There were children on the ship but were not a problem. Some were acting as children which was enjoyed by all except for perhaps a pathetic few.

Service for us was beyond 5 star. We fly 1st class. We stay in 5 star hotels. We could not have asked for better service either in the cabin or the dining room. We were traveling with other people in 5 different cabins and they all said the same.

Food was OK. Some better than other. Not a cruise if you are looking for gourmet dining. Definitely good eating to be found though. The made to order omelets are hard to beat with never a line. I would cruise again tomorrow for the salsa they have on the side.

Bacon, grilled tomatoes and the fried potato things were great at breakfast.

The hot sandwiches were good at lunch.

Would skip the lobster at dinner. The shrimp was pretty good though. Not beef eaters but fellow diners said the prime rib was good. Probably the best thing on the dinner menu, for those that like such things, was the Indian option.

Went to two shows and one comedy show. Not our thing but impressed with the effort.

We cruise Carnival because we like the live acoustic guitar music found only on Carnival. On this cruise Andy was great. Incredible classic guitarist in the afternoon but was equally as good at night with modern music. He allowed a couple of very talented passengers perform as well.

We absolutely had a fantastic time. We were in a group of 16 and all agree.

Bring gloves, hoods, layers of jackets. It is cold outside by the glaciers. You want to stay outside as much as possible.

We saw dozens of whales, some next to the ship. Hundred's of porpoises, hundred's of bald eagles, one brown bear, one moose, dozens of mountain goats including one baby hoping around on a ledge that I was sure was fixing to fall to his death. Also many birds and creatures at sea I did not know what they were.

All in all an experience of a lifetime.

Will be very glad to answer any positive questions.

Thanks for the review but it's too cold for me.

The Legend DOES NOT have the American Table Menu at this time.

Also, for Ketchikan I would recommend the Lumberjack Show. Not too expensive and silly fun. It runs a little over an hour so still plenty of time to shop. Creek Street is an interesting venue but we were very underimpressed witht the offerings. Overpriced for sure. Go to Tongass Trading at one of it's large stores by the dock to buy better priced gifts.

Oh my goodness, does that mean the tables had... tablecloths??? ;-)

Oh my goodness, does that mean the tables had... tablecloths??? ;-)

They did. Also, the mini fridges were not emptied. That was not an issue though. Asked to have that stuff taken away. In fact every single whining complaint I have heard on this site was not seen on our cruise. I am starting to think all the complaints are either from people who have never cruised or people that refuse to be happy. I have heard that other cruise lines are better. I am not sure my heart is healthy enough for any better.

Thank you SO much for posting this! Your experience pretty much matches the one my husband and I had when we did this cruise on the Spirit in 2011 for our honeymoon, also in an aft wraparound suite.

We booked this cruise again for our five year anniversary (the July 12th cruise this year) and talked two other couples into going as well, with all of us booking aft wraparound suites. Cruise Critic members were so helpful for our first Alaskan cruise, that I again have been back on here over the last year to catch up on Carnival updates/changes and new ideas for this cruise. However, the constant bitching and negativity, both on here and on John Heald's FB page had me really bummed and wondering if we were going to enjoy it this time around. I was also starting to wonder whether our friends were going to feel like we'd led them astray in booking on Carnival. When I finally realized how jaded I was getting from listening to others, I unsubscribed from John's page and felt instant relief, then started reminding myself of the top things that made us enjoy our last cruise so much, realizing that most of them couldn't be ruined by a bunch of negative, unhappy people.

The #1 thing was the sheer beauty of Alaska... everywhere we went. CHECK! #2 was having our own huge private viewing area to enjoy that beauty when we were underway. CHECK! #3 was the Tracy Arm Fjord excursion. CHECK! #4 was the train trip from Skagway. Booked an even longer one this time, so CHECK! #5 was being able to dress up for a "fancy dinner" each night. When I saw all the posts about the American Table Menu and downgraded dining experience, I figured #5 was now off the table, so to speak. However, you said the Legend is not on the American Table Menu, so I'm thinking maybe that one's even a go!

Thank you SO much for posting this! Your experience pretty much matches the one my husband and I had when we did this cruise on the Spirit in 2011 for our honeymoon, also in an aft wraparound suite.

