Anybody in YC as a solo?

Zoey

Considering booking YC on Seaside. Has anybody done YC as a solo, and if so were you treated okay by the crew? As a frequent solo land traveler and cruiser, I know occasionally solos can be kind of ignored by both crew and fellow passengers. Not intentionally, I just think it's because it makes some uncomfortable or they feel sorry for you and don't know what to say. Many don't realize it's by choice for a lot of us. Thanks!

Considering booking YC on Seaside. Has anybody done YC as a solo, and if so were you treated okay by the crew? As a frequent solo land traveler and cruiser, I know occasionally solos can be kind of ignored by both crew and fellow passengers. Not intentionally, I just think it's because it makes some uncomfortable or they feel sorry for you and don't know what to say. Many don't realize it's by choice for a lot of us. Thanks!

That is an absurd thought.

considering booking yc on seaside. Has anybody done yc as a solo, and if so were you treated okay by the crew? As a frequent solo land traveler and cruiser, i know occasionally solos can be kind of ignored by both crew and fellow passengers. Not intentionally, i just think it's because it makes some uncomfortable or they feel sorry for you and don't know what to say. Many don't realize it's by choice for a lot of us. Thanks!

book it and have a great time.

I'm booked solo on YC next year. I never cruised solo before but my last cruise my mom wanted to rest so I had to do many things by myself. The crew was brilliant and one time in the MDR they asked if I was alone, with a bit of concern. When I said 'yes, I'm alone', they put me in a big fun table with 10 people for lunch. Book it and have fun!

Nobody will have done solo yet in YC as MSC have kept Fantasia class YC solo-free. You won't receive an answer to your question 'til at least the Meraviglia sails.

I will report back from my solo YC Fantasia cruise in January 2017:)

Just based on our experience in YC the butlers and servers will be outgoing with you if you do the same. Also we have found it easy to make friends in the Topsail lounge. Not solo travelers but just relating when we've observed. Book and enjoy!

Nobody will have done solo yet in YC as MSC have kept Fantasia class YC solo-free. You won't receive an answer to your question 'til at least the Meraviglia sails.

Really?? I didn't realize that. Thanks for educating me to that fact. I've been on more than a dozen cruises solo (Celebrity, Oceania, RCI, HAL, NCL, etc.) and paid double (or even more) in fare, which I understand and accept, but have never been not allowed to book. A concept I don't understand. However, it does help me understand I should take my almost $6,000 and support a more solo friendly line.

To those who call me "absurd" for even asking the question, I think this fact supports my concerns. Take a look at the CC solo forum and you'll see many others experience the same concerns.

I think this is/was a terrible policy. I can understand a 200% surcharge, but a forbidden policy seems absurd for multitude of reasons.

Zoey- I have sailed divine solo (non yc) and yc with a friend. Msc is a very family friendly line and some were curious that A married woman choose to sail solo; but there was nothing from the staff that made me feel uncomfortable or unwanted other then downright refusing a table for one in the dining room. This wouldn't be an issue in Lemuse. I actually think yc is PERFECT for a solo cruise as it is a very social and attentive environment, yet private if you desire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's rare but it happens!

I found a review from Skipper Tim about his solo YC experience in 2013:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.phpt=1799856&highlight=watch+club+solot=1799856&

It's rare but it happens!

I found a review from Skipper Tim about his solo YC experience in 2013:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.phpt=1799856&highlight=watch+club+solot=1799856&

I remember Tim with fondness ........ however, he didn't sail in YC - he was invited to visit and dine by others who did.

I see Darcy has managed to book YC on Fantasia in January. Perhaps MSC is relaxing the regs. Please do let us know how it goes for you.

Edited by Beamafar

I remember Tim with fondness ........ however, he didn't sail in YC - he was invited to visit and dine by others who did.

I see Darcy has managed to book YC on Fantasia in January. Perhaps MSC is relaxing the regs. Please do let us know how it goes for you.

Whatever happened to Skipper Tim by the way Bea??? He was a regular poster on this board for a long time!!!

Whatever happened to Skipper Tim by the way Bea??? He was a regular poster on this board for a long time!!!

He's sailed off into the sunset, Mike :D

Nah, last time I 'spoke' with him (through the forum here) he was doing a lot of what he calls "land cruises" as in staying in all-inclusive resorts in Turkey. He's written a few reviews on TripAdvisor. In fact, he almost convinced me to join him, it sounds so good!

