All Things Viking World Cruise

spangler

The 2017 Viking World Cruise is a first for them to include it occurring on a new ship “Sun”. This thread will allow for an open exchange by CC members that have completed a world cruise, have cruised on Viking Ocean ships or those planning on going on the Viking World Cruise. A more specific roll call will likely be initiated in the future after CC establishes a roll call section for “Viking Sun” that cruisers going on the cruise to socialize.

As a start if there were an FAQ page for the World Cruise, what questions would you like it to answer?

The 2017 Viking World Cruise is a first for them to include it occurring on a new ship “Sun”. This thread will allow for an open exchange by CC members that have completed a world cruise, have cruised on Viking Ocean ships or those planning on going on the Viking World Cruise. A more specific roll call will likely be initiated in the future after CC establishes a roll call section for “Viking Sun” that cruisers going on the cruise to socialize.

As a start if there were an FAQ page for the World Cruise, what questions would you like it to answer?

Spangler,

Thanks for starting this thread. I hope it will be well used over the next months.

How lucky are we: maiden voyage, brand new ship, first Viking WC?

Looking forward to the exchange and, of course, the "Trip of a Lifetime," for real.

Karen and I plan to sail on the Sun's 2018 WC from LA.

We have relatives who have sailed on Viking's river cruises and they have been very complimentary of the Viking experience. Viking Ocean has gotten high accolades throughout the industry and we really like the photos of the Sun's sister ships.

We have been fortunate to have sailed on the Regent Voyager (700 pax) for World Cruises in 2007 (111 days) and 2010 (119 days). They were great experiences. Friends couldn't believe we jumped wholeheartedly into the 2007 cruise after only experiencing a couple of 10-12 day length cruises previously. For the first one, we looked forward to all the ports to be visited, but didn't realize how wonderful shipboard life would be. About 200-300 folks sailed on the entire world cruise and others joined during segments.

When you enjoy excursions, lectures, social house and open-seating meals with folks over a 4 month period you make life-long friends. We expect to do so again in 2018.

Viking Ocean appears to be pretty inclusive. I hope the included excursions are varied and well-run. It is my hope that Viking will consider including visas for all the ports not covered by the ship's blanket visa.

Below my signature is a link to my 2010 WC blog. If I can answer any questions, please pass them on.

About 200-300 folks sailed on the entire world cruise and others joined during segments.

I asked on board if they would be selling segments for this cruise and was told that they are 60% sold out and at this point don't anticipate selling segments and if they do it won't happen until 6 months prior to the trip. We can't do a WC but would love to do Australia with Viking.

I asked on board if they would be selling segments for this cruise and was told that they are 60% sold out and at this point don't anticipate selling segments and if they do it won't happen until 6 months prior to the trip. We can't do a WC but would love to do Australia with Viking.

They may offer segments in future year WC's. Thinking sense this is Viking first go at a WC there will be many lessons learned and it might change future WC options.

Many cabins sold within the first few weeks it opened. Anticipate many may cancel as we get closer and the final payment or other factors come into play.

Would like to know about mail, specifically, recurring medications. Typically limited to 90 day supply. If anyone has experience either getting longer (like a 141 day supply) or having them delivered to a ship, would love to hear your experience.

I had to deal with a similar situation when my daughter went to study overseas for a year. I called my insurance company and worked out with them getting enough pills for her to take with her. That was 15 years ago and it was not very difficult.

Even if you do get a full supply, be sure to bring with you written prescriptions for all of your drugs (ask your doctor to write it very legibly for non-English speaking eyes) and your eyeglasses, just in case. (And I would photograph them and make sure that I have them in a couple of different places that I can access from anywhere --such as in an e-mail to myself and my children).

If you need refrigeration or have sharps or have other special needs, call Viking directly to discuss your needs with them. There is a number on their website to call:

When you make your reservation, please let us know of any disability that will require special attention while you are on your Viking Ocean Cruise itinerary. Should you have any medical, physical or other special needs, check the fleet information on our website to gain an understanding of the layout of any particular ship, and contact Viking Cruises, Inc., at 1-855-884-5464 (1-855-8VIKING) directly with additional questions and to obtain a copy of our policy statement.

Would like to know about mail, specifically, recurring medications. Typically limited to 90 day supply. If anyone has experience either getting longer (like a 141 day supply) or having them delivered to a ship, would love to hear your experience.

Our experience with TriCare and ExpressScripts was that you could get an exception to the 90-day limitation. Would not try to mail to a ship in international port.

Would also like to see FAQ address luggage handling. 1 or 2 suitcases is not a huge deal, but may need more. Shipping to the ship or some other scheme to get luggage there would be helpful.

There are services, such as Luggage Free, that will do that for a fee. We plan to drive to LA, so we plan to take a third collapsible bag with consumables (meds, toiletries, etc.), so that we'll only have 2 each when returning from Heathrow.

Our experience with TriCare and ExpressScripts was that you could get an exception to the 90-day limitation. Would not try to mail to a ship in international port.

Thanks Larry. That is what I thought, but appreciate that you shared your experience. Was not thinking mail was a good idea, but it came to mind.

Cruise Critic article: How to Prepare for a World Cruise

Haven't read it; just pointing it out.

