Eclipsing Northern Europe by cruise : Basic black , and Baltic blues

scubacruiserx2

Here's a close up of the Benois Madonna .

IMG_9587_zpsnqqjwm1k.jpg

And with a quick pause between groups , I could get a quick picture of it , with Ty .

IMG_0511_zps0xjeuwi1.jpg

This is the Madonna Litta , also by da Vinci . A passing guide shared it's story with us also ( my , what big ears you have grandma ) .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madonna_Litta

IMG_9601_zpsugiswz03.jpg

8f443b2c-c5d6-4da4-9f69-f86f033d5ced_zps7280tekm.jpg

The doors in the room are a work of art themselves .

IMG_0517_zpst2j5igmr.jpg

They are decorated in the Boulle style , and made from tortoise shell and gilded brass .

IMG_9604_zpsrune58fq.jpg

Edited by scubacruiserx2

Thank you Nancy , I appreciate that . A photo is worth a thousand words ! We hope that you are well and diving ! This morning we are planning , with Tyler , a dive trip to Cozumel or a Disney water park trip in August - so we'll see ! :cool:

Have you decided yet? If you're diving in Cozumel, I'll need you to leave space in your suitcase for me to stow away! :D Oh, wait! I have to get my regulator serviced before I can dive. I will have it done soon, though. :cool:

After our return to the ground we had a nice lunch at a cafeteria in the fortress . Our next stop was at the Artillery Museum , which had walked around on the outside before , but never the inside . Gennadiy had hired a employee there who has an exhaustive knowledge of the 850,000 items exhibited .

There were also some knights in shining armor there !

DSC06237-001_zpsovfikcap.jpg

So that's where my knight in shining armor has been hiding! Who knew? :confused: I have been looking for him for years, but finally stopped looking when I met & married Barry. Now he is my knight in shining armor.

I loved your helicopter video. I have never flown in a helicopter. It is a bucket list item for me, one I hope to check off my list when I finally manage to get to either Hawaii or Alaska. Both of those destinations are also bucket list items.

With the Da Vinci Room becoming crowded , we moved over to one of my favorite artists in the Hermitage - Rembrandt .https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rembrandt

They have a large gallery with some of his more famous paintings there which we had hoped would be less crowded . We were wrong .

Flora

IMG_0612-001_zpsf0gqahjj.jpg

In the room with the painting

IMG_0611_zpsbt3i7anb.jpg

The Return of the Prodigal Son

800px-Rembrandt_Harmensz_van_Rijn_-_Return_of_the_Prodigal_Son_-_Google_Art_Project_zpscrnmaj1u.jpg

Viewing the Prodigal

IMG_0604_zpszubsnwyu.jpg

In order to portray the painting and the museum in it's best light , I 'll borrow a couple of previous postings from our Total Eclipse thread . The photos were taken last May when we stayed in SPB - BEFORE THE BUSY SEASON , and it's the reason that we prefer , and would recommend , a stay in SPB . :) :D

Outside of the Pavilion Hall is the Council Staircase , room # 206 on our map . And now , we are in in Large Hermitage . In one direction is the Italian art and in the other direction , the Rembrandt room #254 , seen across the way .

IMG_9554_zpsmmclz7h4.jpg

While art is highly subjective , Rembrandt through his contrast of light and darkness , subject matter and technique , remains one of my favorites . The Hermitage has 20 of his paintings . Like many artists , he used self , friends and family as models . The is his young wife , Saskia , as the Roman goddess of flowers and sex , Flora .

Europe200920165_zpsahfuiaj7.jpg

He also used her and self in The prodigal son in the Tavern painting - which is not found in the Hermitage .

Rembrandt_Harmensz._van_Rijn_139_zpsro2rtbok.jpg

"Rembrandt Harmensz. van Rijn 139" by Rembrandt - http://www.mcah.columbia.edu*: Home*: [1]. Licensed under Public Domain via Commons - https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Rembrandt_Harmensz._van_Rijn_139.jpg#/media/File:Rembrandt_Harmensz._van_Rijn_139.jpg

There is a lot of glare in the gallery so I reduced the photo sizes of some of the pictures .

The old man in red

Europe200920173_zpsjsob1guk.jpg

Portrait of an old Jew

Europe200920176_zpsjnkggngj.jpg

Young woman trying on earings

640a16c0-ad7e-43ce-ab2e-68840c7e990a_zpscnym7w79.jpg

Post # 1

Rembrandt's Abraham and Issac 1634 , from the Bible story .