He's sailed off into the sunset, Mike :D

Nah, last time I 'spoke' with him (through the forum here) he was doing a lot of what he calls "land cruises" as in staying in all-inclusive resorts in Turkey. He's written a few reviews on TripAdvisor. In fact, he almost convinced me to join him, it sounds so good!

Sure does,,,but the Turkey part,,not so much!!!:eek:

Before I discovered cruising and every so often I too stay in all-inclusive resorts throughout the Caribbean and Mexico and while they have their pros such as drinks are included and the pools are usually spectacular and large....I still think Cruising (my opinion of course) offer a more relaxing and full vacation experience. Now that cruising is also offering drink packages it's even better. Of course, I moved to Florida 15 years ago, so having 3 ports within a short driving distance has something to do with it. Though I don't HATE flying...it's not my preferred method of traveling.

I actually have 3 YC solo cruises booked :)

Fantasia in January 2017, followed by Preziosa in September 2017 and then Divina in January 2018 :D

I will report back :)

I've only ever cruised Princess - also solo - but felt like a change, and Yacht Club was intriguing

Really?? I didn't realize that. Thanks for educating me to that fact. I've been on more than a dozen cruises solo (Celebrity, Oceania, RCI, HAL, NCL, etc.) and paid double (or even more) in fare, which I understand and accept, but have never been not allowed to book. A concept I don't understand. However, it does help me understand I should take my almost $6,000 and support a more solo friendly line.

To those who call me "absurd" for even asking the question, I think this fact supports my concerns. Take a look at the CC solo forum and you'll see many others experience the same concerns.

Hi Zoey

I travel solo and completely understand what you're saying :)

I've had some 'awkward' moments along the way :o

You've been given inaccurate information here

.....I've got 3 solo YC cruises booked, no problems :D

I actually have 3 YC solo cruises booked :)

Fantasia in January 2017, followed by Preziosa in September 2017 and then Divina in January 2018 :D

I will report back :)

I've only ever cruised Princess - also solo - but felt like a change, and Yacht Club was intriguing

I've been in YC on Splendida, Preziosa and Divina. I hope your experiences are every bit as good as mine were. It's interesting to know that they've opened up YC to solos - I'm very happy for you. Buon viaggio :)

Really? Wow, then the introduction of his review is really misleading because he starts by showing off that he will have all the YC to himself. Now I have to read the whole thing to be sure, lol

Regardless, I'm very curious to read all those solo YC reviews coming up to know what to expect for mine :D

5 weeks ago on the Fantasia YC there was a solo cruiser in the cabin left of us.

And i made a solo YC booking for june 17 with the Fantasia.The price war about 200% but there wasn't a problem to book it solo.

5 weeks ago on the Fantasia YC there was a solo cruiser in the cabin left of us.

And i made a solo YC booking for june 17 with the Fantasia.The price war about 200% but there wasn't a problem to book it solo.

Just goes to prove you can't say anything definitive as the goal posts are constantly changing with cruise companies. Another example would be that, if you had an all-inclusive package included in your cruise price, you couldn't upgrade it to premium for just the difference in price - you had to pay full whack! According to my TA that has now changed as she read it (and photo'd it for reference!) onboard a while ago.

Edited by Beamafar

Just goes to prove you can't say anything definitive as the goal posts are constantly changing with cruise companies. Another example would be that, if you had an all-inclusive package included in your cruise price, you couldn't upgrade it to premium for just the difference in price - you had to pay full whack! According to my TA that has now changed as she read it (and photo'd it for reference!) onboard a while ago.

We are speaking about the MSC Yacht Club and there you can't made any Upgrade and its a all inclusive category.

The question was as its possible to made a booking for a solo traveller in the YC or not? And the answer was: yes its possible but the price is almost 200%.

We are speaking about the MSC Yacht Club and there you can't made any Upgrade and its a all inclusive category.

Yes, I should have clarified that I was speaking about bookings outside of YC which have Allegrissimo included in the price. The point I was trying to make is that MSC are now allowing you upgrade to premium for the price difference whereas they charged the full price beforehand.

The question was as its possible to made a booking for a solo traveller in the YC or not? And the answer was: yes its possible but the price is almost 200%.

The answer actually is: Yes, it's possible - in limited circumstances! As with ALL solo bookings with MSC not all cruises are open and, according to my TA, MSC will pull availability at any time.