Seeking Clarification on Handling Wine Purchases

dougecon

I am doing the 7-day Alaska cruise on Island Princess and will be traveling with my wife and mother-in-law. Neither are big alcohol drinkers but both enjoy a few glasses of wine late in the day and with dinner. After reading various threads on the forum, it seemed that buying the all inclusive package for myself and they getting the 40 percent discount for bottles for them to share made the most sense.

But what are the rules for carrying wine around the ship? Do I make separate purchases of the dining room vs in-room consumption vs in the bars, etc. Not entirely sure how this works? Or, will they still need to purchase the occasional glass?

Also, I've seen references to wine packages but do not see anything listed in the personalizer. Is there nothing along those lines available for this cruise or is it something you have to acquire on board?

Thanks in advance.

Sharing the wine you purchase at 40% off would work well. If you do that, you would not want to purchase a wine package, since the package discount is not as large as the 40% off. You will have to purchase the bottles with your cruise card to get the 40% off; they can't purchase at the discount. But once you purchase the bottle, you can share it however you want. In fact, you may choose not to drink any of that bottle at dinner, since you can get your own wine by the glass included in the air inclusive beverage package.

You can carry wine, beer, or liquor around the ship with no problems. You can purchase a drink at a bar and carry it out and into the dining room. You can pour a drink in your room and carry it to a bar or into the dining room. About the only restriction is that they don't want you carrying glass containers around the swimming pools, but they will be happy to give you a plastic glass to pour your glass into.

If you purchase a bottle in the dining room, you may leave it in the dining room for your next meal or you may carry it out and take it to your room. You can then take it back to the dining room if you want.

It may be easier to purchase a bottle to leave in the dining room and another bottle to take back to your room. That way you don't have to carry it back and forth. But it's up to you.

Think of the entire ship as one very large bar. Anything you purchase on the ship can be drunk anywhere on the ship.

I've never had the AIBP but here's the description from the Princess website:

Enjoy the convenience of our All-inclusive Package featuring any drink up to $10 including cocktails, wine, beer, bottled water, sodas, specialty coffees & more! A 40% discount on bottles of wine (below $100 retail) is also offered on bottles purchased in bars, dining rooms or specialty restaurants.

Excludes in-room services, souvenir, mini-bar and vending machine items.

Princess has told me they don't promote their wine package on their website because it's not available on all cruises (generally on 10 day or longer cruises & with sufficient inventory).

The details on the wine packages are:

Note: A 15% gratuity is added to all package prices (like any other bar purchase).

Silver Package (wines up to $29 per bottle list price)

7 bottles -- $161 (average of $23 per bottle)

10 bottles -- $210 (average of $21 per bottle)

12 bottles -- $240 (average of $20 per bottle)

Gold Package (wines up to $45 per bottle list price)

7 bottles -- $217 (average of $31 per bottle)

10 bottles -- $290 (average of $29 per bottle)

12 bottles -- $336 (average of $28 per bottle)

You get a punch card which can be used at any of the dining locations.

You may choose any wine on on the regular wine menu. If you want to buy a wine that costs more than what the package covers, you just pay the difference. For example, if you have a Gold package and buy a wine that costs $46, the charge for $46 will appear on your stateroom account, followed by a $45 credit

It's been a great option on our longer cruises & here's an Excel spreadsheet created by 'steelers36' comparing the total cost to purchase wine onboard vs at a Total Wine store in Florida.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=48676018&postcount=39

Hopefully some of this will help you decide what's your most cost-effective option.

Edited by Astro Flyer

My experience with a glass of wine ... If you approach the dining room with a glass of wine in hand, THEY (A waiter) WILL CARRY IT TO THE TABLE FOR YOU. LOL :) YMMV as this may not be consistent on ALL ships

in Sabatini's in April the waitress poured the wine into a new glass

My plan last year.. But my mom likes Moscato.. and they do not carry that by the bottle. Only by the glass. Good news is she doesn't drink much so I would carry a glass from the cabin and purchase a glass for her at dinner. That usually covered it.

My plan last year.. But my mom likes Moscato.. and they do not carry that by the bottle. Only by the glass. Good news is she doesn't drink much so I would carry a glass from the cabin and purchase a glass for her at dinner. That usually covered it.

Anything they sell by the glass they will sell by the bottle. They do have many wines, of course, they only sell by the bottle.

I am doing the 7-day Alaska cruise on Island Princess and will be traveling with my wife and mother-in-law. Neither are big alcohol drinkers but both enjoy a few glasses of wine late in the day and with dinner. After reading various threads on the forum, it seemed that buying the all inclusive package for myself and they getting the 40 percent discount for bottles for them to share made the most sense.

But what are the rules for carrying wine around the ship? Do I make separate purchases of the dining room vs in-room consumption vs in the bars, etc. Not entirely sure how this works? Or, will they still need to purchase the occasional glass?

Also, I've seen references to wine packages but do not see anything listed in the personalizer. Is there nothing along those lines available for this cruise or is it something you have to acquire on board?

Thanks in advance.

Here are some observations:

At boarding each of you may carry on 1 x 750ml bottle of wine without charge. That's 3 bottles, a good start. This wine is for use in your cabin, but many passengers pour it into a glass and carry it around the ship.

If you purchase a bottle of wine in the DR and don't finish it the DR will hold it until the next time you ask for it. You can request that bottle in any DR on the ship including specialty DR's. If you wish to use that bottle anywhere else on the ship you will have to carry it around, a bit cumbersome, and I would predict that you probably will not do this. So, if your wife and MIL wish a glass of wine at a bar or lounge, they will most likely purchase it at that time. The cost per glass will probably be from $7 to $10.

Edited by sknight