Getting RCI to see sense with cabin allocation

I think a lot of people who book guarantees for the first time are not really aware of the possible consequences. It's a steep learning curve.

Quite possible. I blame the TA in this case, they should have explained to the OP exactly what they were giving up by taking the lower cost, guarantee rate.

If there´s actually that many JS left and some of them next to each other, the OP should call their TA and have them "upgrade" from guarantee to assigned cabins and book two cabins next to each other. Problem solved.

Yes, that's the solution. I'm very sorry the OP did not understand how guarantees work, but if you have a need for a specific cabin or cabins, location, etc., then don't book guarantee. There's a reason the guarantee category is cheaper.

I don't use TAs, but if the OP's TA did not adequately explain things here, perhaps the TA should pay for the upgrade.

Edited by Turtles06

First question to ask if you are considering the switch: Where will my new cabin be?

Same thing when we are on an airplane and are asked to change seats (often, because my travel party is all adults and we frequently are seated singly to take advantage of aisle seats: Where is the new seat? If it is far behind me, or non-aisle, no. If it is a better category or farther front, ok.

They told us and we knew in advance. We're just nice like that. Like I said - it was a similar situation with children on the other end of the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That´s what they did to the OP. They assigned cabins "a bit further down the corridor" from each other.;)

I realize that, but his kids are a lot younger than mine. As I said, I think he got the one cabin because it is a double occupancy and he's putting 2 people in it. Only 3/4 occupancy cabins are currently left.

Again, booking guarantees is a steep learning curve and after the first time, one is a lot smarter about possible consequences. First timer might think, 'I'm a family of 4, we need two cabins, they'll put us right next door'. On the other hand, I would think, 1 double occupancy left, away from the triples. I might get split up.

Good luck OP~

They told us and we knew in advance. We're just nice like that. Like I said - it was a similar situation with children on the other end of the ship.

I am curious; what category cabin, what length of cruise, and what did the cruise line offer you for the move, and was it pre-cruise or did they approach you onboard?

I realize that, but his kids are a lot younger than mine. As I said, I think he got the one cabin because it is a double occupancy and he's putting 2 people in it. Only 3/4 occupancy cabins are currently left.

Again, booking guarantees is a steep learning curve and after the first time, one is a lot smarter about possible consequences. First timer might think, 'I'm a family of 4, we need two cabins, they'll put us right next door'. On the other hand, I would think, 1 double occupancy left, away from the triples. I might get split up.

Good luck OP~

I agree with you and I don´t blame the OP for their mistake about the guarantee. I cn´t tell if they have been misguided By their TA in this and thus might have a gripe with them.

What I don´t agree with is the OP´s Statements about the "jobsworth" and "Getting RCI to see sense...".

Neither RCI nor their phone rep did anything wrong in this case.

What I don´t agree with is the OP´s Statements about the "jobsworth" and "Getting RCI to see sense...".

Funny you said that because I was just going to post this:

I think people would be more sympathetic if OP had presented another thread title and hadn't called that guy a jobsworth. He's obviously a bit frustrated.

I am curious; what category cabin, what length of cruise, and what did the cruise line offer you for the move, and was it pre-cruise or did they approach you onboard?

It really was a long time ago.

They were outside cabins on a week long cruise. It was our Southern Caribbean Thanksgiving cruise - sold out, as they usually are. We were asked onboard, can't remember how. I don't know officer titles, but I think it was somebody higher up that approached us (I'm assuming it was as soon as we were allowed in our cabin.) We were given a bridge tour and dinner at Chops. They also moved all bags for us.

Honestly, we didn't find it to be that big a deal, but, as it was my mother's first cruise (and mine in years), would have liked the center location. I didn't really think twice about getting a connecting cabin; now, I make sure I don't!

Neither RCI nor their phone rep did anything wrong in this case.

Funny you said that because I was just going to post this:

I think people would be more sympathetic if OP had presented another thread title and hadn't called that guy a jobsworth. He's obviously a bit frustrated.

I'm an American and had never seen the word "jobsworth" before this thread, so of course I looked it up. (You learn a lot from Cruise Critic! :) )

I agree that it was inappropriate for the OP to call the RCI rep that; RCI did nothing wrong here. Sounds like the only "jobsworths" are employed by the OP's TA. :)

As I said already upthread. I´ve Chosen connecting cabins, even when I didn´t Need them. I see no downside to a connecting cabin at all and I Chose By Location and it doesn´t matter to me if it´s connecting or not.

For sure I would refuse a request like this from RCI and I would also let them know all the way to the top how disgusted I would be By the question.

I don't know what "a bit further" means to OP. I took it that the cabin he wants is sandwiched by the cabins he has. In that case, the location isn't really any different. But if we're talking about a hump vs. a non-hump JS, then IMO we're talking about a different quality of cabin, since the hump cabins on NV have nicer balconies.

But I don't know why you would be "disgusted" by the request. All you have to do is say no.

thanks. I have phoned RC and I am now in that catch 22 of "Nothing to do with us, contact your travel agent" Travel agent - "nothing to do with us, contact RC"

Your TA is full of it - s/he absolutely is the one to talk to you about it, and it may well be that the RCI rep who initially told you s/he couldn't do anything did so because you are booked through a TA. If the agent you are working with won't help you, then ask to speak with his or her supervisor. And find a new TA, which you've probably already resolved to do.