Europe200920180_zpsonvkcmpk.jpg

Danae 1636

Europe200920163-001_zpstkir2eat.jpg

This is the painting that was attacked , by a man with a knife and acid in the account that follows from wikipedia :

On June 15, 1985 Rembrandt's painting was attacked by a man, a Soviet national later judged insane; he threw sulfuric acid on the canvas and cut it twice with his knife.[2] The entire central part of the composition was turned into a mixture of spots with a conglomerate of splashes and areas of dripping paint. The worst damage was to the face and hair of Danaë, her right arm, and legs.[2]

The process of restoring the painting began the same day. Following consultations with chemists, art restorers began washing the surface of the painting with water; they kept the painting in the vertical position, and sprayed water at the painting to prevent further degradation of the painting.

The restoration of the painting was accomplished between 1985 and 1997 by staff of the State Hermitage's Laboratory of Expert Restoration of Easel Paintings: Ye. N. Gerasimov (group leader), A. G. Rakhman, and G. A. Shirokov, with the participation of T. P. Alioshina in matters of scientific methodology.

And finally , Rembrandt's last great painting The return of the Prodigal Son 1669

IMG_9559_zps2larcvvi.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Return_of_the_Prodigal_Son_(Rembrandt)

It is a renowned work described by art historian Kenneth Clark as "a picture which those who have seen the original in Leningrad may be forgiven for claiming as the greatest picture ever painted".[2]

The quote above and the following photo are from wikipedia :

800px-Rembrandt_Harmensz_van_Rijn_-_Return_of_the_Prodigal_Son_-_Google_Art_Project_zpscrnmaj1u.jpg

Post # 2

I was able to take a updated version of Danae this visit , before moving on .

088b78dc-81a8-40e8-bc97-decfa9e61147_zpsgmep6evn.jpg

We were in Bruges yesterday. A fellow traveller organised a taxi for eight people. It was €25 per couple. Off the ship on to the free shuttle bus to the port entrance. The taxi was waiting for us. We were in Bruges by 8:30. It was very quiet and nowhere was open. The advantage was we were able to stand back and admire the buildings without crowds. The Tourist Information centre does not open until 10:00 am and this seemed to be a common theme. Easy place to walk around and we enjoyed the boat ride. The return taxi wax booked for 13:30. He was waiting for us and after what seemed a very quick journey we were back at the port entrance. Same process in reverse as getting off.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Do you happen to know which taxi firm they used please. Think I had better start booking for next July!

We were in Bruges yesterday. A fellow traveller organised a taxi for eight people. It was €25 per couple. Off the ship on to the free shuttle bus to the port entrance. The taxi was waiting for us. We were in Bruges by 8:30. It was very quiet and nowhere was open. The advantage was we were able to stand back and admire the buildings without crowds. The Tourist Information centre does not open until 10:00 am and this seemed to be a common theme. Easy place to walk around and we enjoyed the boat ride. The return taxi wax booked for 13:30. He was waiting for us and after what seemed a very quick journey we were back at the port entrance. Same process in reverse as getting off.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Do you happen to know which taxi firm they used please. Think I had better start booking for next July!

We did the same last year and used Ronys taxis. Just emailed them and agreed the times. They quoted us €50 each way for either a car for 4 or a minibus taking 8. So I booked the minibus for 8 and then filled it with members of our roll call.

It worked out at €25 per couple in total. We took the free shuttle bus to the edge of the port and met the driver there. On the way back he took us all the way to the ship.

We did the same last year and used Ronys taxis. Just emailed them and agreed the times. They quoted us €50 each way for either a car for 4 or a minibus taking 8. So I booked the minibus for 8 and then filled it with members of our roll call.

It worked out at €25 per couple in total. We took the free shuttle bus to the edge of the port and met the driver there. On the way back he took us all the way to the ship.

Thank you for sharing that great information with us bremenkat ! :) :D

Have you decided yet? If you're diving in Cozumel, I'll need you to leave space in your suitcase for me to stow away! :D Oh, wait! I have to get my regulator serviced before I can dive. I will have it done soon, though. :cool:

You are having your reg. serviced ? We thought that you might be diving lobster mini season ! Yum :) :D We are thinking about staying in the end of October / November and meeting friends there . We rent apartments and eat , sleep and dive - like a cruise with diving !!

