East coast transfer for Celebrity Summit

We are asking for advise on getting from a hotel close to JFK airport, down to Cape Liberty Cruise port.

We fly in late from Australia, and originally contemplated staying closer to Cape Liberty Port, but not sure what is the best decision..

Ā 

Any advise would be appreciated....:)

You will be MUCH closer to your cruise if you stay in New Jersey than near JFK. By far and away your easiest (not least expensive, but easiest) option would be to book a car from either Dial7 or Carmel (both can be priced and booked on the internet). You'll then need a taxi or car service to get to the cruise the next day. You'll be exhausted, but traffic should be better, and you won't have to deal with NYC traffic on your way to the terminal.

Ā 

Carol, our resident Cape Liberty expert, has been seriously recommending the Robert Treat Hotel in Newark a lot lately. Hopefully they come along with thoughts. Most people staying in Newark are flying into Newark, or are driving in the night before.

Ā 

I'm going to "guess" you're looking at over $200 round trip to and from the cruise port from JFK. Do you have any options to readjust to Newark? Are you just planning on spending the night and leaving on the cruise the next day?

We are asking for advise on getting from a hotel close to JFK airport, down to Cape Liberty Cruise port.

We fly in late from Australia, and originally contemplated staying closer to Cape Liberty Port, but not sure what is the best decision..

Ā 

Any advise would be appreciated....:)

Ā 

I answered your question many hours ago on the other thread where you posted it.

Ā 

I advised you to book a car service such as Dial 7 or Carmel Limo.

Thanks for your advise guys, sorry about the repeat message, your reply didn't come through until now..

It has made us rethink a few things, but you are correct when you say we will be exhausted, my husband is nearly 80, and the flight via Dubai from Oz is a long one.

But all will be good šŸ‘šŸ¼

Thanks for your advise guys, sorry about the repeat message, your reply didn't come through until now..

It has made us rethink a few things, but you are correct when you say we will be exhausted, my husband is nearly 80, and the flight via Dubai from Oz is a long one.

But all will be good

Ā 

I'm not keen on recommending that folks stay at JFK. However, plenty of folks do. Your flight may arrive at 8:45 pm, but who knows how long it will take you to get through immigration and customs on a Sat night? Perhaps it's not the worst strategy to just crash at a JFK hotel instead of taking a late night ride to Newark.

Ā 

Somebody please comment on picking a car service time for an 8:45 international arrival and the potential for wait charges.

Ā 

Sunday's are the lightest traffic day of the week in New York, so going to Bayonne on a Sunday morning before noon should be fine. That way you pay only two car service fees. If you go JFK-Newark-Bayonne-JFK you will pay about $55-65 to add on the Newark-Bayonne leg and you may pay a bit more for the JFK-Newark leg.

Ā 

If you decide to go to Newark, please post back for additional assistance. The Robert Treat is probably not the best option for this scenario.

Edited by 138east

Hey thanks for all the help, very kind.

The report on the area Jamaica where the Days Inn and suites are is a bit concerning, but it does have a free shuttle from the JFK to the hotel and back, so we could get a transfer from jfk to the port on the 18th. To be truthful it is getting us so concerned,especially at our age, my husband is nearly 80.

We would not have booked this trip if we had realised it was so hard to get to the port...but We really are looking forward to New England area, it is high on our bucket list...... I am sure we will sort it out..

Ā 

Thanks again....

Edited by Bed & Breakfast

I commented on the other thread yesterday, are you clearing US immigration & customs at LAX first before resuming flight to JFK, on Delta ? If so, it's a domestic flight into NY so no long wait on a Saturday late evening, just make sure you eat dinner somehow as Days Inn won't have anything.

Ā 

Ā 

via Nexus 5X, Google Fi / WiFi network on Tapatalk, VPN secured

Edited by mking8288

I commented on the other thread yesterday, are you clearing US immigration & customs at LAX first before resuming flight to JFK, on Delta ? If so, it's a domestic flight into NY so no long wait on a Saturday late evening, just make sure you eat dinner somehow as Days Inn won't have anything.

Ā 

Ā 

via Nexus 5X, Google Fi / WiFi network on Tapatalk, VPN secured

Ā 

If I understood the OP correctly, they are flying from Australia via Dubai, so as far as I know, that would mean customs and immigration at JFK.

Ā 

There's no easy solution to this other than to spend more money. It's the worst week in Manhattan because of Fashion Week and the UN General Assembly opening, so there are no real deals on downtown Manhattan hotels.

Yes you are correct we fly via Dubai into JFK at 8:45 so we will need to get the customs clearance. We shall take the tip and have something to eat before we leave for the hotel, and if we can't get a hotel pick up we shall get back to JFK the following morning for a transfer car..

