Surprise Cruise- keeping the secret for 13 months

FLArmyWife

If I found out my DH was planning a surprise cruise, even if it was no longer a surprise, I would be sooooooooooooooo excited and it would be fun to try to guess where/how long/when. This surprise is NOT ruined!

You could purposely drop hints for different places to throw him off.

lol. She is a 23 year old full time grad student who only works during the summer. She didn't know it was a surprise so it's ok because when I gave her a certain look she stopped in her tracks and did her best to recover/change it up.

My wife, son, and I were going on a cruise a few months before her 40th birthday. She knew we were going on a cruise, but what she didn't know is that I had planned for a number of our friends and family to join us on board as a surprise. We ended up with a group of about 18 people. I planned for them to all meet in one of the lounges on board before muster. Then we walked around the ship before muster with our son (who was 3 at the time). We came around a corner and they were all there with a happy 39 2/3 birthday sign. I also planned a party for everyone with food and an open bar in one of the lounges on a sea day. (A really good deal, actually.)

In any event, we had my boss over for dinner about 2 weeks before the cruise. She said something about having a big group going with us. I could have killed her. I definitely would have kicked her under the table if I could have reached her. I kept glaring at her, and she just kept going on and on and on, about how she thought we had a big group going. I kept saying no, no, no. Fortunately, my wife and I have discussed doing that the year before, but didn't do it. So, I used that as cover and kept insisting she was mixing up the stories. Fortunately, my wife bought my explanation and had completely forgotten about it by the time we got on board and had a big group with us.

Whether your hubby knows or not, it's going to be a great time. I'm sure he'll appreciate your effort.

My wife, son, and I were going on a cruise a few months before her 40th birthday. She knew we were going on a cruise, but what she didn't know is that I had planned for a number of our friends and family to join us on board as a surprise. We ended up with a group of about 18 people. I planned for them to all meet in one of the lounges on board before muster. Then we walked around the ship before muster with our son (who was 3 at the time). We came around a corner and they were all there with a happy 39 2/3 birthday sign. I also planned a party for everyone with food and an open bar in one of the lounges on a sea day. (A really good deal, actually.)

In any event, we had my boss over for dinner about 2 weeks before the cruise. She said something about having a big group going with us. I could have killed her. I definitely would have kicked her under the table if I could have reached her. I kept glaring at her, and she just kept going on and on and on, about how she thought we had a big group going. I kept saying no, no, no. Fortunately, my wife and I have discussed doing that the year before, but didn't do it. So, I used that as cover and kept insisting she was mixing up the stories. Fortunately, my wife bought my explanation and had completely forgotten about it by the time we got on board and had a big group with us.

Whether your hubby knows or not, it's going to be a great time. I'm sure he'll appreciate your effort.

Thank you

How fun! But man oh man I can't believe your boss didn't get the hint.

So pretty sure hubs has forgotten about mention of a cruise. I threw him off by talking to him about a possible trip at the end of the year (to celebrate our anniversary and our son's birthday [early]) to an all inclusive resort possibly in Jamaica. He has been looking up flights, hotels, etc lol which definitely helps keep him from prying into more info about the aforementioned cruise.

as for the cruise... gosh I'm ready for it to get here. It's pretty much set in stone that we WILL be moving at the end of August which means this will be an even bigger MUCH needed break between his intense program and our next step. Can time speed up until right before then and then crawl by during the cruise? if only...

Going to the beach this coming weekend and hoping to work on a base tan to help me be less likely to be fried on the cruise.

I am hispanic, so usually I tan really well, but right after high school I had a bad burn (sun poisoning and all) and so for the last 10 years I have burnt a little easier than I used to.

Going to the beach this coming weekend and hoping to work on a base tan to help me be less likely to be fried on the cruise.

I am hispanic, so usually I tan really well, but right after high school I had a bad burn (sun poisoning and all) and so for the last 10 years I have burnt a little easier than I used to.

Perfect plan!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Actually I was kind of glad to read that your husband knows you are going on a cruise. I was afraid that if a cruise was a total surprise that he may have said you couldn't afford it or have other reasons. Now that you know he is interested in the cruise, you can still keep the details a surprise....ship, destination, length of cruise etc.

elruth- well he has no idea when the cruise would be because we have been talking about taking our toddler once he reaches a certain age. Also, there is so much going on right now between him finishing up this current semester, getting things set up to attend a new school, and moving, I feel like he has definitely forgotten all about it.

I too am keeping our cruise on the Fascination over Thanksgiving a family secret. I paid our TA $$ here and there as I had it starting in January of 2016. Cruise was paid in full in eleven months with $$ from Ebay sales. I am working on paying for excursions directly with the different port vendors. So far, I have paid for Bernards in St Marteen, Brenda's Fun Tours in St Thomas, and Thenford Grey in St Kiits. It has not been easy getting them to understand that the way I am doing this is to keep the secret but also as the cruise is a 5 port cruise and no way will I carry that much cash (11 people), but also that the extra credit card charge is expensive as well as a great way for unscrupulous vendors to charge your credit cards more later and they may also pass the numbers to someone else. Happened to me on a cruise in 2005. Still trying to find someone in Barbados ( The Boatyard) and St Lucia.