So that's where my knight in shining armor has been hiding! Who knew? :confused: I have been looking for him for years, but finally stopped looking when I met & married Barry. Now he is my knight in shining armor.

That sounds like the Blackmore's Night video - Once in a Million years . Have you heard it ?

You and Barry sound like a perfect match !

I loved your helicopter video. I have never flown in a helicopter. It is a bucket list item for me, one I hope to check off my list when I finally manage to get to either Hawaii or Alaska. Both of those destinations are also bucket list items.

Thank you , it's so much more fun riding on one than working on one ! Those are both excellent choices for a place to fly and we are hoping for next Summer - in Alaska ! :cool:

I am becoming so excited now seeing all your wonderful pictures. It's a shame we miss out on Stockholm but there is so much to see everywhere anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We missed Helsinki on ours and spent an extra day and night in SPB . On our first Baltic cruise (NCL) we had 2 days and a night in SPB , a day in Helsinki and 2 days and a night in Copenhagen . We did prefer the extra day in SPB , and so something had to give . ;)

Two last photos before leaving the Hermitage .

A giant vase

IMG_0683_zpsxbmawis5.jpg

And a mummy

IMG_0691_zpsj5shpeu5.jpg

And NO , it's not Lenin - he's in the Kremlin !

Finally , one last set of comparison and contrast photos

The Hermitage and Palace Square in early May 2015 :

90025407-ef94-413d-b987-4c74a434db1f_zps0p6i8q32.jpg

2a5736ac-2f4b-4891-98d3-85239b7df698_zpshzpzsprg.jpg

And in mid June 2016

IMG_0695_zpsluopx15e.jpg

IMG_070120Stitch-001_zpsscddiumb.jpg

Palace Square was being prepared for a Russian Day holiday concert , later that evening , which we choose not to attend .

Goodness! Your pictures of the Hermitage are stunning not just for the wonderful photography but for the absence of crowds! I was incredibly disappointed in our "early entrance" to the Hermitage in 2013...it was packed, and I didn't even feel safe because of the pushing and shoving of a couple really large groups.:mad:

I'm making a mental note. When we go back, we will hire a PRIVATE guide who can truly get us in to the Hermitage before the crowds.

Look at the difference --

What you saw:

0274d5c7-56e4-4df5-ab50-530a17bd74fd_zpssnmw77gs.jpg

:D

What we saw:

IMG_4595-2W-XL.jpg

:eek:

Edited by Cindy

Goodness! Your pictures of the Hermitage are stunning not just for the wonderful photography but for the absence of crowds! I was incredibly disappointed in our "early entrance" to the Hermitage in 2013...it was packed, and I didn't even feel safe because of the pushing and shoving of a couple really large groups.:mad:

I'm making a mental note. When we go back, we will hire a PRIVATE guide who can truly get us in to the Hermitage before the crowds.

Look at the difference --

What you saw:

0274d5c7-56e4-4df5-ab50-530a17bd74fd_zpssnmw77gs.jpg

:D

What we saw:

IMG_4595-2W-XL.jpg

Thank you Cindy , it certainly is more enjoyable to have fewer people , especially for taking photos ! Our preferred visits are a stay in the shoulder season of May or September and DIY with the SPB card . You have fewer crowds and more time , but it requires a visa . The private guide works good for a family or a small group , but they are not all equal , so confirm a truly early entrance at the Hermitage or Catherine's Palace ( if you go ) , before you go . We have skipped Catherine's Palace several times because of the crowds there and the 4 hour time block needed to visit there .

We feel your crowd pain from your photo , and as a result we try to avoid them as much as possible ! The crowds in those places usually come in waves . We were in the first at the Hermitage and had about an hour before the second wave caught us near the da Vinci room . At about the 2 hour mark and with the third wave crashing - we headed out . As we were exiting , a rogue Chinese lady chasing to catch to group , gave Patty a hockey - style shoulder check which left her sore for a couple of days ! :eek:

The crowds in the Yusupov Palace were the noisiest, one of the guides had a large group of Japanese and no one had been supplied with the ear buds for the address system. The guide spoke in such a loud voice to enable her group to hear, that she was told off by our guide.

Thank you Cindy , it certainly is more enjoyable to have fewer people , especially for taking photos ! Our preferred visits are a stay in the shoulder season of May or September and DIY with the SPB card . You have fewer crowds and more time , but it requires a visa . The private guide works good for a family or a small group , but they are not all equal , so confirm a truly early entrance at the Hermitage or Catherine's Palace ( if you go ) , before you go .

