Surprise Cruise- keeping the secret for 13 months

FLArmyWife

When is final payment or are you already past it? What's the total amount due and maybe you could take that number, divide by three (3 months) then see if it's attainable. Something we do is cook stuff out of the freezer, pantry whatever. Just don't buy groceries and there is some extra $$$. Hope it works out for you!

Final payment is due next Tuesday. the total amount due is pretty much the entire thing because I booked during an early saver which meant only half of the deposit was due

Maybe if you don't have room on a credit card, someone else close to you does. They can pay it off and you make payments (covering interest) to them. I know how disappointing it is to cancel a cruise (I cancelled my May cruise[emoji17] due to scheduling) but if you have to cancel, talk to Carnival about booking a future cruise before Final payment using your deposit. I did[emoji16]!

All day I've been crunching numbers.. constantly stopping in the middle of playing with my toddler and thinking 'well, what it I do X'. I am at a 90% sure I can make this happen, but I have a few things I'm waiting to see what happens (ie what our utility bill next month will be since it's been so ungodly hot here and the air runs constantly even set at 82).

With each passing day I also am finding it harder and harder to keep the secret. I just want to scream it out already!

I don't want to be the only one that says maybe you need to reconsider, but I guess I am. Of course we don't know how much your cruise is and we certainly don't know how financially strapped you are at present, and what the cruise cost will do to the situation either, only you know that. Is there a possibility that your husband would be upset at you making a tough situation worse without his input to the problem?

If getting a new job is going to happen when school is over, will other large expenses come up then? Moving again, housing, etc? Do you think as a graduation present you could let him know you will celebrate his first annual leave or something like that instead? It could still be a graduation present.

And if you decide to still do the cruise, just enjoy it. Skip the massage, don't worry about excursions, certainly don't waste money on specialty dinners, etc., keep a handle on the costs so you don't both end up regretting the situation later. Just my 2 cents worth.

I don't want to be the only one that says maybe you need to reconsider, but I guess I am. Of course we don't know how much your cruise is and we certainly don't know how financially strapped you are at present, and what the cruise cost will do to the situation either, only you know that. Is there a possibility that your husband would be upset at you making a tough situation worse without his input to the problem?

If getting a new job is going to happen when school is over, will other large expenses come up then? Moving again, housing, etc? Do you think as a graduation present you could let him know you will celebrate his first annual leave or something like that instead? It could still be a graduation present.

And if you decide to still do the cruise, just enjoy it. Skip the massage, don't worry about excursions, certainly don't waste money on specialty dinners, etc., keep a handle on the costs so you don't both end up regretting the situation later. Just my 2 cents worth.

Thumbs up for this post. When one can't afford to feed one's child or meet other living expenses without public assistance, the expense of a cruise is definitely something that shouldn't be added to the balance sheet.

Thank you. I like when people are real and upfront

I just typed up a long reply to your message only for my internet to crash and erased it. :loudcry:

The jist of it was that I in no way would make it where we would be in a financial situation of NOT being able to make minimum payments for bills, just means it'll be a lot of pasta, pb&J sandwiches, and cereal instead or me making shepherd's pie, lasagna, etc. Also means hubs would go without his daily gatorade to take to school and such. Small things cut can go a long way.

as for after graduation that is one of the things I'm waiting on hearing about. He applied to another school program so if he gets in then we are staying put for a while but if he doesn't then we'll have to have him figure out if he wants to look for a job elsewhere or try for a small tech school and us stay put. Part of why I didn't pay the cruise off a while back was because I was hoping we would know if he got accepted or not before final payment is due.

Thumbs up for this post. When one can't afford to feed one's child or meet other living expenses without public assistance, the expense of a cruise is definitely something that shouldn't be added to the balance sheet.

Thank you for pointing out that those who are struggling after protecting their country don't deserve to do something nice with money they've saved up for over a year

The jist of it was that I in no way would make it where we would be in a financial situation of NOT being able to make minimum payments for bills, just means it'll be a lot of pasta, pb&J sandwiches, and cereal instead or me making shepherd's pie, lasagna, etc. Also means hubs would go without his daily gatorade to take to school and such. Small things cut can go a long way.

as for after graduation that is one of the things I'm waiting on hearing about. He applied to another school program so if he gets in then we are staying put for a while but if he doesn't then we'll have to have him figure out if he wants to look for a job elsewhere or try for a small tech school and us stay put. Part of why I didn't pay the cruise off a while back was because I was hoping we would know if he got accepted or not before final payment is due.

I think the more you explain to us, the more you need to bring your husband into this decision. The surprise idea is wonderful, but unless you know how your husband will react 100%, no 1000%, I would not risk it.

I'll throw out one more thing - you won't like it, many others won't either, but as a stay at home Mom with family in the area, and with this idea to spend money on a cruise (not a necessary living expense), I would have found a part time job at least.

