Hoonah and Icy Strait the real Alaska

jskinsd

I have visited Hoonah the past 4 cruise seasons. This is my favorite port. There is nothing to do there except zip line. This is the real Alaska. I have seen humpbacks breaching, killer whales cruisin on the bay, eagles feeding their babies in the nest, stika blacktailed deer grazing by the post office all by just walking to my favorite place the Icy Strait Lodge. While there, from there deck I have seen eagle feeding at low tide, seeing a crane crash in the mud and even a bear along the shore when it is shady. My first experience with the owners Ed and Barabara was fantastic. They have deck with a different view of the bay. We drank beer and shared stories. They are gracious host. Then this guy comes in with a bucket of crab he had pulled from his traps. Next thing you know we are having a crab feast. Now this year doing the same old thing I see more wildlife walking to the bar. Again while talking to Ed and Barbara this guy with grease on his face and a crooked baseball cap comes up to Barbara and whispers something to her and leaves. Barbara then asks me if I can help this guy pick up some crab. Now I am thinking go down to the dock and pick up some boxes of crab. But no, he wants me to help him with his crab traps. Now this mechanic is now Captain Chris. I am now on the not so much deadliest crab catch. The next thing that happens is Capt Chris take me, Barbara and Melanie (another visitor) to his boat. We are now cruising the bay towards his traps. When we reach his traps Capt Chris asks me for muscle. In the first trap we pulled up there are 14 crabs in it. He threw back two of them saying next time when you are bigger. A total of four traps and about 30 good size crabs. We then cruised the bay for another hour (saw another bear on the shore) went back and had another crab feast.

I always tell cruisers that if you have expectations you will not see anything, but if you give a place a chance you will see everything.

I always cruise Alaska for this stop only and looking forward to going back again this season.

Ed and Barbara, Thank you for my Ferris Buellar's day off.

The crazy old man.

I grew up in Hoonah. As a teen it felt like a prison. But looking back I got to see a lot of cool stuff that other people have to spend a lot of money to experience...

I may not know much about the living experience but I am aware it is I much harder life to live. And the high cost of goods you need to survive. The changing weather. Staying safe from the bears. Even getting things fixed. I love so much visiting Hooah and this place makes me appreciate and lucky I am to be able to live on easy street.

You have a much better out look on life than most of us.

This is the only place where if you just stay still, nature will come to you.

have you considered skipping the cruise and spending your time in Hoonah instead ? You could fly into Juneau then ride the ferry to Hoonah in just a few hours. Service is limited to twice a week, so you would have to schedule your time accordingly .... stay for 2 days or for 5.

Maybe use the ferry to visit a few other small communities in the SE as well.

Just something to consider since you like Hoonah so much.

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/index.shtml

have you considered skipping the cruise and spending your time in Hoonah instead ? You could fly into Juneau then ride the ferry to Hoonah in just a few hours. Service is limited to twice a week, so you would have to schedule your time accordingly .... stay for 2 days or for 5.

They can also fly by float plane from Juneau , Ketchikan or Sitka.

The great thing about visiting is you cannot see or do it all. If I did I would not want to go back again. I have probably been on over 30 Alaskan cruises. Although I have had many wonderful experiences, I am still experience new things. Flying is not an option as I am extremely afraid of flying and that just keeps me on the west coast. I am very happy to visit each year. I am not an outdoorsman. I am city and I need my walmart.

P.S. It would cost more to stay a week than to cruise for two weeks.

I always cruise Alaska for this stop only and looking forward to going back again this season.

Ed and Barbara, Thank you for my Ferris Buellar's day off.

The crazy old man.

You sound like an interesting, outgoing person. I have this "Alaskan gift" in every Alaska port. :) Such treasured friends that I value highly. Every trip, I engage with more, chance conversations that are so unique and - you said it- REAL. (I don't get that much in NY :) )

So expand your horizons, and consider acquiring more Alaska experiences, in all the ports. You sound perfect for the challenge!!

You sound like an interesting, outgoing person. I have this "Alaskan gift" in every Alaska port. :) Such treasured friends that I value highly. Every trip, I engage with more, chance conversations that are so unique and - you said it- REAL. (I don't get that much in NY :) )

So expand your horizons, and consider acquiring more Alaska experiences, in all the ports. You sound perfect for the challenge!!

I so much value your response. I have learned so much from you. Even on my most recent b2b on the Sun, I experienced so many wonderful things. I saw wildlife everyday of my cruise (except Vancouver). I still get excited over water spouts. At least I know they are out there and just maybe...I was lucky enough to go through the Johnstone Strait in daylight both trips. A first for me. I have seen so much wildlife in so many different places. And that is just off the cruise ship.

Thank you for your wisdom. You are my hero

The crazy old man

I even think I cruised with you on the NCL Sun last May. I think it was there first northbound cruise of that season. I too have the luxury of cruising at the last minute for the best possible price.

I even think I cruised with you on the NCL Sun last May. I think it was there first northbound cruise of that season. I too have the luxury of cruising at the last minute for the best possible price.

My mistake. It was two years ago, on the Sun northbound to Whittier.