Surprise Cruise- keeping the secret for 13 months

FLArmyWife

I'm so happy this worked out for you! I finished college in December and my husband sent me and a friend on a cruise after I had done my national boards in February (he had to work). It was a great way to relax after all that work.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

How wonderful. I'm glad you had a good time

Yay!!! Does he know you are traveling to Fort Lauderdale? Maybe that would be enough info to keep him happy[emoji16]and the cruise would be the big "reveal"[emoji924]

no he doesn't know anything other than he has a "big" gift that cannot be "moved" if we have to move due to a new job (he was asking if it was too big like a car or boat or something lol.. he truly has no idea). I still need to work out how we are getting to FLL

I just looked it up. It is a 4 1/2hr drive from home to the port.. So if we get up the morning of the 12th, head to my in-laws (they live on the way) and then leave our vehicle at their house and have one of them drive us to the port area. We can cab/uber/lyft or possibly even shuttle over to the port then the morning of the 13th.

I just looked it up. It is a 4 1/2hr drive from home to the port.. So if we get up the morning of the 12th, head to my in-laws (they live on the way) and then leave our vehicle at their house and have one of them drive us to the port area. We can cab/uber/lyft or possibly even shuttle over to the port then the morning of the 13th.

Or if you're staying at a hotel they may offer a free shuttle to the port. Unless it was changed recently, I had heard either uber or lyfts are unable to go to the cruise port. I would try to stay at a park and go hotel with a shuttle so that you don't have to worry about transportation, and also so when you get off the cruise you aren't immediately met with in laws. (Not that in laws are bad, but after you have a relaxing vacation away from everything, you will want a few minutes of transitioning back to the real world just the two of you.)

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

well I just found there is a $40 flight there early in the morning on the 13th.. and then we could shuttle over to the port and still be there at like 10! (flight lands at 9:15am) I know they won't let you start checking-in but it'd be nice to be there ready to go.

idk still gonna wait and see

well I just found there is a $40 flight there early in the morning on the 13th.. and then we could shuttle over to the port and still be there at like 10! (flight lands at 9:15am) I know they won't let you start checking-in but it'd be nice to be there ready to go.

idk still gonna wait and see

[emoji106]🏻[emoji106]🏻[emoji106]🏻

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

well hubs found out he didn't get into the program he applied for so on to our backup plans

He is going to apply to 2 or 3 different jobs in his field

He is also talking with the veteran's affairs office as they said they may be able to get a memorandum to allow him to keep taking classes at his current institution without being degree seeking.

Either way it's been a rough few days in our house. It's really weighing hard on him. I am more and more firm in my belief regardless what our next steps will be, this cruise will be a much needed escape/break.

So looking over deck plans last night I realized I don't know how you know where to dine...

On Disney they assign a dining room rotation (or you can obviously eat at other restaurants NOT part of the rotating ones).

NCL I don't remember but I think they had rotating dining too?

Is there 1 dining area to eat in every night for the 'timed' eating or you can eat at the other places (the steakhouse, the bar, the buffet, etc).

I guess I'm just confused because I had seen a black pearl dining and a gold pearl dining and just trying to figure out how we learn where to eat..

Your sail and sign card will have your dining time and location printed on it. It does not rotate. If you prefer you can go to Guy's, the steakhouse ($), the pub ($), or the lido buffet instead. Guy's closes early and Blue Iguana Cantina closes after lunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you dine at the Steakhouse the first night, you get a bottle of red or white free. I've heard another option instead of the free bottle is that you can buy a bottle of "better" wine for half price. You can make reservations for the Steakhouse through Manage My Cruise on Carnival's website.

Your sail and sign card will have your dining time and location printed on it. It does not rotate. If you prefer you can go to Guy's, the steakhouse ($), the pub ($), or the lido buffet instead. Guy's closes early and Blue Iguana Cantina closes after lunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you!

If you dine at the Steakhouse the first night, you get a bottle of red or white free. I've heard another option instead of the free bottle is that you can buy a bottle of "better" wine for half price. You can make reservations for the Steakhouse through Manage My Cruise on Carnival's website.

Good to know, though not sure the steakhouse is going to be in the budget, I'll keep it in mind

There's usually two dining rooms on the ship. One is specified for people who choose a dining time (late or early) and the other for your time dining. Whichever dining time you choose will determine where you eat, and it'll be printing on your s&s card, as another poster mentioned.

Idk if you're aware or not but if you choose a specified dining time you will likely be placed with other people at your table. It can be fun to get to know other cruisers but if you'd like the privacy of a table for two it may be better for you to choose your time dining.

There are other places to eat on the ship like buffets, bars, guys, etc., but for the formal dining that's how you'll know where to go and when. And when you arrive you'll tell them your room number and they'll get you seated. (:

There's usually two dining rooms on the ship. One is specified for people who choose a dining time (late or early) and the other for your time dining. Whichever dining time you choose will determine where you eat, and it'll be printing on your s&s card, as another poster mentioned.

Idk if you're aware or not but if you choose a specified dining time you will likely be placed with other people at your table. It can be fun to get to know other cruisers but if you'd like the privacy of a table for two it may be better for you to choose your time dining.

There are other places to eat on the ship like buffets, bars, guys, etc., but for the formal dining that's how you'll know where to go and when. And when you arrive you'll tell them your room number and they'll get you seated. (:

Thank you.

Yes I assumed there was a possibility of being seated with others. We have had this before on both Disney and NCL. The funny part is on NCL the other couple NEVER showed up the entire cruise and on Disney they only showed up once. So we are ok with it either way. As you said if we opt to not eat in the dining room there are other options.

no. That is WAY over budget. We don't spend a ton of time in the room.

I only did a balcony room because I'm very claustrophobic and it helps to ease my anxiety disorder. I've done an inside stateroom before and just.. no.. no no no lol..

But it was nice to get the call and know it exists

So soda question... do the soda HAVE to all be the same? I know it reads a 12pk.. but can I divide it up and bring 6 pepsi and 6 ginger ale?

Yes you can. We bring on 3 kinds of soda for husband and I. 3 different 6 pks. Dr Pepper, coke and orange.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks... other random question about aerosols... I know they don't like them because they're flammable usually but what about spray deodorant? if it's in your carry-on will they allow it?

in other news yesterday marked 60 days exactly from the reveal date and... my sister blew it :( I guess my mom hadn't explained it was a surprise so while hubs was sitting at the table with us she said "So while mom is watching the baby while you're on the cruise"... My death stare got her to stop quickly in which she tried to save it but it was a horrible save and I just knew he had caught on.

Later during running errands we were in the car and had the following conversation:

Me: I need you to be honest.. how much did you hear of what S said?

DH: A good amount.. something about watching the baby and a cruise.. the cruise.. something like that

Me: (deep breath moment of silence then) how much do you want to know

DH: as little as possible. If this is the surprise you've been working hard on I don't want to know.

Thankfully at that moment my mom called so I answered the phone and got us off the subject so I didn't have to explain if it was part of the surprise or not.

But I definitely feel so deflated about the entire thing now. His birthday is in July and I'm really thinking I'm just going to tell him then as a joint birthday/graduation gift. I wanted to, still want to, cry. I worked SO hard on keeping it secret all this time and got SO close.

oh no So glad he handled it so well! He is still letting you surprise him.Does not know where or when he is going so you can still surprise him with that.I think it is still going to be fun even if he hints where he is going you can tease him or draw him off with strange replies. You still got the big surprise coming where he is going.