Possible Semi-private Solution

Solocater

I would never ever no how no way share with a stranger! Curtain or not, that just wouldn't happen :p TBH, I don't see how it's unfair for a cruise line to charge 200% for a solo in a double occupancy cabin. Hotels have done that forever--it's standard practice in the hospitality industry. I do what Lois does...I look at the total price and decide if it's worth that much to me. I always have an amount in mind that would be too much. I'm very thankful that some of NCL's ships have studios. My first solo cruise was in a double occupancy cabin, but my last one was on the Epic. I got a smoking deal on a 10-night Canary Islands cruise in a studio. It was my first time on a mega-ship, and I didn't think I would like a ship that big, but I really enjoyed it. So much so that I'll be on the Epic again in 417 days. :D

My kids are grown and I'm divorced and most of my friends are either married, not interested in cruising, or not able to afford it. So, I travel solo. It's a lot cheaper for me to travel solo than with a companion since the companion would be my 21-year-old DD and I'd be paying for her! LOL. I'm a very independent person and I enjoy being by myself or with others. So, solo cruising is perfect for me.

I don't think it's really hurting them! If it were, things would be different, but right now cruise ships almost always said full, so I don't see why they'd be moved to change. While it's true that the average solo traveler spends more on board than your average non-solo, it's still not enough to make up the difference of the lost fare.

I agree it's not hurting them or they'd change their model! Just curious about what your source is to say the average solo traveler spends more than the average non-solo. I've understood it to be the reverse, but I don't have a source for that. I know that they don't make much off of me. I spend very little on board. :D

I would never ever no how no way share with a stranger! Curtain or not, that just wouldn't happen :p TBH, I don't see how it's unfair for a cruise line to charge 200% for a solo in a double occupancy cabin. Hotels have done that forever--it's standard practice in the hospitality industry. I do what Lois does...I look at the total price and decide if it's worth that much to me. I always have an amount in mind that would be too much. I'm very thankful that some of NCL's ships have studios. My first solo cruise was in a double occupancy cabin, but my last one was on the Epic. I got a smoking deal on a 10-night Canary Islands cruise in a studio. It was my first time on a mega-ship, and I didn't think I would like a ship that big, but I really enjoyed it. So much so that I'll be on the Epic again in 417 days. :D

My kids are grown and I'm divorced and most of my friends are either married, not interested in cruising, or not able to afford it. So, I travel solo. It's a lot cheaper for me to travel solo than with a companion since the companion would be my 21-year-old DD and I'd be paying for her! LOL. I'm a very independent person and I enjoy being by myself or with others. So, solo cruising is perfect for me.

I agree it's not hurting them or they'd change their model! Just curious about what your source is to say the average solo traveler spends more than the average non-solo. I've understood it to be the reverse, but I don't have a source for that. I know that they don't make much off of me. I spend very little on board. :D

I can't find it now, but the reason is that solo passengers are more likely to book cruise excursions, more likely to socialize in the lounges and spend on alcohol, more likely to spend in the spa.

FWIW, the reason solos paying double on a cruise is not the same as in a hotel (IMO), is that a cruise is more than a hotel. So passengers may take up the cabin space of two, but they don't consume as much food and drink as two, don't use the same amount of hot water as two, don't take up as much space in the lounge or theatre as two.

It's funny. When I do land based travel 99% of the time I choose to stay in hostels in dorm style accom (usually 4 or 6 to a room). As much as I love these trips there is nothing greater than having my own space on a cruise.

Cruise sharing has existed for decades. I have friends who did it all through the 60s and 70s and I did it all through the 80s and 90s on the big ships. The cruise company themselves advertised the option and partnered up 2,3 and 4 people of same gender to fill the cabins and it was a massive cost saving to solo travellers.

For 3 out of 4 of my Antarctica trips since 2010 I selected to share a twin cabin (couldnt bear to do a triple or quad!). The savings for me there were $50-60 thousand per trip so sharing was vital. 4th trip I caught a last minute deal of a twin cabin with no solo supplement.