I too am keeping our cruise on the Fascination over Thanksgiving a family secret. I paid our TA $$ here and there as I had it starting in January of 2016. Cruise was paid in full in eleven months with $$ from Ebay sales. I am working on paying for excursions directly with the different port vendors. So far, I have paid for Bernards in St Marteen, Brenda's Fun Tours in St Thomas, and Thenford Grey in St Kiits. It has not been easy getting them to understand that the way I am doing this is to keep the secret but also as the cruise is a 5 port cruise and no way will I carry that much cash (11 people), but also that the extra credit card charge is expensive as well as a great way for unscrupulous vendors to charge your credit cards more later and they may also pass the numbers to someone else. Happened to me on a cruise in 2005. Still trying to find someone in Barbados ( The Boatyard) and St Lucia.

How fun! I have been to St Thomas and St Maarten twice. If you have time in St Thomas I recommend the tour of blackbeard's castle. http://www.blackbeardscastle.com

We did one that involved the rum tasting (my DH loves rum) and had a lot of fun.

Hope you are able to get all your vendors worked out and don't have your CC # passed on! How terrible!

I just read through this long thread, and I'm so excited for you! I love planning surprises but do not appreciate it the other way around. It works for us since I'm very type A and plan every detail that I can and probably wouldn't appreciate giving up that control. :cool:

Our cruise next year on MSC is a surprise for both my dh and kids. I'll have to let dh know about three months beforehand so he can take off work. He always appreciates the surprises but is perplexed at how I can pay for it without him knowing. Its easy to do when you pay a little each month for over a year. ;)

It would be fun if you took a video of the moment you let your dh know!

I just read through this long thread, and I'm so excited for you! I love planning surprises but do not appreciate it the other way around. It works for us since I'm very type A and plan every detail that I can and probably wouldn't appreciate giving up that control. :cool:

Our cruise next year on MSC is a surprise for both my dh and kids. I'll have to let dh know about three months beforehand so he can take off work. He always appreciates the surprises but is perplexed at how I can pay for it without him knowing. Its easy to do when you pay a little each month for over a year. ;)

It would be fun if you took a video of the moment you let your dh know!

I am very much the same. I do not enjoy not having control and it actually causes my anxiety disorder to kick into overdrive. My poor dh, family, and in-laws. It means for birthdays/holidays almost 98% of gifts I end up knowing ahead of time because I start to get completely distressed.

Oh how fun! I agree. My dh is going to wonder how in the world I managed to pay it. Thankfully there is 1 bank account he doesn't have a log-in for as all it is usually for is so we can have checks just in case, so he will be very shocked.

I do hope to take a video. I video everything lol.

I just read this entire thread, and I am so excited for you. I sail the day after you on what was supposed to be a surprise Sweet Sixteen cruise for just my daughter and I (we actually leave on her birthday). I booked it last August and I was so proud of myself for keeping it a secret until I let it slip 7 weeks out. As disappointed I was to have the secret out, I quickly got over it seeing how excited she is. She's read about our ports, and was able to give input on excursions. We've had so much fun planning and shopping that it's actually making the time go faster. Happy sailing to you and your husband :cool:

I just read this entire thread, and I am so excited for you. I sail the day after you on what was supposed to be a surprise Sweet Sixteen cruise for just my daughter and I (we actually leave on her birthday). I booked it last August and I was so proud of myself for keeping it a secret until I let it slip 7 weeks out. As disappointed I was to have the secret out, I quickly got over it seeing how excited she is. She's read about our ports, and was able to give input on excursions. We've had so much fun planning and shopping that it's actually making the time go faster. Happy sailing to you and your husband :cool:

How awesome! I think keeping it secret even until 7 weeks out is amazing. How fun!

Part of me does wonder if telling him early and having him help plan things would help, but I've kinda got myself in this "nope, I decided to wait and I am gonna stick with it!" mindset

Thank you and happy sailing to you and your daughter as well.

First....My thanks to your husband for his service and thanks to you for your service to him. As a veteran, myself, I understand the sacrifices that you both have made.

Second...I am so happy that it all seems to be falling into place and that you've managed to keep this incredible secret. I booked a surprise cruise for DW a few years ago. I booked about a year out, even talked with her manager at work to secure the time off she would need. But I am a weak man ;p and didn't make it very long before I broke and told her about it. In my defense, I had bought her a few summer dresses for the cruise online and she found the package at the door before I did (she was home from work sick) and was very curious about why I had bought them. Regardless - It was still a great surprise and an amazing cruise. I am sure your cruise will be an amazing and much needed get away and well worth the sacrifices you made to get here.

On a side note.. I read that you coupon to help cut costs around the house - have you tried some of the rebate apps? I use these in conjunction with coupons to help cover the costs of our cruises. Personally, I use Ibotta, Checkout 51, and SavingStar. I have also recently started using the app EasyShift to help bring a little extra $$$ also. If you haven't already, check these out. If they help, you're welcome. If they don't, It was worth a try.