NCL Adult Beverage Package Promo

rf53

Hello,

I am looking for some information/advice regarding the NCL Adult Beverage Package Promo. I am booked on the NCL Escape, and my rate includes the NCL free at sea package. One of the choices in this package is the Adult Beverage Package. Since there is always a catch, I have a couple of questions that I hope some of you NCL veterans can answer.

1. I noticed that NCL calls their beverage package the "Ultimate Beverage Package", yet the free at sea package promo calls it the "Adult Beverage Package". Are these two the same, or is there a difference?

2. There are a few restrictions to this package. Among them is the fact that drinks over $15, and "Super Premium" brands are not included and will cost more. What does NCL categorize as a "Super Premium" brand?

3. Another restriction is that one may order only one drink per transaction. Does this mean that for each drink one orders you must close out that tab? If so, when one orders a drink in the restaurants will the staff close out the tab and allow a second drink to be ordered from the package on a separate tab?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Here is the detailed information on the Ultimate Beverage package:

https://www.ncl.com/onboard-packages/beverage-packages

There are a lot of different bars on Escape and they all serve different drinks. Anything under $15 is included, and then you pay a gratuity of 18% on the drink. If you choose a drink that is more than $15, what they typically do is deduct $15 from the cost of the drink you ordered and then you pay the rest as well as the 18% gratuity. Here are the NCL Drinks menus for Escape which lists out brand names and more:

http://www.cruisewithgambee.com/norwegian-drink-lists/

I most drink wine and then once in a while I have a cocktail. With the Ultimate Beverage package, I NEVER had to pay for anything I drank on our NCL Breakaway Cruise - only the tip. As far as the ticket goes, when you order your drink they ask for your cruise card and typically, they will give you the ticket when they deliver the drink. So if you order again, the same time will likely happen. But if you tell them you are going to have 2 drinks there, then, they might not close it out.

In the restaurants, my husband and I both ordered 2 - 3 glasses of wine each. As I recall, if we ordered the same wine by the glass, the waiter would often open a new bottle for us and then keep it nearby pouring additional glasses of wine from that bottle - I think each bottle equals 4 glasses and that's what he would charge us for. If we wanted more glasses of the same wine, he'd open a new bottle for us and pour it by the glass. The UBP works great! Very convenient! As I recall, the wine by the glass would be on one bill and the food on another in venues such as Le Bistro and Cagney's.

Edited by SuiteTraveler

There are a lot of different bars on Escape and they all serve different drinks. Anything under $15 is included, and then you pay a gratuity of 18% on the drink. If you choose a drink that is more than $15, what they typically do is deduct $15 from the cost of the drink you ordered and then you pay the rest as well as the 18% gratuity. Here are the NCL Drinks menus for Escape which lists out brand names and more:

I most drink wine and then once in a while I have a cocktail. With the Ultimate Beverage package, I NEVER had to pay for anything I drank on our NCL Breakaway Cruise - only the tip. As far as the ticket goes, when you order your drink they ask for your cruise card and typically, they will give you the ticket when they deliver the drink. So if you order again, the same time will likely happen. But if you tell them you are going to have 2 drinks there, then, they might not close it out.

In the restaurants, my husband and I both ordered 2 - 3 glasses of wine each. As I recall, if we ordered the same wine by the glass, the waiter would often open a new bottle for us and then keep it nearby pouring additional glasses of wine from that bottle - I think each bottle equals 4 glasses and that's what he would charge us for. If we wanted more glasses of the same wine, he'd open a new bottle for us and pour it by the glass. The UBP works great! Very convenient! As I recall, the wine by the glass would be on one bill and the food on another in venues such as Le Bistro and Cagney's.

You don't pay 18% at the time you order your drink that's included in the plan if you have the package. The 18% is either paid up front with your cruise fare, or if you're a suite or Haven passenger it's waived. You can leave an additional gratuity if you wish, but the 18% is already taken care of. Also, there's no longer a "tab" if you have the package . You don't have to sign anything. Originally you had to sign the receipt, but were not actually charged for the drink. That was changed a while back (unless the change was undone and they went back to requiring you to sign the receipt recently).

