What to pack for alaska cruise, rain jackets and more

Lisichka

Thanks so much! I'm really happy to hear this!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Don't sweat the small stuff. You will have a fabulous time and don't spend a ton of money on clothes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Going late August. Will probably wear my old hiking boots because they are waterproof. Will take an old pair of sneakers which may not make the trip home. Probably also a pair of flip flops and ballet flats for the ship. Have a water resistant rain jacket I've had for probably twenty years. Has a hood and takes a serious downpour to soak through. It has seen the world. Always wear it on the plane when I travel because planes are cold! Biggest challenge is weather can be almost anything so need a few short sleeve, long sleeve, sweatshirts. Probably only bring one pair of shorts. Jeans will do unless it's really hot. Still figuring it out but your suggestions are all helpful.

I can't stress enough whatever shoes you bring for walking around make sure you have worn them a lot at home so they are comfortable. Lesson learned from my first cruise when I couldn't even wear the shoes I brought to wear in port. Ended up wearing the shoes I brought to wear at the pool!

Just because someone else had good weather in AK doesn't mean you will. The odds are there will be rain. As some of us have pointed out, these tips are for people doing active shore excursions. But even just walking around for a few hours, there is nothing more miserable than soggy shoes and wet socks. If you're bringing plain old sneakers for ports, go to REI or whatever outdoors outfitter is in your area and buy some spray-on waterproofing.

Just because someone else had good weather in AK doesn't mean you will. The odds are there will be rain. As some of us have pointed out, these tips are for people doing active shore excursions. But even just walking around for a few hours, there is nothing more miserable than soggy shoes and wet socks. If you're bringing plain old sneakers for ports, go to REI or whatever outdoors outfitter is in your area and buy some spray-on waterproofing.

Our Walmart -- I live in a desert! -- carries spray on waterproofing.

You are right. I forget a lot of people go on a cruise to Alaska just to sight see and not to be active. I should probably have been more specific and said this is for the active cruiser who plans to do some hiking, kayaking etc.

A lot of the suggestions are for less active cruisers as well though. The suggestion to layer (take a water proof jacket and sweaters for underneath) and sneakers that are comfortable.

I hoped my post was helpful. I can tell many of you do not think it is. My apologies. :(

Thank you for taking the time to put this list together. I find it very helpful whether you plan to be very active or use a guide for more leisurely visit. Very helpful. Thanks. MJ

Love this post!

We are looking at cruising in 2017 at either the last week of August or the first week of September. I see a few posts where cruisers that time of year experienced nice weather but is that the norm?

We plan on bringing layers to prepare for both types of weather but are there items that we should consider packing for that time of year vs what was listed that seemed more appropriate for high season?

TIA

I am just curious if applying a waterproofing substance to your walking shoes would stop them from breathing.

I will take waterproof keen hiking shoes. Don't need the boots but absolutely want dry feet and these are waterproof. And yes, I wore them when I went to Oregon and was so glad I had them.

OP, I think it is a good post. I likely would have packed a winter jacket, but with a Northface fleece and a completely waterproof Northface rain jacket (that weighs some ridiculously light weight like 5 ounces) I might be fine.

One question....you listed 5 zip up hoodies. Are you talking about something other than like a fleece? It wouldn't have occurred to me to take more than one of an outerwear item.

Nothing in Alaska is normal where weather is concerned. Wait 5 min and it will change.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'd normally say thanx for the reply but that didn't answer my question as to whether there things that should be added to the packing list for low/late season cruises.....

I'd normally say thanx for the reply but that didn't answer my question as to whether there things that should be added to the packing list for low/late season cruises.....

Regardless of when you cruise to Alaska, packing is the same .... LAYERS, topped with a hooded waterproof jacket. The only difference might possibly be, if they're having a particularly warm spell, pack 2 prs of shorts/capris instead of 1. If they're having a particularly cold spell, pack long underwear. Look at the weather sites, like wunderground, weatherchannel, etc to watch for weather patterns and the forecast for each port. Forecasts aren't accurate but they'll give you an idea.

If you do a small boat cruise, or sail near glaciers, make sure you have gloves, and if your jacket isn't hooded, bring a hat.

I live in the rainy Pacific NW so I pack the usual clothes that I wear around home .... jeans, a pr of khakis, several tshirts ( short and long), 2 sweatshirts/hoodys, a fleece, a vest, a pr of shorts. You only need to change the layer next to your skin each day, so you need 7 T's, but only 2-3 sweatshirts/sweaters. I wear sneakers on the plane since they're the heaviest/bulkiest and pack a pr of walking shoes.

Regardless of where I travel, I bring a small daypack ....if the day heats up I've got a place to store my jacket and if the day turns ugly, I have a jacket stored inside. Plus it's a handy place to keep my wallet, camera, sunglasses, binoculars, map, snacks, drink, rain poncho.

DON"T bring an umbrella! They're dangerous in crowds and block views.