Thanks for all your advise.:)

Yes you are correct we fly via Dubai into JFK at 8:45 so we will need to get the customs clearance. We shall take the tip and have something to eat before we leave for the hotel, and if we can't get a hotel pick up we shall get back to JFK the following morning for a transfer car..

Thanks for all your advise.:)

Ā 

There is no reason why you should have to return to JFK to pick up a transfer car. When you ask for a quote, specify the hotel name as the pickup location and specify Cape Liberty, Bayonne NJ, as the destination.

There is no reason why you should have to return to JFK to pick up a transfer car. When you ask for a quote, specify the hotel name as the pickup location and specify Cape Liberty, Bayonne NJ, as the destination.

Ā 

Ā 

Agreed. Is there a way to prebook via the internet? Then I would confirm as soon as I arrived at the hotel. Then next morning I would confirm again. I would leave hotel at 10:00 am.

Ā 

Going through Customs at JFK is horrendous. More so for non US citizens. To make it worse, using cell phones in the Customs Hall is prohibited. If you have trouble with the hotel transfer simply get a yellow medallion taxi. Don't go with any car service, these guys are there illegally. By NYC law no car service can pick up pax unless prearranged by pax.

Agreed. Is there a way to prebook via the internet? Then I would confirm as soon as I arrived at the hotel. Then next morning I would confirm again. I would leave hotel at 10:00 am.

Ā 

Going through Customs at JFK is horrendous. More so for non US citizens. To make it worse, using cell phones in the Customs Hall is prohibited. If you have trouble with the hotel transfer simply get a yellow medallion taxi. Don't go with any car service, these guys are there illegally. By NYC law no car service can pick up pax unless prearranged by pax.

Ā 

Yes - you can book on the Internet. Dial7 and Carmellimo have online coupons if you look around for them. Getting quotes is just step 1 so the OP has a basis for price comparison. Step 2 is actually booking.

... flying from Australia via Dubai ... customs and immigration at JFK. There's no easy solution to this other than to spend more money.

Ooops, I missed catching DXB as the transit so they are likely flying Emirates' A388 into T4 at JFK (Terminal 4, that's Delta Airline's terminals) - 13 hours segment but it's the whale of the sky, double decker. We've flown a few times on KE to/from Asia, even nicer than the 748's - just exhausting due to jetlag.

Ā 

Once done with immigration & customs and go outside/downstairs in arrival, leaving the secured area. There's a dinner and a Dunkin Donut at the east wing & west wing arrival hall area, should still be open to something first (most of the dining options are "airside" or post-security and you won't be able to access them without a valid boarding pass.) Otherwise, you will have to go to Terminal 1 where there are more food & beverage options pre-security or land-side, before going to the hotel for check-in & rest.

Ā 

JFK's AirTrain is on elevated tracks, follow signs and ride free to Federal Circle with your luggage, where all the hotel shuttles are - Days Inn is at section/area "C" & there are free direct-dial phones to call them for pickup. Each loop/pickup is spaced about 20 to 30 minutes apart so be patient - for that 2 miles ride, less than 10 minutes away. The luggage cart rental isn't free in NY, cost was $7 USD - bills only - to rent/use it last year.

Ā 

If you are tired & don't want to wait, hail a yellow taxi at the terminal to take you directly to Days Inn (get into the taxi with the luggages loaded first, before telling the driver your nearby destinations - by law, they cannot refuse a "short" trip but will get a special "ticket" from the taxi dispatcher on duty, to allow time to return & skip the taxi holding/waiting line for the next fare-paying passenger.) Metered fares should be no more than $10 to $12 and add a 20% tips.

Ā 

In the other thread, I confirmed from Carmel's online site with a fare of about $86 for a 4 door sedan plus tolls, depending on which is the best/faster route on a Sunday morning to Cape Liberty. Figure on about $120 to $130 in total if the driver recommend using the Belt Parkway to Staten Island VZ Bridge crossing to NJ and 90 minutes as your typical travel time from the hotel - Carmel has the Days Inn on their listing so they will gladly pick you up in the morning. Absolutely no reasons to go back to JFK for the trip to the cruise terminal. Dial 7 will do the same.

Ā 

Just keep in mind that at 10 or 10:30 PM (or later) at night, very few places will have any delivery service to the Days Inn - with the possible exception of a nearby pizza or Chinese takeout, eat first once you are done with immigration/customs. It is somewhat hidden/behind a mostly industrial area, with automobile repair shops & parking for school buses, etc. - nothing to walk to nor to walk around in the dark, as it is off the Belt Parkway's service roadways on the south side.