As we were exiting , a rogue Chinese lady chasing to catch to group , gave Patty a hockey - style shoulder check which left her sore for a couple of days ! :eek:

I had the same thing happen as we were getting ready to leave. We were trying to make our way to the stairs for the restrooms/coat-check. There was a HUGE group following an umbrella guide, and they were all pushing and shoving. When we got to the top of the steps one of them shoved me in the back...if it hadn't been wall-to-wall people I would have tumbled to the bottom of the marble staircase. I was shaking like a leaf, and the lady was laughing. It really soured what I thought would be the highlight of the trip.[emoji22]

I swore I would never go back, but your posts have shown me it can be done. I would have to do some research, but I love that part![emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The crowds in the Yusupov Palace were the noisiest, one of the guides had a large group of Japanese and no one had been supplied with the ear buds for the address system. The guide spoke in such a loud voice to enable her group to hear, that she was told off by our guide.

We did hear some noisy groups in the churches with the high ceilings , but not that noisy ! Fortunately , your guide had the presence to speak up to them ! And hopefully it worked .

I had the same thing happen as we were getting ready to leave. We were trying to make our way to the stairs for the restrooms/coat-check. There was a HUGE group following an umbrella guide, and they were all pushing and shoving. When we got to the top of the steps one of them shoved me in the back...if it hadn't been wall-to-wall people I would have tumbled to the bottom of the marble staircase. I was shaking like a leaf, and the lady was laughing. It really soured what I thought would be the highlight of the trip.[emoji22]

I swore I would never go back, but your posts have shown me it can be done. I would have to do some research, but I love that part![emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow !

I never cease to be astonished at the horrible behavior of some people !

The next place that we visited was the amazing St. Isaac's Cathedral .

http://www.saint-petersburg.com/cathedrals/st-isaacs-cathedral/

The view from St. Isaac's Square

014a0bca-3ab9-419a-8842-06be5fd65b6d_zpszlpflqjn.jpg

We will be using some photos from our 2015 visit

1fceb437-860c-4a40-bc37-a0c0ac2e2167_zpsi0q6j97z.jpg

It took 40 years to complete , but it's beautiful

8cc26aad-520d-430c-a004-caf618db51a8_zpsxkxcuqb5.jpg

f4e463b2-89e8-4545-9831-af0710f8e961_zpsvwj5lk7j.jpg

It's about 100 meters to the top of the dome and the statues there are larger than life .

f4a27f90-c8d7-4b9b-9ab8-0da8d4feb052_zpsp4bpwbd5.jpg

It was much more crowded when we visited this year .

c8e3dbb8-bdca-4f47-b4cb-c1d117dbc990_zpswerkdr44.jpg

You are having your reg. serviced ? We thought that you might be diving lobster mini season ! Yum :) :D We are thinking about staying in the end of October / November and meeting friends there . We rent apartments and eat , sleep and dive - like a cruise with diving !!

That sounds like the Blackmore's Night video - Once in a Million years . Have you heard it ?

You and Barry sound like a perfect match !

Thank you , it's so much more fun riding on one than working on one ! Those are both excellent choices for a place to fly and we are hoping for next Summer - in Alaska ! :cool:

Unfortunately for me, I am allergic to lobster. Not so unfortunate for the lobster! :D

I like your plan of eat, sleep, and dive, but with Barry not being a diver we try to break the diving up a bit by finding adventures we both enjoy.

I guess you've figured out my screen name. When we first met, all our friends kept saying we had found our perfect match. We thought so, too!

I had not seen the video, thanks for the link. I will have to show it to Barry. I think he will like it, too.

Your plan for next summer sounds like a good one. :cool:

Could I but in here with another question please? What are the options of snacking in SPB? Typically a small beer and whatever they offer with it? Thank you.

Edited by cocker2

Could I but in here with another question please? What are the options of snacking in SPB? Typically a small beer and whatever they offer with it? Thank you.

A popular Russian fast food is the blini (Crepe) with fruit , fish or mushrooms from Teremok .

Menu: https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&u=http://teremok.ru/menu/&prev=search

Also , many people will get meat or fruit pies , to stay or to go , from Stolle .

Menu :http://www.stolle.ru/en/menu/saint-petersburg#block-quicktabs-pirogi

They both are cheap , good , quick and local food . :) :D

Edited by scubacruiserx2