If you have specialty excursions, the vendor MAY supply outerwear ( fishing, dog sledding, ice trekking). Check with the vendor.

Easiest thing to do ...... look at photos in past trip reports and you'll see what people wear to Alaska !!! 90% of the time they're in jeans, sweatshirt, jacket carrying a small backpack. It's not that complicated.

Edited by mapleleaves

Wife and I were looking at what we currently own that we could use next September and wondered what everyone's thoughts are on 3-in-1 jackets like the Columbia Bugaboo Interchange or The North Face Arden - waterproof outer shells with zip out fleece liners?

Wife and I were looking at what we currently own that we could use next September and wondered what everyone's thoughts are on 3-in-1 jackets like the Columbia Bugaboo Interchange or The North Face Arden - waterproof outer shells with zip out fleece liners?

Herfnerd - I wish I had one -that is exactly what I would pack. I will be in Alaska in the middle of September and will report back. I am taking a rain jacket and a fleece to put under it - kind of the same idea. Will let you know how that works out.

Julie

Herfnerd - I wish I had one -that is exactly what I would pack. I will be in Alaska in the middle of September and will report back. I am taking a rain jacket and a fleece to put under it - kind of the same idea. Will let you know how that works out.

Julie

That will be fine. No need to go out and buy expensive new jackets if you already have pieces that work.

We're just finishing up our RCL trip. Layers are a must. Temps are in the low 50's in the morning but have rising into the 60's. It has rained at least a few minutes in every port. Sneakers have been fine for all our excursions (tours and whale watching).

One thing I wish I knew is that all but two nights are casual dress for dinner. The other two are formal, I packed too many nice dinner clothes.

Lots of good info on the thread. Thanks OP!

When in AK last time we decided to take a walk in Juneau--ended up hiking to the top of the tram. I'm old and not in Olympic shape but made it. It sprinkled a couple times during the hike making our jeans wet--very uncomfortable. It made hiking more difficult having wet jeans stuck to my legs. My point is that you may be doing something you don't do at home so it's good to be prepared. Running through rain into the mall from your car isn't the same as being outside for several hours without shelter.

We had rain coats with us but it was in the 60s making the rainwear too warm while hiking, they were in our backpacks most of the hike. The hike was fun with beautiful scenery and we were rewarded with a free ride down the tram.

Bathing suit is a must for the hot tub after a wet hike. :D

Just booked Aug 21, 2018 Alaska cruise as we need a handicap cabin. Love this thread and from what Iam reading we are mostly ready clothes wise. Gloves? Those are on the to-buy list as extreme SE Georgia doesn't call for those very often and what I have are more "fashion" than useful.

I realized right off the list was geared to a very active person but overall there has been some great ideas.

Headed to the Caribbean in Feb and then will get serious about Alaska.

Just got back.

Glacier days aboard ship....

t-shirt, long sleeve tech shirt, underarmor hoodie. If it was windy or raining (which didn't happen aboard ship for the glacier stops) I had a simple Stearns rain coat to go over it all.

Took a pair of lightweight gloves (basically like driving gloves) and never used them.

What we actually wore and carried:

Fairbanks: wore Shorts, sandals, t-shirt... hoodie in the morning. Carried - daypack got the hoodie after about 10am ...maybe sooner... rain jacket in daypack (ALWAYS). Sunglasses, bug spray (never used it once), sunscreen (used it once in Fairbanks then never needed it again)

Denali: wore jeans, sneakers, t-shirt, hoodie, rain jacket (on and off rain showers about 30% of the time). carried sunglasses

McKinley: same as Denali basically. rained a lot at the lodge, but we did a day trip into Talkeetna and had excellent weather. In Talkeetna we in jeans, sneakers, and t-shirts. Carried hoodie and rain jacket, sunglasses

Basically....

Jeans, sneakers, t-shirt. Add a long sleeve shirt or a hoodie as needed. Rain jacket ALWAYS available. Whatever you're not wearing is in the daypack.

Only really needed warm gear (more layers) when we were at the glaciers.

Observations: The ponchos people had were mostly the "emergency poncho" types. You know.... like glorified trash bags. They were pretty terrible overall. Too flappy in the wind, difficult to get on and off easily. For an environment like this... I wouldn't recommend them. Get a rain jacket or rain shell that can double as a wind breaker. It does NOT have to be some expensive thing and you may already own one. But for the amount of rain encountered, get something (or pack what you have) that says you planned for rain. Not some makeshift trash bag that suggests it was unexpected. :) You'll be much happier.

• 2 weeks later...

Lisichka thanks for the great info very helpful we are leaving on Wednesday heading to Vancouver to sail. This will be our third trip and we are very active. If you are going to Denali definitely take hiking boots that are waterproof. I have had a pair of Vasque boots for over 8 years and they are so comfortable and warm. I am very cold natured person so lots of layers is my recommendation and I am never caught without gloves.