We booked this cruise again for our five year anniversary (the July 12th cruise this year) and talked two other couples into going as well, with all of us booking aft wraparound suites. Cruise Critic members were so helpful for our first Alaskan cruise, that I again have been back on here over the last year to catch up on Carnival updates/changes and new ideas for this cruise. However, the constant bitching and negativity, both on here and on John Heald's FB page had me really bummed and wondering if we were going to enjoy it this time around. I was also starting to wonder whether our friends were going to feel like we'd led them astray in booking on Carnival. When I finally realized how jaded I was getting from listening to others, I unsubscribed from John's page and felt instant relief, then started reminding myself of the top things that made us enjoy our last cruise so much, realizing that most of them couldn't be ruined by a bunch of negative, unhappy people.

The #1 thing was the sheer beauty of Alaska... everywhere we went. CHECK! #2 was having our own huge private viewing area to enjoy that beauty when we were underway. CHECK! #3 was the Tracy Arm Fjord excursion. CHECK! #4 was the train trip from Skagway. Booked an even longer one this time, so CHECK! #5 was being able to dress up for a "fancy dinner" each night. When I saw all the posts about the American Table Menu and downgraded dining experience, I figured #5 was now off the table, so to speak. However, you said the Legend is not on the American Table Menu, so I'm thinking maybe that one's even a go!

No American Table. Check :D If I may make a suggestion, rent a car in Skagway instead. It costs a lot less and offers much better flexibility. You get to pick your pace and stops. Just my opinion. We drove out to Emerald Lake and back. No worries about being stranded if there is car trouble. Half the ship seemed to be doing the same thing (slight exaggeration). I am certain someone would have helped. I know I would have. There is plenty of time to pause as you feel on the drive.

Edited by MaineBirdBrain

We were in Vista Suite 6260, one of the best cabins at sea. Back of the ship with wrap around balcony. Perfect for Alaska.

Fantastic room! I've stayed in this exact cabin before on The Legend...the best!

I agree with you that words can't describe Alaska's beauty! As you can see by my signature, we have been on two Alaska cruises so far, and have a third one booked for August. We just can't get enough of it.

Thanks for posting your Alaska cruise review. Alaska is amazing! Cruising is a great way to see the world!

Edited by JimAOk1945

Alaska is off the charts, incredible, fantastic. Words can not describe the beauty. The ship you are on is to a degree irrelevant as the experience is outside.

The ship was in good condition. Very clean. We had no complaints about anything.

There were children on the ship but were not a problem. Some were acting as children which was enjoyed by all except for perhaps a pathetic few.

Service for us was beyond 5 star. We fly 1st class. We stay in 5 star hotels. We could not have asked for better service either in the cabin or the dining room. We were traveling with other people in 5 different cabins and they all said the same.

Food was OK. Some better than other. Not a cruise if you are looking for gourmet dining. Definitely good eating to be found though. The made to order omelets are hard to beat with never a line. I would cruise again tomorrow for the salsa they have on the side.

Bacon, grilled tomatoes and the fried potato things were great at breakfast.

The hot sandwiches were good at lunch.

Would skip the lobster at dinner. The shrimp was pretty good though. Not beef eaters but fellow diners said the prime rib was good. Probably the best thing on the dinner menu, for those that like such things, was the Indian option.

Went to two shows and one comedy show. Not our thing but impressed with the effort.

We cruise Carnival because we like the live acoustic guitar music found only on Carnival. On this cruise Andy was great. Incredible classic guitarist in the afternoon but was equally as good at night with modern music. He allowed a couple of very talented passengers perform as well.

We absolutely had a fantastic time. We were in a group of 16 and all agree.

Bring gloves, hoods, layers of jackets. It is cold outside by the glaciers. You want to stay outside as much as possible.

We saw dozens of whales, some next to the ship. Hundred's of porpoises, hundred's of bald eagles, one brown bear, one moose, dozens of mountain goats including one baby hoping around on a ledge that I was sure was fixing to fall to his death. Also many birds and creatures at sea I did not know what they were.

All in all an experience of a lifetime.

Will be very glad to answer any positive questions.

What was embarkation like? We will be arriving on a hotel shuttle.

thank you for amping up my excitation, have never done Alaska and our newly married son and new in laws chose this cruise as something new. MY dh is dragging heels with idea but any cruise is a good cruise. Never recalling seeing an eagle or whale in naturaual habitat excited for July 26.