2 of my 3 sons served in the military, one still is. So I understand the sacrifices. All 3 started going to daycare also at 8 weeks old, continued until school age, and have lived to tell about. :halo: We were a 2 working person family and I know tons, at least in my age bracket, that have done the same. Sacrifices are one thing but everyone needs to make the choices that work within their buget and try to help themselves as much as possible too.

Maybe talk to your parents again and in-laws and just see what they really think also. We are all strangers and I feel you need better advice on this. I feel for you and not trying to be hard, just realistic.

If you did decide to get your hubby's opinion- I still think having this a secret for so long is amazing and he will be so happy to know you've been planning a trip just to make him happy.

So, whether you decide to figure it out on your own, or let him in on it early, I still think you should be totally pleased and proud of yourself.

And about the second job thing- I personally see both sides. If I were to guess, I would assume you and your husband have talked about the option of you working before and decided on something that fit your lifestyle. I also know the benefits of a second income. Whatever you decide to do- I hope you have a great time celebrating his graduation!(:

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

I think the more you explain to us, the more you need to bring your husband into this decision. The surprise idea is wonderful, but unless you know how your husband will react 100%, no 1000%, I would not risk it.

I'll throw out one more thing - you won't like it, many others won't either, but as a stay at home Mom with family in the area, and with this idea to spend money on a cruise (not a necessary living expense), I would have found a part time job at least. Our family is 2 hours away

2 of my 3 sons served in the military, one still is. So I understand the sacrifices. All 3 started going to daycare also at 8 weeks old, continued until school age, and have lived to tell about. :halo: We were a 2 working person family and I know tons, at least in my age bracket, that have done the same. Sacrifices are one thing but everyone needs to make the choices that work within their buget and try to help themselves as much as possible too.

When you apply for assistance there is an interview process where you discuss things like jobs. Even the DCF representative said any $$ I'd make for a job would barely cover child care and would actually probably put us more in the hole rather than be helpful.

Maybe talk to your parents again and in-laws and just see what they really think also. We are all strangers and I feel you need better advice on this. I feel for you and not trying to be hard, just realistic.

If you did decide to get your hubby's opinion- I still think having this a secret for so long is amazing and he will be so happy to know you've been planning a trip just to make him happy.

So, whether you decide to figure it out on your own, or let him in on it early, I still think you should be totally pleased and proud of yourself.

And about the second job thing- I personally see both sides. If I were to guess, I would assume you and your husband have talked about the option of you working before and decided on something that fit your lifestyle. I also know the benefits of a second income. Whatever you decide to do- I hope you have a great time celebrating his graduation!(:

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Thank you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When we moved back to Florida I tried to get a job for 6 months, and went on 5 interviews. Because it is a right to work state they were able to just simply not hire me though I know for a fact it was because I was pregnant. With my husband's schedule and no family in the immediate area (plus all our families work full-time jobs and wouldn't be available to babysit) it was decided I would wait to look for a job.

I DO have a seasonal job where I work 2 weeks at a theme park. I put ALL that money towards bills. I also do surveys and such during my son's nap time earning money for Christmas. For the last 3 years by the time Christmas rolls around I have $400-$500 available to spend that does NOT come out of paychecks. So I"m not a freeloader just sitting on my butt all day doing nothing but taking advantage. We usually do just fine, the summer months are just harder because my husband's GI bill doesn't pay as much housing during the summer. He also hasn't had drill in months so we've been missing a $300 paycheck since Feb.

I am VERY frugal making sure to coupon, take advantage of sales to stock up on items, and don't spend 'frivolously'.

Anyways, I am respectfully choosing to move along from trying to justify myself.

Some things changed overnight and all is well financially now.

Truth!

I just want to tell you, I have nothing but great hopes and prayers that all will work out for you. With the cruise, with finances, schooling, jobs, etc. In one of your earlier posts you said family would be helping with your child while you were on the cruise, so I figured they lived nearby.

Just giving you the type advice I'd give my own children if asked. You are probably in the same age range as some of my boys. Since you shared with us your struggles, I took that as you looking for some advice.

Please keep as posted as to how things work out. ❤️

We booked a cruise last April for this coming November on the Vista. My husband and I will be cruising with our soon to be three year old daughter and about a dozen other friends and families. We both had stable jobs at the time having been with our respective companies 8+ years each. In March, my husband unexpectedly lost his job. Luckily, my job pays well. But even so, we've lost 40% of our monthly income very suddenly. My first thought was that we had to cancel our cruise! But after looking more closely at our expenses, income and savings, I think we can make it work. I put together a spreadsheet showing all of the costs including the "extras" we would do on a cruise under normal circumstances (Cheers, excursions, photos, etc.). We had already bought and paid for airlines tickets and the full deposit amounts. So we would be out quite a bit by cancelling now (no, we didn't have travel insurance - no lectures, please - we knew the risks :D). I've been squirreling away money here and there and our savings is pretty healthy if we need a bit extra. Worst case scenario - we'll do a bare bones cruise without many of the extras we normally do and I'm sure we'll have a blast. My husband's been taking classes become a certified home inspector with plans to start his own business. After the drama of losing a job and stress of learning a new industry, I figure a nice, relaxing time away with friends and family will be just what we need!

