Arrival in Vancouver on a Sunday for 5pm departure

UOT

Hello,

We are looking at options where we fly into Bellingham, WA on Saturday. Sunday morning we can get to Vancouver by the following:

Amtrak has train 9:57am-11:45am, regular class (business sold out).

Bus shuttle 10:25-12:35pm.

Boltbus 8:30am-10:30am.

Are any of these feasible or are we crazy to try to get up there Sunday morning?

Thanks!

Since you're arriving about as close to Vancouver as you can within the USA the day before, odds are vanishingly slim there will be any problem big enough to prevent you getting over the border safely next day - but I'd be inclined to book Bolt, as the earliest option, ASAP. The train is the most civilized method - no stop at the border, see CBSA for customs & immigration at the station here in Vancouver, and even the last people off the last coach class carriage should be done in 30mins so the chance of missing your ship is still minimal.

I assume that by 'bus shuttle' you mean QUICK Shuttle? Since the only benefit of these guys is the pier/airport location, you'd be paying a hefty premium over Bolt pricing for two hours delay in arriving on a crappier bus without WiFi.

Hello,

We are looking at options where we fly into Bellingham, WA on Saturday. Sunday morning we can get to Vancouver by the following:

Amtrak has train 9:57am-11:45am, regular class (business sold out).

Bus shuttle 10:25-12:35pm.

Boltbus 8:30am-10:30am.

Are any of these feasible or are we crazy to try to get up there Sunday morning?

Thanks!

Hi there

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Last month we took the Amtrak train. We got on in Seattle so we had to get up much earlier. We arrived with plenty of time to spare. It was a nice ride.

have a great cruise

Hi there

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Last month we took the Amtrak train. We got on in Seattle so we had to get up much earlier. We arrived with plenty of time to spare. It was a nice ride.

have a great cruise

Thank you! I plan on spending a lot of time searching these forums! We are trying to avoid paying $300+ for a hotel room in Seattle and Vancouver...and air is cheaper in to Bellingham. Plus I would love to see the view from the train.

Welcome to Bellingham, the city of subdued excitement. We are Bellinghamsters and we take the Bolt bus regularly up to Canada Place for cruises. While the scenery is nothing like the train there are some advantages.

1. You get there earlier. From the bus station, cross the street and for $2.75 Canadian, you get the ticket for the skytrain which lets you off less than a block from Canada Place. (We are normally at the pier by 10:30 am)

2. You clear immigration/customs at the border, so no wait when you get off the bus. Your luggage is right there as well.

3. IF the bus breaks down, you can cab it to the pier

Only thing I do not like about the train is clearing immigration/customs. They will let the peeps off one car at a time. If you are one of the first cars, great...if you are the last, prepare for a wait.

Bolt Bus tickets run from $1 to about $20 per person. We normally never pay more than $12 for two people one way.

We now have UBER in Bellingham. Taxi's are also around. The Hampton Inn might have shuttle service.

Let me know if you have any B'ham questions. I will follow this thread.

We've done Amtrak several times between Seattle and Vancouver and Portland and Vancouver. We've also done the bus a few times. Amtrak is now the only way we get ourselves to Vancouver anymore. With the bus there is a stop at the border that can be quite long. On Amtrak the scenery is beautiful, it's relaxing, and you can get up and move around. There are sometimes some delays on the train but even if it's stopped on the tracks waiting for another train to pass by, it's still more relaxing than sitting on a bus. Amtrak gets my vote.

We've done Amtrak several times between Seattle and Vancouver and Portland and Vancouver. We've also done the bus a few times. Amtrak is now the only way we get ourselves to Vancouver anymore. With the bus there is a stop at the border that can be quite long. On Amtrak the scenery is beautiful, it's relaxing, and you can get up and move around. There are sometimes some delays on the train but even if it's stopped on the tracks waiting for another train to pass by, it's still more relaxing than sitting on a bus. Amtrak gets my vote.

idahospud--would you risk taking it the same day your ship departs? it would be a very costly mistake if we couldn't make the ship. I'm just not sure how often the train has delays!!

idahospud--would you risk taking it the same day your ship departs? it would be a very costly mistake if we couldn't make the ship. I'm just not sure how often the train has delays!!

The train has been delayed every time we have been on it, but usually no more than 30 minutes. Have you thought about taking the Saturday evening train out of Bellingham and staying the night in Vancouver instead? You won't get to see the pretty view but it will allow you to get to the Vancouver port early and avoid the mess of multiple ships in port (if that's the case on your day) checking in at the same time.

We've also been on the bus when it has been delayed. Those delays have lasted much longer than 30 minutes.

Edited by idahospud

We are trying to avoid paying $300+ for a hotel room in Seattle and Vancouver...and air is cheaper in to Bellingham. Plus I would love to see the view from the train.

You've come here for advice, and mine is to fly into Bellingham the day before and spend the evening in Vancouver. There is absolutely no way I would risk my cruise by taking transportation the day of. It doesn't have to cost $300.00, and remember, your USD is strong against our Canadian dollar at the moment. A hotel room at $200.00 CDN is approximately $155 USD.

Hope this helps. PLEASE come in the day before. :):):)

Edited by Langley Cruisers

We are going to look at all options again once we decide to buy airfare depending on what the rates look like at that time. If we stay out by the airport in Vancouver, what's the easiest way to get down to the pier? I'm sorry for asking this--I know it's on these forums somewhere but I'm running out the door to work and thought of it. I can only find $400+ hotels down by the pier.

Thanks.

Right, when you get home and settled, come to this forum; there we discuss Vancouver area hotels and what plans to make. It's all been discussed before, you just have to be patient and read the threads already running. Type "Vancouver hotels" into the Search this Forum box there, and you will get dozens of threads. :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39 <--(Western) Canada board click here