Surprise Cruise- keeping the secret for 13 months

FLArmyWife

First....My thanks to your husband for his service and thanks to you for your service to him. As a veteran, myself, I understand the sacrifices that you both have made.

Thank you for your service as well

Second...I am so happy that it all seems to be falling into place and that you've managed to keep this incredible secret. I booked a surprise cruise for DW a few years ago. I booked about a year out, even talked with her manager at work to secure the time off she would need. But I am a weak man ;p and didn't make it very long before I broke and told her about it. In my defense, I had bought her a few summer dresses for the cruise online and she found the package at the door before I did (she was home from work sick) and was very curious about why I had bought them. Regardless - It was still a great surprise and an amazing cruise. I am sure your cruise will be an amazing and much needed get away and well worth the sacrifices you made to get here.

I am sure she still loved the idea of you wanting it to be a surprise. Glad it was amazing and thank you. I do hope it is a much needed getaway.

On a side note.. I read that you coupon to help cut costs around the house - have you tried some of the rebate apps? I use these in conjunction with coupons to help cover the costs of our cruises. Personally, I use Ibotta, Checkout 51, and SavingStar. I have also recently started using the app EasyShift to help bring a little extra $$$ also. If you haven't already, check these out. If they help, you're welcome. If they don't, It was worth a try.

I do have Ibotta which I just recently started using. I have never heard of checkout51 or savingstar though so I will definitely look into those.

I do use a site called Swagbucks where I can print grocery coupons. I save the $$ the coupon gives but I also get 10 points for every coupon I redeem. I also do things like answer surveys, watch videos, etc. I use the points for paypal money which pays for Christmas. Currently I'm sitting at almost $400 to go towards Christmas. My husband has an account and we use the points he gets to redeem for money towards gas.

• 2 weeks later...

oh boy oh boy. only 2 weeks to go!!! It of course gets increasingly harder to keep the secret the closer we get. I've been working on getting together some last minute stuff (travel size toiletry/toiletry holders, powdered non dairy creamer, etc). While hubs is at school I've even started to put together everything for the big reveal.

On Thursday I printed out all of our cruise documents. SOOOO crazy that it's almost here

Wow, I don't know how you can do it! My wife already has knows that I ordered her surprises from the fun-shops, including cotton candy on the first night, and sea salt dark chocolate. Have you thought about contacting John Heald on facebook? I have heard that he likes to do special things for folks and your story is definitely amazing!

Wow, I don't know how you can do it! My wife already has knows that I ordered her surprises from the fun-shops, including cotton candy on the first night, and sea salt dark chocolate. Have you thought about contacting John Heald on facebook? I have heard that he likes to do special things for folks and your story is definitely amazing!

I have. The problem with that is it's not a private message, it's public on his page, and therefore I run the risk of him seeing it or someone else on our mutual friend list seeing it and saying something. I wish there was a private way to do it or I definitely would.

I just read your entire story and am amazed that you have managed until just 2 weeks out and have not told your DH about the trip. That's amazing! I'm so glad that your financial situation cleared up and you were able to make it happen. Given the fact that you said you need to move again the end of the month, you've got a lot on your plate.

And please thank your husband for his service as well. My niece is currently dating a wonderful young man, helicopter pilot in the Marines. I know that when his service comes to an end, he'll be utilizing the GI bill to get some additional schooling to move on to a new career. They live in SoCal, so it's incredibly expensive out there.

Looking forward to hearing about the unveiling of the surprise in later posts. Have a wonderful trip.

I just read your entire story and am amazed that you have managed until just 2 weeks out and have not told your DH about the trip. That's amazing! Thank you. it is definitely getting more and more difficult with each passing day. I think it was easy early on because up until final payment it was still up in the air.

I'm so glad that your financial situation cleared up and you were able to make it happen. Given the fact that you said you need to move again the end of the month, you've got a lot on your plate.

yes we are moving again and finances are always a crazy revolving door but as long as bills are paid I'd rather have memories than items. We come back the 19th and the 21st my hubs and the baby will move. super crazy!

And please thank your husband for his service as well. My niece is currently dating a wonderful young man, helicopter pilot in the Marines. I know that when his service comes to an end, he'll be utilizing the GI bill to get some additional schooling to move on to a new career. They live in SoCal, so it's incredibly expensive out there.

Thank you. yes schooling is terribly expensive. It is sad that it costs so much to get a decent education but I am so happy the military has found a way to help it's service members further their education after their service OR the option to fund the education of their child(ren)

Looking forward to hearing about the unveiling of the surprise in later posts. Have a wonderful trip.

Thank you. I imagine the video will be posted either Friday night or Saturday morning of next week. :o

I have. The problem with that is it's not a private message, it's public on his page, and therefore I run the risk of him seeing it or someone else on our mutual friend list seeing it and saying something. I wish there was a private way to do it or I definitely would.

You might try the day before when he is about to find out anyway, or if he is pretty much "on top of everything" in facebook, maybe have a friend who isn't on your husband's list contact JH with the information. Yours is just amazing of a story not to act on!:cool:

You might try the day before when he is about to find out anyway, or if he is pretty much "on top of everything" in facebook, maybe have a friend who isn't on your husband's list contact JH with the information. Yours is just amazing of a story not to act on!:cool:

I may try the friend approach.

Looking forward to the video!

(y)

quick update on the John Heald thing..

I was reading on his page just a moment ago that he is about to go on vacation for a week or so.. which means at best he'll be home right before we leave. The person that was responding to people's 'stories' and requests was saying that the request should be made ONE day before sailing.. so I'll try to post on the 12th but will go into it fully knowing he may still be on vacation

Armywife, You've just GOT to come back and tell us how he reacted to the surprise, and how the cruise went. So many say they will come back, then never do.

Your story is amazing, and we all want to know how it turns out. So please post after.:)

GranysT, I definitely have every intention.

That being said, it may be delayed until September once we have officially moved. Certainly I will try to post at least SOME info about it before that but with moving and such I do just want to warn that it could possibly not be until September. Which I apologize in advance

Armywife, Less than a week for you now. I know each day must seem like it's dragging. Keeping my fingers crossed, for a smooth sailing cruise for you.:)

I have one coming up 24 Sept. Sure hope no storms pop up for us either.