Edited by njhorseman

You don't pay 18% at the time you order your drink that's included in the plan if you have the package. The 18% is either paid up front with your cruise fare, or if you're a suite or Haven passenger it's waived. You can leave an additional gratuity if you wish, but the 18% is already taken care of. Also, there's no longer a "tab" if you have the package . You don't have to sign anything. Originally you had to sign the receipt, but were not actually charged for the drink. That was changed a while back (unless the change was undone and they went back to requiring you to sign the receipt recently).

Thanks. Very helpful. Do you know if you can use the beverage package at the Cellars Wine Bar?

Thanks. Very helpful. Do you know if you can use the beverage package at the Cellars Wine Bar?

It's good for wine sold by the glass for $15 or less. Not good on bottles of wine, although you would get a discount on them. Not good for wine sold at wine dispensing machines.

I'm not familiar with how wine is sold at that bar, but as long as it's wine poured by the glass you should be good for glasses of wine costing up to $15.

If you are getting the UBP as a promo, they will charge you the 18% of the value of the UBP before hand. We will be cruising in September and chose the UBP (which we've done twice before). We had to pay the ~$99/pp gratuity as part of our final payment this time (they figure the UBP is worth $79 a day for the 7 days).

You had to pay the 18% Gratuity as part of your final payment? Can you be more specific?

That is already pretty specific. Whatever you owe for final payment, added to it will be 18% of the value of the UBP. That value depends on the length of your cruise.

That is already pretty specific. Whatever you owe for final payment, added to it will be 18% of the value of the UBP. That value depends on the length of your cruise.

I got the promo for UBP and I was told that the 18% gratuity is included and that i wouldn't be charged anything regarding to drinks for the whole cruise ship as long as i stayed below $15.... and now i see other people saying they have to pay the 18% gratuity? :confused::confused:

I got the promo for UBP and I was told that the 18% gratuity is included and that i wouldn't be charged anything regarding to drinks for the whole cruise ship as long as i stayed below $15.... and now i see other people saying they have to pay the 18% gratuity? :confused::confused:

If you look on your cruise invoice and there is a charge for approx $198 (if there are two adults in your cabin) then that is more than likely your UBP gratuities. We made our final payment for our cruise in Sept several weeks ago and part of that was the $198 for gratuities for the UBP. Once we get on the ship, we will not be charged gratuities for the drinks we order from the UBP (although we usually give a little extra for good service).

[sometime in the fall of last year they changed the cost of the UBP so if you booked prior to this time, the amount may have been a little less. We booked last July and had the cheaper gratuities but then the fare went down over $400 so they lowered our fare but made us pay the higher gratuities. The gratuities were only something like $20 difference, if that.]

When I said final payment, I mean final payment before cruising, not the bill you receive on the final night of the cruise.

Edited by johnrich

If you look on your cruise invoice and there is a charge for approx $198 (if there are two adults in your cabin) then that is more than likely your UBP gratuities. We made our final payment for our cruise in Sept several weeks ago and part of that was the $198 for gratuities for the UBP. Once we get on the ship, we will not be charged gratuities for the drinks we order from the UBP (although we usually give a little extra for good service).

[sometime in the fall of last year they changed the cost of the UBP so if you booked prior to this time, the amount may have been a little less. We booked last July and had the cheaper gratuities but then the fare went down over $400 so they lowered our fare but made us pay the higher gratuities. The gratuities were only something like $20 difference, if that.]

When I said final payment, I mean final payment before cruising, not the bill you receive on the final night of the cruise.

I only have a charge of

• Choice Promotion Service Charge:
    $99.54

Thank you for the explanation, what I understood from what you said is that the 18% is included in the $99.54, Hope that is correct. Thanks once again.

Edited by miamicruising1991

If you are getting the UBP as a promo, they will charge you the 18% of the value of the UBP before hand. We will be cruising in September and chose the UBP (which we've done twice before). We had to pay the ~$99/pp gratuity as part of our final payment this time (they figure the UBP is worth $79 a day for the 7 days).

So if I am understanding this correctly, the 18% gratuity paid on the UBP promo is based on a daily value of $79 (the actual per day cost of the UBP). My cruise is six days, so the 18% comes to $85.32 per person.

Now the math...

I upgraded to the cabin rate that includes the "free at sea" package ($400 more) and selected the UBP and three restaurant package from the "free at sea" deal . My cabin will lodge two people, so the cost of the upgrade was $200 per person.

