Pre cruise 10 night DIY land tour questions

Missusdubbya

Hi there, could you please give me some feedback on a possible itinerary for a pre cruise 10 night DIY land tour in late August 2017? (part of a 9 week US and Canada trip)

We are a couple in our late thirties from Australia, visiting Alaska (first timers) preceding a cruise from Seward to Vancouver. We are interested in scenery, wildlife, short hikes, breweries and historical sites.

Our itinerary:

Day 1 & 2 - fly into ANC at approx 1pm, collect rental car and head down to Girdwood for 2 nights. While here we will visit the Conservation Centre, Portage Glacier, Alyeska Tram, and maybe a short hike in the area.

Day 3 - depart Girdwood and drive to Talkeetna overnight

Day 4 - depart Talkeetna and drive to Denali (staying at Carlo Creek) for 3 nights. Explore the Park for one afternoon and 2 full days, including prebooked shuttles and short hikes.

Day 7 - depart Carlo Creek and drive to Anchorage (via Palmer area) for 2 nights. Return rental car. Visit heritage centre and breweries.

Day 9 - take the train from Anchorage to Seward, stay 2 nights. Do a whale tour, visit the glacier.

Day 11 - embarkation day for 7 night cruise to Vancouver.

Can you please give me some advice on achievability?

Also, I was thinking about not staying in Talkeetna and add the extra night to Denali or Anchorage - what are your thoughts?

Thanks for your help! :)

Edited by Missusdubbya

Hi there, could you please give me some feedback on a possible itinerary for a pre cruise 10 night DIY land tour in late August 2017? (part of a 9 week US and Canada trip)

We are a couple in our late thirties from Australia, visiting Alaska (first timers) preceding a cruise from Seward to Vancouver. We are interested in scenery, wildlife, short hikes, breweries and historical sites.

Our itinerary:

Day 1 & 2 - fly into ANC at approx 1pm, collect rental car and head down to Girdwood for 2 nights. While here we will visit the Conservation Centre, Portage Glacier, Alyeska Tram, and maybe a short hike in the area.

Day 4 - depart Talkeetna and drive to Denali (staying at Carlo Creek) for 3 nights. Explore the Park for one afternoon and 2 full days, including prebooked shuttles and short hikes.(do this first)

Day 7 - depart Carlo Creek and drive to Anchorage (via Palmer area) for 2 nights. Return rental car. Visit heritage centre and breweries.

Day 9 - take the train from Anchorage to Seward, stay 2 nights. Do a whale tour, visit the glacier.

Also, I was thinking about not staying in Talkeetna and add the extra night to Denali or Anchorage - what are your thoughts?

Go to Denali first . This way you won't be crossing your tracks a few times.

Would you share your Vancouver post-cruise? We sail June 2, 2017 from Seaward, planning land part now before we book air. Not sure if we will need more than 5 days in Alaska. Would also like to do some travel in Vancouver to Seattle. Thank you!

Our itinerary:

The Winner Creek trail is a popular hike. You can start from the resort or from the Crow Creek road.

Be sure and stop by the Flying Squirrel Bakery on your way into Talkeetna.

Day 4 - depart Talkeetna and drive to Denali (staying at Carlo Creek) for 3 nights. Explore the Park for one afternoon and 2 full days, including prebooked shuttles and short hikes.

I personally wouldn't overnight in Anchorage. And I would use some of this time to go up to the Matanuska Glacier and do a glacier hike with MICA guides. https://micaguides.com/ You could overnight in the area or in the Palmer/Wasilla area.

I made a few comments above in red. Overall I like your trip. Nice and relaxed. You mentioned breweries. In the Denali area there's the 49th State Brewery. In Talkeetna is the Denali Brewing Company. In the Palmer area is several breweries. The Bearpaw River Brewing Company is the newest.

Our itinerary:

Skip Talkeetna and go directly to Denali unless you are planning to do a Denali flyover. It just isn't worth it

If you are at all into museums, visit the Alaska museum in Anchorage, It is a great museum. Also, I was very disappointed with the Heritage Center. Drop that and find the time to go to the Independence Mine State Historical Park. The park is the real thing and not a bunch of fake buildings in a Heritage Center and the drive to it is a wonderful drive - http://www.alaska.org/detail/hatcher-pass.

Keep the rental car and use it to drive to Seward. The drive to Seward is one of the great drives in the whole country - http://www.alaska.org/guide/seward-highway.

I have made a bunch of comments within your post.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

I made a few comments above in red. Overall I like your trip. Nice and relaxed. You mentioned breweries. In the Denali area there's the 49th State Brewery. In Talkeetna is the Denali Brewing Company. In the Palmer area is several breweries. The Bearpaw River Brewing Company is the newest.

Thanks for the brewery tips!

Our itinerary:

I suggest you spend more time, determining how you are going to spend your time, in what you have selected. Do you have touring out of Talkeetna chosen? Your Girdwood area- with what you list is one day. I'd suggest you might want to consider a PWS boat tour? Why Palmer??? going to Matansuka?

Day 9 will be extremely early with what you currently are thinking. You have an hour drive- then have to turn in your car and get back to the rail depot- recommended an hour ahead. which is in the range of 3/4am??? Not the best idea.

There are no "whale tours" in Seward. They are varied wildlife, whales are not always seen. Don't waste day 11- this can be another Seward touring day. I never recommend giving priority to- getting on a cruise ship "early", take advantage of the fantastic opportunities out of Seward. This option, if you don't want to add more activities- could work well, with 1 night in Seward and 1 in Anchorage. Better use of time with the Alaska RR.

I suggest you spend more time, determining how you are going to spend your time, in what you have selected. Do you have touring out of Talkeetna chosen? Your Girdwood area- with what you list is one day. I'd suggest you might want to consider a PWS boat tour? Why Palmer??? going to Matansuka?

Day 9 will be extremely early with what you currently are thinking. You have an hour drive- then have to turn in your car and get back to the rail depot- recommended an hour ahead. which is in the range of 3/4am??? Not the best idea.

There are no "whale tours" in Seward. They are varied wildlife, whales are not always seen. Don't waste day 11- this can be another Seward touring day. I never recommend giving priority to- getting on a cruise ship "early", take advantage of the fantastic opportunities out of Seward. This option, if you don't want to add more activities- could work well, with 1 night in Seward and 1 in Anchorage. Better use of time with the Alaska RR.

Thanks Budget Queen - I obviously wasn't clear enough - we have 2 nights in Anchorage planned, we are just visiting the Palmer area on the way through. So definitely no 3am starts. Thanks for your input

Would you share your Vancouver post-cruise? We sail June 2, 2017 from Seaward, planning land part now before we book air. Not sure if we will need more than 5 days in Alaska. Would also like to do some travel in Vancouver to Seattle. Thank you!

Hi Fiveone, we have provisional plans in Vancouver to visit Capilano, Grouse Mountain, Granville Island, Stanley Park and a few breweries. I did think about visiting Vancouver Island for a couple of nights as well, before we head out to Alberta.

Hi Fiveone, we have provisional plans in Vancouver to visit Capilano, Grouse Mountain, Granville Island, Stanley Park and a few breweries. I did think about visiting Vancouver Island for a couple of nights as well, before we head out to Alberta.

Thank you for your suggestions. I've been focused on Alaska. Hope you have a wonderful trip!