Villefranche/Nice

romaine

Sailing on the Equinox with scheduled stop Villefranche/Nice August 8, 2016. No indication from Celebrity regarding change in Itinerary. Scheduled a Small group tour Monaco/Eze with Viator. Policy allows cancelation within 7 days. Thoughts on canceling and re-booking similar shore excursion with Celebrity. not much of a price difference. However, Viator offers a little more flexibility. Your wisdom is appreciated.

We have a stop there in October & have a tour booked with an independent tour operator. We plan to go. Bad things can and do happen everywhere it seems. If someone wants to do harm I would feel less a target being in a mini-van with 5-6 others than in a large our bus that is obviously full of tourists.

We have a stop there in October & have a tour booked with an independent tour operator. We plan to go. Bad things can and do happen everywhere it seems. If someone wants to do harm I would feel less a target being in a mini-van with 5-6 others than in a large our bus that is obviously full of tourists.

I think OP is more concerned about the possibility of celebrity canceling the Port. Celebrity has cancelled the upcoming stop to Nice.

Sailing on the Equinox with scheduled stop Villefranche/Nice August 8, 2016. No indication from Celebrity regarding change in Itinerary. Scheduled a Small group tour Monaco/Eze with Viator. Policy allows cancelation within 7 days. Thoughts on canceling and re-booking similar shore excursion with Celebrity. not much of a price difference. However, Viator offers a little more flexibility. Your wisdom is appreciated.

Although their cancellation policy is within 7 days, most tours don't penalize you if the ship cannot make the port because of weather or other unforeseen circumstances. I would check with them to find out should the ship divert to another port.

Why would they cancel? Things have been pretty normal (or at least a new normal) there for days already.

I seriously doubt they'll cancel the port. I'd go on the Viator tour if I were you. Keep it and most likely, you'll be on it enjoying the day, but it's your risk to take.

There is way more to do out of Villefranche than Nice but I thought the reason the cancelled Nice was out of respect, they didn't need 3,000 tourists that day

If you think there's a chance of losing money, then by all means cancel and go with Celebrity. Villefranche was probably the best private excursion we've ever done.

There is way more to do out of Villefranche than Nice but I thought the reason the cancelled Nice was out of respect, they didn't need 3,000 tourists that day

If you think there's a chance of losing money, then by all means cancel and go with Celebrity. Villefranche was probably the best private excursion we've ever done.

That is exactly what i thought! Nice is a wonderful place to visit. Canceling means that a lot of companies won't make any money from that particular cruise. I thought that they didn't want people gawking at that particular area. I would have definitely wanted to go and pay my respects by laying flowers etc. It was yet another horrific terrorist attack in France. I have been to Nice two times and am going again next year...do what your conscience tells you to do.

So much uncertainty. I don't think there can be an accurate answer on this one. I'll throw in my 2 cents. If you are concern about losing money from Viator, then book Celebrity. If you're more concern about safety (yes, a bus is a bigger target), then take Celebrity. If you're concern about not being getting back to the ship on time (say if something happens at port) and you're on a private tour, the ship may leave if you miss cut off time. My suggestion is look for another tour where you can cancel the day before or won't charge you if the ship doesn't come into port. At least that you can eliminate some of the concerns!

Edited by lisalovlee33

We have not made any additional modifications to any upcoming sailings that visit Nice. However, Celebrity Cruises will continue to closely monitor the changing situation in Nice and will contact guests or their travel agents should we make any modifications to upcoming itineraries. Our decision making process will always be driven by our concern for the safety and well being of our guests and crew members.