1.)How hard is it to meet up at embarkation pier first morning to board together? We have platinum status, and just purchased FTTF that opened up for other two families. What time did you board? or do you know what time boarding started? Their FTTF states 11am-12.

thanks for posting so far, even knowing the revised Victoria dinner times helps. hope you can scan in Fun Times. (Formerly known is Cruise Capers smile)

2.)We are signed up for the Tracy Fjord excursion- in your opinion will a layered shirt,fleece jacket and rain coat,gloves,hat,hiking boots be enough for warmth? or I can pack more...

thank you for amping up my excitation, have never done Alaska and our newly married son and new in laws chose this cruise as something new. MY dh is dragging heels with idea but any cruise is a good cruise. Never recalling seeing an eagle or whale in naturaual habitat excited for July 26.

1.)How hard is it to meet up at embarkation pier first morning to board together? We have platinum status, and just purchased FTTF that opened up for other two families. What time did you board? or do you know what time boarding started? Their FTTF states 11am-12.

thanks for posting so far, even knowing the revised Victoria dinner times helps. hope you can scan in Fun Times. (Formerly known is Cruise Capers smile)

2.)We are signed up for the Tracy Fjord excursion- in your opinion will a layered shirt,fleece jacket and rain coat,gloves,hat,hiking boots be enough for warmth? or I can pack more...

I am currently on the Legend waiting for the sail away. They started letting people on around 11:30. There seemed to be less of a crowd to get on than on Caribbean cruises. I think it is going to be cold for this Florida girl. Hope my layers will be enough.

We were on this cruise as well. With all the stuff I read on this board, I expected to endure some of it. I have no clue who these people are that complain. I have slept in Monument Valley. I have walked in Yosemite. I have hiked the White Mountains. I have seen all kinds of wonders. This cruise and especially all things Carnival surpasses them all. I texted my sister near the end of the cruise and told her, "put me in the ground, there is no topping this". We loved our cruise. Carnival was beyond perfect.

Good words.

The other 15 people in our group (all well traveled) completely agree.

What was embarkation like? We will be arriving on a hotel shuttle.

Getting on and off the ship for us involved walking on with no line and walking off with no line. Very easy. May have been lucky but others in our party only had to wait about 5 minutes.

Are there 2 formal nights? And what nights are they? So looking forward to our cruise on Aug 30th :) Thanks!

"Elegant nights" were 2 and 6, I think. On our cruise it was a pretty laid back affair.

We boarded about 11:30 but they obviously had been boarding for awhile.

I would not think it would be a hard terminal to meet up with other people. We met up with our group of 10 and we were not trying to do so.

2) depends on the weather but sounds to me you have enough clothes. The important thing for me that day was to have gloves, hood, something to break the wind. We had perfect weather but the raincoat could be necessary. The wind coming off the glacier was cold for us (chill factor maybe 40 - we are from the south)

They made margaritas out of glacier ice -on the rocks. Tasty.

Thanks. I am in the process of trying on gowns now....I wear it on the cruise and then again on New Years...but the other one I'll just pack a dress.

I did not see any one in a tuxedo or gown. Of course only saw a fraction of the crowd. And nothing wrong with being the best dressed lady on the ship.

I am currently on the Legend waiting for the sail away. They started letting people on around 11:30. There seemed to be less of a crowd to get on than on Caribbean cruises. I think it is going to be cold for this Florida girl. Hope my layers will be enough.

Have a great time! Take lots of notes for us all, Fun Times etc.

Also if you get cell coverage or is it roaming? Thanks a bunch. 42 more days for our sail away there.

P.s. Make list anything you would have needed or not needed you brought

So glad to read all of these positive comments about the Legend and Most importantly Alaska. I will admit this trip is not one I really wanted to take, but it's my daughters 21st birthday and well how many 21 year olds want to go to Alaska with their mom? I am starting to finally get excited, we sail August 6 th. Now does anyone have any tips on finding a reasonable priced, clean and safe hotel in Seattle?

So glad to read all of these positive comments about the Legend and Most importantly Alaska. I will admit this trip is not one I really wanted to take, but it's my daughters 21st birthday and well how many 21 year olds want to go to Alaska with their mom? I am starting to finally get excited, we sail August 6 th. Now does anyone have any tips on finding a reasonable priced, clean and safe hotel in Seattle?

I tried the Cruise critic board for west coast - Seattle, not too many comments. Part of our family may stay at a Comfort Inn by airport. It offers free shuttle from airport.

We are using points stay for our hotel- by airport-

Location more near downtown much higher price. Checkout tripadvisor.

Sea tac is airport area, Seattle,WA will get you downtown hotels. Plus There is always Priceline.