There are worldwide websites and facebook pages devoted to people seeking cruise companions to save costs. They have tens of thousands of members. One facebook group that I am a member of has people seeking people to split costs daily and they all report back that they had a great time and saved thousands.

For me it depends on the trip as to what I decide to do. If its only to save 3 or 4 thousand then I would elect to have a cabin to myself. When its saving tens of thousands - I bite the bullet and share.

I don't want to share with some I know, much less someone I don't know.

I don't like snorers, I am a light sleeper.

As for the SOLO Supplement of 100% , it's not fair. I am willing to pay more but 100% is crap.

I search for solo supplement sales. I have paid double more than once. But my next bookings will be reduced Solo Supplement/ or a last minute bargain.

I have no interest in the Single cabins being offered. I looked at one once and their interior cabins paying double was cheaper.

We just fall for everything don't we. So those are my parameters. Show me your not taking advantage of me and I will try your cruise line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twenty years ago and longer, we stayed at several bed and breakfast where there were two bedrooms that shared a bathroom. Owners told us that in more recent years, too few people were willing to do this, so they had to make modifications.

Might have considered sharing a cabin in my 20's, certainly not now as a senior.

I can't find it now, but the reason is that solo passengers are more likely to book cruise excursions, more likely to socialize in the lounges and spend on alcohol, more likely to spend in the spa.

Interesting. I and other solos I've met don't fall into that category. I spend very little on alcohol and don't go to the lounges. I do purchase a spa pass but don't pay for any service there, and never book cruise line excursions. I don't know a lot of other solos, but other than alcohol their spending patterns are similar to mine. Of course the purely anecdotal. It would interesting to see the actual number.

FWIW, the reason solos paying double on a cruise is not the same as in a hotel (IMO), is that a cruise is more than a hotel. So passengers may take up the cabin space of two, but they don't consume as much food and drink as two, don't use the same amount of hot water as two, don't take up as much space in the lounge or theatre as two.

Yes, I totally understand that difference, but my comment was an observation of something similar that most people don't think twice about and don't complain about. But, when it comes to paying double occupancy on a cruise, some can't seem to get past the "unfairness" of it. Now, if they charged me double for anything else I bought on the ship, I'd definitely consider it unfair!

When I book a hotel, I usually get a double at a single rate.

Also I just booked a River Cruise, the single supplement was not double quite a bit less. However, the supplement was waived on this particular sailing.

Interesting. I and other solos I've met don't fall into that category. I spend very little on alcohol and don't go to the lounges. I do purchase a spa pass but don't pay for any service there, and never book cruise line excursions. I don't know a lot of other solos, but other than alcohol their spending patterns are similar to mine. Of course the purely anecdotal. It would interesting to see the actual number.

I think I would agree with you there. I might have "a glass of wine with dinner" - the rest of the time I live on water. I have never personally been into a lounge. I have never been into the spa (other than the free tour on day one where I mostly walk around thinking how dull and expensive !!). Depending on the destination I may or may not buy the cruise line excursion. I know lots of solos - they certainly outnumber my "couples" friends and we are all quite similar in our travel needs.

I am in my early 50's. When I was in my early 20's I went on a cruise with a friend of mine. Carnival had what they referred to as quad sharing at the time. We were matched up with two ladies in their 60's. It worked out fine. One of them was having a fling with the captain. She was not allowed to stay in his room. It was funny how she was never in our room at night. The other woman would lay on the floor naked and struggle to put her pantihose. Lol! It worked out fine then but I would never share a cabin with a stranger these days.

I am in my early 50's. When I was in my early 20's I went on a cruise with a friend of mine. Carnival had what they referred to as quad sharing at the time. We were matched up with two ladies in their 60's. It worked out fine. One of them was having a fling with the captain. She was not allowed to stay in his room. It was funny how she was never in our room at night. The other woman would lay on the floor naked and struggle to put her pantihose. Lol! It worked out fine then but I would never share a cabin with a stranger these days.

The Rock The Boat charter is offering quad shares. Much as I still like 60s music - no thank you!