Quick question.

Taz_1

I would like to apologise up front for what is yet another question on gratuities.

I departed the Queen Elizabeth yesterday following a fantastic cruise to Norway. Whilst I am not keen on auto gratuities in principle, I have always accepted it as part of the cruise culture and paid without question. To date, I have never felt the need to ask for auto gratuities to be removed although I know this can be done. However, on this trip I was less than satisfied with the service provided by the sommelier and one of the servers in the Commodore Club. Due to this it crossed me mind whether it is possible to remove the auto gratuity (15%) which is added to the drink charge.

I would like to apologise up front for what is yet another question on gratuities.

I departed the Queen Elizabeth yesterday following a fantastic cruise to Norway. Whilst I am not keen on auto gratuities in principle, I have always accepted it as part of the cruise culture and paid without question. To date, I have never felt the need to ask for auto gratuities to be removed although I know this can be done. However, on this trip I was less than satisfied with the service provided by the sommelier and one of the servers in the Commodore Club. Due to this it crossed me mind whether it is possible to remove the auto gratuity (15%) which is added to the drink charge.

The best way to handle poor service that you feel requires not leaving a tip is to ask to speak to the manager and convey your dissatisfaction to that person. The complaint is instant to the lack of service etc. and is usually corrected quite quickly.

Thanks for the quick replies, I thought that it might be the case that you can't remove it.

The sommelier in particular unfortunately does not have all the skills for the job. Perhaps it is something that I should have raised at the time, but that would leave a bad feeling for the remainder of the cruise. Perhaps I was hoping that other staff such as the head waiter would notice and would have a word with him anyway.

have you done your 'comment card' yet?

You can mention the issue here and even by name if you know it

but if you DO ... you are REALLY slamming the individual as every line I've sailed takes the comment cards quite seriously . . .

Edited by Capt_BJ

Thanks for the quick replies, I thought that it might be the case that you can't remove it. The sommelier in particular unfortunately does not have all the skills for the job. Perhaps it is something that I should have raised at the time, but that would leave a bad feeling for the remainder of the cruise. Perhaps I was hoping that other staff such as the head waiter would notice and would have a word with him anyway.
Hi Taz_1,

I was in a similar position with a sommelier on a cruise a few years ago. After calmly and politely mentioning the problem directly, hoping for an improvement, there was no change. So I had a word as I left the restaurant with the assistant maitre d'.

The following evening he (the maitre d') took my wine order when he saw me sit at my table, and returned with the bottle, and sommelier... and ensured all was well.

From that evening on the sommelier was a changed man; there were no further issues.

I hope you have no such problems with your next cruise, best wishes.

Edited by pepperrn

They like to use the term "sommelier" with the public but when I've seen actual recruitment postings the job title has been "wine waiter." They're supposed to have some knowledge in order to make recommendations (I think much of this might be training provided after being hired) but the job description was as much about upselling as about advising passengers on a wine's suitability.

Edit to add as an example: http://www.hotel-jobs.co.uk/job-details_Wine_Waiter_Cruise_Ships_Worldwide_70066.aspx

Edited by Underwatr

have you done your 'comment card' yet?

You can mention the issue here and even by name if you know it

but if you DO ... you are REALLY slamming the individual as every line I've sailed takes the comment cards quite seriously . . .

I was very thoughtful about this and did mention it on the comment card.

However, I tried to be careful with my wording as I really didn't want to cause difficulties for an individual. There was no great issue as the guy was always very polite. There were little issues (other than his wine knowledge) and it was things such as on the first night when I ordered a wine, it was brought to the table for me to check the bottle and then taste. After I acknowledged the wine was fine, he filled my glass and left the table without offering any to my wife. I would have expected him to have offered her wine, especially as he stood behind me whilst I confirmed with my wife which wine she would prefer. I poured a glass for her myself and later during the meal when we had both finished our glasses, he returned and poured me some more wine, again ignoring my wife's empty glass.

Wine waiters are just waiters who serve wine. The term sommelier is a bit optimistic in my experience. Try attending a wine tasting where the wine waiters are in charge and you soon realise that the "knowledge" is largely bluff. Added to that they always seem to be rushed off their feet:shortsighted given the markup on wines.

David.

Wine waiters are just waiters who serve wine. The term sommelier is a bit optimistic in my experience. Try attending a wine tasting where the wine waiters are in charge and you soon realise that the "knowledge" is largely bluff. Added to that they always seem to be rushed off their feet:shortsighted given the markup on wines. David.
I agree with you balf; I used the term sommelier here, but otherwise I generally refer to them as wine waiters.

I was very thoughtful about this and did mention it on the comment card.

However, I tried to be careful with my wording as I really didn't want to cause difficulties for an individual. There was no great issue as the guy was always very polite. There were little issues (other than his wine knowledge) and it was things such as on the first night when I ordered a wine, it was brought to the table for me to check the bottle and then taste. After I acknowledged the wine was fine, he filled my glass and left the table without offering any to my wife. I would have expected him to have offered her wine, especially as he stood behind me whilst I confirmed with my wife which wine she would prefer. I poured a glass for her myself and later during the meal when we had both finished our glasses, he returned and poured me some more wine, again ignoring my wife's empty glass.

Can I ask, were you and your wife seated at a table for two or at a larger table with other guests ?

We had issues with our waiter and wine waiter on our recent cruise. We let it go on day one but it was the same on day 2. We complained to Guest Services on day 3 and the maitre'd phoned us. We explained the issues and at dinner that night our wine waiter apologised and the head waiter for our area checked that everything was fine for the rest of the voyage. The other people on our table thanked me as they had the same issues. There was no bad atmosphere that we noticed. Always complain, don't let it ruin your holiday.

Can I ask, were you and your wife seated at a table for two or at a larger table with other guests ?

We were sat at a table of six. My wife and I were the second couple to arrive at the table on the first night and the wine waiter was already there. if your question was whether he was aware that we were a couple seated with two other couples, I don't think that there was any doubt.

Yes that was a point I was going to make, so perhaps he was half asleep and being the first evening not concentrating who was with who.

I have had something similar happen to me, but the other way around. I travel solo and a sommelier (without asking me) offered the other five guests a glass each of my wine, I ended up with a mouthful ;)

Hopefully what happened to you was a one off ? how did he perform for the rest of the voyage .