I just read the article and suggest that for those who haven't done a world cruise before that it is a good checklist of things that you will have to do before you cruise.

The list includes: passport issues, vaccinations, travel insurance, keeping in touch, banking, house sitter, packing issues, formal wear?, filling prescriptions, e-readers and other electronic gear, setting goals for down time and planning for ports.

I want to share just one paragraph from the article and then tell a story:

Set goals for your downtime.
Despite all the activities on the cruise ship, you'll have plenty of time to yourself on multiple sea days in a row. Many world cruisers use the time to accomplish a tangible goal, such as learning how to use an SLR camera, speak a foreign language, play bridge or knit. Who says you can't be idle but also productive at the same time? Make some pre-cruise resolutions and pack the gear you'll need, such as language CDs or knitting needles and yarn.

Here's my story: Ten years ago or so, we were on a cruise around the southern horn of South America. We had a huge and very active roll call (big ship, lots of people, lots of ports), so active that we actually planned events for ourselves that went beyond the normal meet and greet event at the beginning of the cruise. One of our members taught Spanish in a continuing ed situation and she volunteered to teach us Spanish over the course of the cruise (maybe six classes and they were well attended). Another gentleman was an oenophile and he lead a wine tasting; those participating brought bottles of wine on shore and they all sampled them together. There were one or two other activities that I can't remember but they were all organized by roll call members volunteering do or teach something. The cruise line was very supportive of our plans and let us use one of the meeting rooms for our activities.

Now, having done my first Viking cruise, I would guess that the WC roll call will be filled with folks with skills and knowledge that they would be willing to share for an hour or two over the course of four months --not just knitters and bridge-players but all sorts subjects. Who knows? Just one word of caution-- don't wait until you get on board to say you will organize; it won't happen.

• 4 months later...

On another Viking thread (in Dec 2016) folks were wondering about Visas for the WC, paticularly China and India due to the timing of when one can apply and alleviate the worry that passports would not be returned before departure.

I discussed needed visas with my TA couple months ago. I suggested that Viking consider the obtaining of visas as an included amenity such as Regent did for our 2 WCs with them.

Most of the group entry docs will be obtained by the ship's purser in individual ports. In a couple countries we had to show up in person in the theater soon after docking.

For the 2-3 countries that required actual visas in individual passports, Regent paid for us to use their selected passport agency to obtain them. We had the passports back in plenty of time for our 111- and 119-day WCs.

My TA in Oct said that Viking was unsure of which countries would require individual visa and how they would be handled. I will be asking my TA again to ask the questions in January and to encourage Viking to include it as an amenity.

• 2 weeks later...

Never done a world cruise, but have done long cruises. Here's what we do to make sure we have adequate meds.

Ask your doctor for a paper Rx for your drugs (hopefully none are controlled narcotics - this method won't work for them). Take the Rx to one of the pharmacies that will sell your Rx without insurance for a nominal charge (usually $4-7). Walmart, Target, I think Sav-on and probably others. Buy out of pocket.

The cost is about the same if you have a copay, but your insurance company doesn't get involved. That's where the 90 day limit comes from.

• 1 month later...

We are booked for this first Viking World Cruise and can hardly wait until December 2017 to begin the great adventure.

This is the only Cruise Critic Thread that I have been able to find pertaining to this World Cruise on the Viking Sun.

If you know of any other thread or place to share information and arrange activities, please post it here.

Thanks,

Jim and Sandy, Santa Cruz, CA

Jim and Sandy, there is a roll call for your cruise but, somehow, while there is a sub-forum for the Viking Sun, it has not been properly linked into the new "Find Your Roll Call" tool and so has to be found the old-fashioned way by navigating your way through the roll call forum.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2411108

Roll call is a good place to chat with those who cruising with you and this forum is a good place to connect with the wider Viking community and perhaps those have done world cruises in the past but are not necessarily following your roll call.

I want to second Larry1365's thought that Viking should include a Visa Package especially for Americans and Canadians. It's sort of expected at this level for a truly luxury cruise I think. If Regent can do it, surely Viking can! This is the only item causing angst since we booked!

I want to second Larry1365's thought that Viking should include a Visa Package especially for Americans and Canadians. It's sort of expected at this level for a truly luxury cruise I think. If Regent can do it, surely Viking can! This is the only item causing angst since we booked!

All well and good talking about it here but if you really want the idea to be considered, write to Viking directly at tellus@vikincruises.com. Now is the time to do it, while there is still time to organize it properly before it is time to start applying for the visas.

this was posted on our ROLL CALL for the world cruise yesterday

Good news on World Cruise visas. Here is what I received a couple of weeks ago from my TA:

Visa Requirements

The Viking World Cruise products requires visas for entry toseveral countries. Viking Cruises will be working closely with Generations VisaServices to prepare an appropriate packet for guests to complete (at no cost tothem). Additional details will be available closer to departure.

Bottom line, Viking will pay for visas not covered by blanket ship visas. This is similar to what Regent did for our two world cruises with them. A very nice perk. Thanks, Viking.

All well and good talking about it here but if you really want the idea to be considered, write to Viking directly at tellus@vikincruises.com. Now is the time to do it, while there is still time to organize it properly before it is time to start applying for the visas.

Looks like someone already suggested it. ;)