Incredible upgrade.

Toronto Guy

Now why would a cruise line give you an upgrade when they just sold out that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

this makes sense to me. The cruise apparently was sold out in the lower price categories and was indeed oversold. They withheld selling every last cabin in high categories in order to have room to accommodate their surplus passengers. Airlines have been doing this for a very long time.

Has anyone ever been upgraded from an inside guarantee to concierge class? Just happened to me - I'm still in shock. Celebrity is a great cruise line. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toronto Guy, did you book in US or CAD? Wondering because we booked our first time with Celebrity in CAD and when I saw a deal on a guaranteed suite my travel agent phoned and was told a really low price to upgrade to it. She phoned me. I said yes. She phoned back and Celebrity reneged, telling her it could only be done if I switched my booking to US$. First phone call they told her 3 times that the deal was in CAD. So now I'm wondering if you can only get upgrade deals if you book in US$.

this makes sense to me. The cruise apparently was sold out in the lower price categories and was indeed oversold. They withheld selling every last cabin in high categories in order to have room to accommodate their surplus passengers. Airlines have been doing this for a very long time.

I hear what you're saying however I could understand it if they would move the lower-level folks to the next level and then step ladder the rest of them up into the high-end units. Moving a low end unit to the highest level makes no sense they should be promoting those that paid more into the higher level and so on down the line so I must disagree with the concept although it may be true. As for moving an economy class airline passenger to First Class I have never heard of it.

Wow. That's a great upgrade--Enjoy your cruise!

On our last cruise (Connie this past May) we booked one of the last o/v cabins. There were no balcony cabins available at the time though there may have been CC or AQ. A couple of weeks before we sailed X called with an upsell offer to a balcony. It was quite expensive (I think I remember $800 p/p) so we declined and assumed that was the end of it. When we got to the pier to check in we found they had upgraded us to the balcony for free :) It does happen sometimes but I never count on it. Just enjoy your good luck!

Toronto Guy, did you book in US or CAD? Wondering because we booked our first time with Celebrity in CAD and when I saw a deal on a guaranteed suite my travel agent phoned and was told a really low price to upgrade to it. She phoned me. I said yes. She phoned back and Celebrity reneged, telling her it could only be done if I switched my booking to US$. First phone call they told her 3 times that the deal was in CAD. So now I'm wondering if you can only get upgrade deals if you book in US$.

I booked in CAD Dollars.

Now why would a cruise line give you an upgrade when they just sold out that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Wow. Having a bad day? I could act this out with sock puppets for you, but why bother.

Precisely. At least that's what my best guess would be.

Celebrity routinely assigns Guarantee's into higher categories and if you (or your TA) are savvy you can see where Inside or Oceanview GTY's are being sold, but only Balcony staterooms are actually "un-berthed" - then those voyages would be a good candidate for a bump-up to Balcony.

However it is a gamble as if someone cancels an Inside or Oceanview last minute and that stateroom goes back in the pool, then this would be probably assigned. Rule of thumb - you can definitely increase your odds of up-assignment when booking close-in if your savvy, but as always you need to be happy with the cabin category you book if that is what is ultimately assigned.

I upgraded a Westbound TA voyage from Balcony to a W Suite GTY 5 days out from sailing, and there were only Royal Suites actually left to assign. Sure enough, got a nice Royal assigned ;) Now THAT was a nice cruise!

Princess and Holland seem to do a much better job of managing inventory and squeezing every last potential upgrade dollar out of folks. Holland in particular almost routinely sends through up-sell notices 5-14 days out offering Veranda (for OV or IN guests) or Suites for Veranda guests. Of course, these have to be paid for - so you have to do the math on the upgrade being worth it. If they don't get enough takers, they often send out revised offers with an even lower up-sell price point.

By doing this, Holland and Princess get some incremental dollars out of the last minute cabin shuffles, thus freeing up an Inside or OV for folks in Guarantee status awaiting assignment. Long story short - not as likely to get a free bump up on HAL on a Guarantee (at least not from Inside to OV or OV to Balcony).

Celebrity works very differently. It's interesting for sure to us cruise fanatics. :D

Edited by YYC F/A

As for moving an economy class airline passenger to First Class I have never heard of it.
It is not at all uncommon on airplanes, and may be done for any of a number of reasons.

Probably the most likely reason that you never heard of it is that they just move people up quietly. They don't make a public announcement. ;)

Because sometimes the interiors sell out and they only had a handful of verandahs lefts so popped him on there. I also booked an interior gty. received a balcony :) not too bad

I hear what you're saying however I could understand it if they would move the lower-level folks to the next level and then step ladder the rest of them up into the high-end units. Moving a low end unit to the highest level makes no sense they should be promoting those that paid more into the higher level and so on down the line so I must disagree with the concept although it may be true. As for moving an economy class airline passenger to First Class I have never heard of it.

Often happens on airlines .. especially if your travelling solo.. They never announce it they just call you to the desk at boarding

I suspect the same points apply to the cruise.. The airline or cruise line dont want to have to start shuffling people when one simple move will suffice.. wherever is overbooked gets moved

Edited by ighten

I had an upgrade on harmonyoftheseas inaugural. Booked a Central Park view and called up to pay for the difference to a cp balcony. They said they couldn't do it and there seems to have been a bit of confusion. I think they thought I wanted it for free. When in the end I explained no, I am more than willing to pay for it. They said. Oh sorry yes no problem. Then upgrade me and said it was on them for the confusion!