While our circumstances are different, we each have to make the choices that are best for ourselves and families. It sounds like you are doing just that. I hope you are able to make it all work out! Best of luck!

I just want to tell you, I have nothing but great hopes and prayers that all will work out for you. With the cruise, with finances, schooling, jobs, etc. In one of your earlier posts you said family would be helping with your child while you were on the cruise, so I figured they lived nearby.

My mom has sick days stocked up and if she doesn't use them by the end of the fiscal year (Oct) they she loses them. She has 20+ days so she offered to come stay in our home to watch the baby and our dogs

Just giving you the type advice I'd give my own children if asked. You are probably in the same age range as some of my boys. Since you shared with us your struggles, I took that as you looking for some advice.

Please keep as posted as to how things work out. ❤️

Thank you

We booked a cruise last April for this coming November on the Vista. My husband and I will be cruising with our soon to be three year old daughter and about a dozen other friends and families. We both had stable jobs at the time having been with our respective companies 8+ years each. In March, my husband unexpectedly lost his job. Luckily, my job pays well. But even so, we've lost 40% of our monthly income very suddenly. My first thought was that we had to cancel our cruise! But after looking more closely at our expenses, income and savings, I think we can make it work. I put together a spreadsheet showing all of the costs including the "extras" we would do on a cruise under normal circumstances (Cheers, excursions, photos, etc.). We had already bought and paid for airlines tickets and the full deposit amounts. So we would be out quite a bit by cancelling now (no, we didn't have travel insurance - no lectures, please - we knew the risks :D). I've been squirreling away money here and there and our savings is pretty healthy if we need a bit extra. Worst case scenario - we'll do a bare bones cruise without many of the extras we normally do and I'm sure we'll have a blast. My husband's been taking classes become a certified home inspector with plans to start his own business. After the drama of losing a job and stress of learning a new industry, I figure a nice, relaxing time away with friends and family will be just what we need!

While our circumstances are different, we each have to make the choices that are best for ourselves and families. It sounds like you are doing just that. I hope you are able to make it all work out! Best of luck!

Thank you very much. I hope you are able to get all the relaxation you deserve on your cruise.

What about pushing the cruise back to October (when rates are cheaper) or taking a shorter cruise?

pushing back wouldn't be of any good if he has just started a new job or started a new school program.

I guess shorter would be an option but I had to choose the date I did because it was the only date available for us and I'm not sure there is a shorter one that would work around that time

pushing back wouldn't be of any good if he has just started a new job or started a new school program.

I guess shorter would be an option but I had to choose the date I did because it was the only date available for us and I'm not sure there is a shorter one that would work around that time

Also, if you change you would have to book the new shorter one at todays rates which may not save you much money.

I am not sure what part of Florida you live in, or how much you paid when you booked the Splendor last year. If you would please consider taking a shorter cruise from a different port, you might be able to cut the total cost of the cruise to a much more affordable amount.

You are booked for August 13 on the Splendor, Fort Lauderdale, 6 nights, today's base price for an interior is $599.

August 14 on the Victory, Miami, 4 nights, $289.

August 13, Liberty, Port Canaveral, 4 nights, $324.

August 12, Elation, Jacksonville, 5 nights, $384.

Savings: Based on today's price for the Splendor, you would save $620, $550, or $430 on the cruise fare. You would save another $26 per night in tips, and approximately $15 per night in parking. Plus lesser amounts of drinks, photos, etc. The Splendor vs. the Victory = $700 savings.

I know you would prefer a longer cruise on a nicer ship, but... it might be more enjoyable to take a shorter cruise and worry less about the expense. You have cruised enough to know the differences between ships and ports, but your DH does not, unless you tell him :D You would still be together and on a cruise.

Well with the help of gift cards the cruise is covered and paid for.

Though I am wondering now if it will get to stay a graduation gift surprise or not.

Originally he was the graduate on Aug 9th in the morning. That afternoon/evening we would do dinner with our families then come home to celebrate with dessert and gifts. That is when I was going to let him find out. Well he informed me yesterday that for one reason or another (the school never really divulges much info to the students) they had to move the graduation date to Aug 11th! I had planned on us heading to FLL the afternoon of the 12th to stay the night by the port.. but now I'm not sure about giving him 24 hours or less of a heads up. I did tell him that my gift has a time frame attached and so he may have to find out a few days before graduation. Of course now he's getting curious and asking questions. I just keep saying "The ONLY clue you're getting is it has a time frame... school would start back the 21st if you get accepted". I can tell now the gears and running and he's definitely trying to figure it out. He may have an inkling of it being a trip but I know he'll never guess cruise.