The actual value of these upgrades plus 18% gratuity according to the NCL web site is $559.32 per person ($474 + $85.32) for the UBP, and $95.97 per person ($81.32 + $14.65) per for the meal plan. That comes to $655.29 per person (or $1310.58 for two) if you purchase them on board. Since our upgrade cost for the cabin was $400, adding 18% of the actual cost of the UBP ($85.32 x2), and 18% of the cost of the meal plan ($14.65 x2) to the $400 brings the total of the upgrade to $599.94. This was $710.64 less than the cost of purchasing these plans on board.

Given the fact that I would have dined at at least three premium restaurants anyway, subtracting the cost of the meal package from the promo cost leaves the UBP promo at $408 (or $204 per person). Over the six days that brings my cost of the UBP promo, including the 18% tax, to $34 a day per person. That is not bad! Every soft drink or beer beyond three alcoholic beverages each day is gratis. Under these circumstances I think the promo is worth it!

Question. I know that water bottles are not free with the UBP, but what about club soda at the bar?

• 6 months later...
Are the specialty coffees included in the UBP

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app

NCL does NOT include any specialty coffee on board with the UBP unless it contains alcohol in them. For example we paid for cappuccino's and iced coffee's, but we did not pay for an Irish Coffee.

There was originally a tip on the NCL board a while back about this. It was said if you order a espresso or cappuccino with a shot of XYZ in it, but asked them if they could put the shot on the side it would be included. We did not try this FYI just what was said. I believe my DH's cappuccino's were only like $3? Something around there on the Breakaway last June. I probably would have tried that trick, but we got a Haven upgrade and that Lavazzaa machine was good enough for us to take around the ship with us

Are the specialty coffees included in the UBP

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app

UBP does not include any espresso based coffee. Now you can get coffee with bailey's in it, but think you would run into trouble with a cappuccino with bailey's. It also doesn't include bottled water, mini bar, drinks delivered by room service, bottles of wine, buckets of beer, souvenir cups, and tastings/flights.

• 2 months later...
Hello,

I am looking for some information/advice regarding the NCL Adult Beverage Package Promo. I am booked on the NCL Escape, and my rate includes the NCL free at sea package. One of the choices in this package is the Adult Beverage Package. Since there is always a catch, I have a couple of questions that I hope some of you NCL veterans can answer.

1. I noticed that NCL calls their beverage package the "Ultimate Beverage Package", yet the free at sea package promo calls it the "Adult Beverage Package". Are these two the same, or is there a difference?

2. There are a few restrictions to this package. Among them is the fact that drinks over $15, and "Super Premium" brands are not included and will cost more. What does NCL categorize as a "Super Premium" brand?

3. Another restriction is that one may order only one drink per transaction. Does this mean that for each drink one orders you must close out that tab? If so, when one orders a drink in the restaurants will the staff close out the tab and allow a second drink to be ordered from the package on a separate tab?

Thanks in advance for the help!

We experienced the UBP for the first time in December, as part of the free at sea. One thing to know...it is NOT free...NCL estimates a gratuity charge and you will that in advance on each package. On our 7 day, it was around $90 per person, if memory serves. Still well worth it, in my opinion. I'm not a huge drinker, but it's nice to not have to worry about it.

Yes, they close out your ticket each time. But you can keep ordering from the same spot over and over. Not a big deal. They just give you the ticket. Only if you want to add extra gratuity should it concern you.

As you surmised, not everything is covered. Wine by the glass choices under $15 are fairly limited...but if you get something more than the $15, you will only pay the difference, plus 18% of that difference. For mixed drinks, you will find, for example, that you can get Johnny Red & Black on the UBP, but if you upgrade to Blue...you'll pay $3 more. Fine tequila will cost you more, as well as a number of scotches. And then occasionally a random drink will surprise you...Dark and Stormy's were $17! Overall, during the 7 days, we spent MAYBE an extra $12 buying upgraded drinks. Honestly, all but the most picky drinkers should be able to be pretty happy with the $15 limit.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
14 hours ago, Escaping2016 said:

I have a question about sharing.  I got the ultimate drink package as a promo (my child/cabinmate got soda).  I am just wondering if I share an occasional drink with my friend (who doesn't have the package) will I get into trouble?

Only if you get caught, since you are not supposed to share.