Norwegian Jade Mediterranean Passports?

I would carry them.

It's up to you if you do this but you mist be able to identify yourself at any time/moment in any country (and only an official ID is allowed and that's passport or European ID card).

Then if you (let's hope not) end up missing the ship for whatever reason you have to have your passport to get out of that country back home....

I would carry them.

It's up to you if you do this but you mist be able to identify yourself at any time/moment in any country (and only an official ID is allowed and that's passport or European ID card).

Then if you (let's hope not) end up missing the ship for whatever reason you have to have your passport to get out of that country back home....

I think the OP is looking for official requirements, not advice.

To the OP: I see you listed your ports on the other thread but I'll answer here as none of them are in Italy (;)).

Greece does not require you to carry your passport ashore, and most of your ports are Greek.

As for Croatia, I'm not sure. Some posters from a couple of years ago were reporting that they were told they needed to carry passports with them in Dubrovnik, primarily for identification when returning to the port. However, I don't know if this is still the case.

Whatever the requirements are, your cruise line will certainly let you know -- in port lectures, in daily TV announcements and also in the printed dailies -- whether a specific port requires you to carry your passport with you.

Edited by cruisemom42

Nowhere apart from Russia , needs you to carry passports in Europe. A photocopy of the details page can be carried. However Greece, Croatia are EU countries and do not require these. Leave in your cabin, all you can do is lose, misplace, or have them stolen.

I think the OP is looking for official requirements, not advice.

My advice was based on official requirements.

So in my opinion my post was very related.

By law: in the EU you have to carry your ID with you at ALL times. You must be able to identify yourself at any time, any point.

If you don't carry your ID then you can be arrested (again by law). The chance that you get asked for your ID is very slim (unless you do something prohibited) and the chance that you get arrested even slimmer because most of the time they let you go with a slap in the fingers or otherwise a fine.

Nowhere apart from Russia , needs you to carry passports in Europe. A photocopy of the details page can be carried.

A Photocopy isn't enough if your asked for your ID by law officers.

There are 2 things here:

One: What does the cruise ship wants you to carry plus what's needed to get back into the port and onboard.

Second: What is the law in the countries you visit.

There is no EU law to carry passports at all times. As UK citizens we have stayed in Belgium and crossed into France and Luxembourg without them with us. In the shengen area you do not need, unless you are hiring a car and need ID they will not be used. The only way you may need them is if you intend to do some shoplifting, or smoke / inhale some dodge substances.

This is urban myth, and as said earlier can only result in theft of them, which will mean no flights home. On Regent it's not even an option to carry as the purser has them for immigration formalities at the port .

If arrested ( likely to be your own fault) and had your ships card, they would get from the ship all the documentation needed.

This is legal advice from the EU, it may not apply in Algeria, Tunisia, Syria or Russia, but will in all other likely destinations in the Mediterranean/ Black sea. area.

We have docked in many unusual countries like Georgia, Albania, Ecuador, it is not the case in any of these.

Carry less and enjoy, I have seen Americans carry passports in London- totally stupid.

Your driving licence also counts as ID if you live in the UK.

I have made credit card sized coloured copies of the photo page in our passport and laminated them so they are easy to carry in my purse. Then all our details are handy and we can use as ID if needed.

Once in Europe there are no borders so no one checks your passport on or off the ship

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from a Med cruise which included Greece and Croatia. Seabourn collected our passports the day we boarded and kept them until the day before we disembarked. In the past when we have been required to carry them ashore (for some reason they made a big deal of this two years ago in France) they have made a point of informing us of this requirement and made the passports available for collection.

We have Traveled extensively in Italy, both on our own with organised trips, and off of cruise ships. We have driven hire cars, you do not have to have a passport with you!!

In Rome, Verona, Venice you would be well advised not to have on you, as all that could happen is its loss or it being stolen. Aquilega this is a myth, as Brits a photo id on a driving licence is enough.

No company, cruise line has ever given that advice, including Tauck, Regent, Noble Caledonian, citalia, Alitalia travel. This may be an obscure rule, but it is not acted upon and is not a requirement, travel light leave passports for exit/ entry to a country only.

Lets get back to this thread, cruise critic, when you join most lines passports are handed in and remain with the purser for the duration, to enable port formalities to occur, you do not get back until the end of the cruise, so all disembarking passengers would be at risk of arrest! Get real, if this was the case the cruise lines will hand back passports, they do not!!

So it's an urban myth, shengen agreements apply that you do not even need to cross into Italy from Austria, France or Slovenia. We went on a boat trip up lake maggiore to Switzerland from Stress Italy, we took passports as it was out of the EU, we never got them out.

Leave safely in a hotel safe or with the purser on a cruise and enjoy Italy.

From a recent practical experience of 21 days on the Royal Princess, 16 ports including 6 in Italy. I only took my passport once, in Barcelona because princess implied we would need it as we were coming in with new passengers also boarding at the same time. Never asked there and never asked elsewhere. Not as a legal document but simply as a way to remember numbers and dates I carry copies of the front page while in port. Have never used them but took 10 seconds to make on my copier.

Nowhere apart from Russia , needs you to carry passports in Europe./QUOTE]

That is incorrect. You are required to carry them in Italy. However, as the OP isn't going there it won't affect her.

If passports are required in Italy, it is a requirement honored more in the breach. In more than 20 visits to Italy and seven Med cruises with stops there, no one has ever suggested -- at any hotel, on any cruise ship, or in any guidebook -- that carrying my passport was a requirement.